SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Great Dispatch from Lagos

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Slate.com has a writer sending daily dispatches from Lagos. Right now he's on Day 3.

Most telling part so far:

Quote:
There is crime in Lagos. Bank robberies, muggings, and con schemes are common. Religious violence is relatively unknown here, however. People of every conceivable religion and ethnicity, from every corner of West Africa, come to work in Lagos. So why don't they bring their ethnic and religious baggage with them?

One possibility is that Christians and Muslims often intermarry in Lagos, a rare event in most other regions of the country.

Rotimi Farawe is a court official and a devout Muslim. I met him at the central mosque, where he prays daily.

"I'm an Alhaji," he said, referring to his pilgrimage to Mecca. "I married a Catholic woman who goes to church every Sunday, and she's still in my house. She goes to church; I go to mosque. It works out."

Their five children have attended a Methodist school and a Quranic school.
Another reason may be government intervention and a strong inter-religious council. Lagos state forbids two religious buildings from being built side-by-side. When a conflict arose recently over a church's desire to expand on a plot next to a mosque, the issue was quickly taken to the council and settled amicably.

But the real reason may also be the simplest: Lagosians are too busy.

In the search for work, money, and advancement, there seems to be no time for religious violence in Lagos. Churches and mosques espouse a healthy desire for wealth in most of the country, but Lagos is the physical embodiment of that desire, and people have far too much to do.

I asked one of the religious leaders at Lagos' central mosque why Lagos remained peaceful.

"We're too busy," he said.

I asked a banker friend why Lagos didn't experience the same troubles as other cities.

"We're too busy trying to make money," he said.

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
Goldry Bluszco
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Now that is funny Laughing

pony
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
microburst
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing Well, filling out all those WU security forms takes time!!!! Laughing

"i was crazy looking for you at the airport that very moment you arrive..." -J3ffy Kw4me
Closed lad accounts x5
BobCat
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

yes, the cybercafes are busy Smile

lots of lads working on the EmTeeCeeEn Seec00re forms Smile

" I THINK WE HAVE TO PUT END TO THIS GAME,AND REASON WHY I SAID THIS IS BECAUSE I CAN NOT CONTINUE WITH GOING TO WESTERN UNION" Dr Bens0n
"DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT TAKE TO GET A MAGA IS NOT EASY MAN, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE CAUSE ME FOR TWO WEEKS NOW I CAN PAY MY HOUSE RENT THEY ARE ABOUT TO SEND MY FAMILY OUT OF THE HOUSE WE LIVE" Dr @d3kun13 Bens0n
"I THOUGHT I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING YOU WANTED WHY ARE YOU STRESSING US OUT." - Mu$@ H0us3

Closed lad accounts x 24 United Kingdom x1 Cellphone x2
Catcher In The Lie
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Churches and mosques espouse a healthy desire for wealth in most of the country, but Lagos is the physical embodiment of that desire

Interesting.... I've read that many lads see no conflict whatsoever between scamming and attending religious services.

Lad translation of two commandments must be:

Thou shalt steal steadfastly
Thou shalt not rest on the Scammath Day
Rolling Eyes

pony
"I don't want you to be burdered again." Ali the hitlad Sule
Click here to support 419Eater.com
BobCat
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^

Actually

"Thou shalt not steal from thy broda (from everyone else is OK)"

" I THINK WE HAVE TO PUT END TO THIS GAME,AND REASON WHY I SAID THIS IS BECAUSE I CAN NOT CONTINUE WITH GOING TO WESTERN UNION" Dr Bens0n
"DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT TAKE TO GET A MAGA IS NOT EASY MAN, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE CAUSE ME FOR TWO WEEKS NOW I CAN PAY MY HOUSE RENT THEY ARE ABOUT TO SEND MY FAMILY OUT OF THE HOUSE WE LIVE" Dr @d3kun13 Bens0n
"I THOUGHT I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING YOU WANTED WHY ARE YOU STRESSING US OUT." - Mu$@ H0us3

Closed lad accounts x 24 United Kingdom x1 Cellphone x2
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic