SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Scammer attack against 419 eater

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
1966 Bonneville
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am an old member but have been away for a while, I heard there was some sort of lad retaliation against this site last year. Is there some info posted or can someone fill me in?
I tried the search function and found nothing.....

Thanks

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As far as I am aware they tried to Flash Mob the site and we were down for quite a while.

Whether the tech guys found a way of stopping them doing this or once they realised we weren't going to go away they gave up I am not sure but things have been back to normal for a while now *touchwood.*

You will have to munch the statistics of the transfer so I can give to them - Mr. James Hessom Hessom

If not that you only hide behind computer and be playing prawns with us - Benny Clifford

Pith Helmet France - Luxembourg

Closed lad accounts x26 - 2012 Closed lad accounts x258 - 2013
Closed lad accounts x263 - 2014 Closed lad accounts x160 - 2015
Closed lad accounts x204 & x1 - 2016
Closed lad accounts x177 - 2017 Closed lad accounts x81 - 2018
Closed lad accounts x85 - 2019 Closed lad accounts x9 -2020
(Grand Total Closed lad accounts 1,262) Golden Pig
Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I believe he is talking about the DDOS attacks.

Try using that as a search query.

I found this and a few others

http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146147&highlight=ddos+attack

Sand Timer 8/11/07-12/15/08 i am totally a looser -Bruce The trophy machine

Sand Timer 2/25/08-4/10/10 It is going to cost me more this time - Lawrence, EFCC Lad Deck participant

Sand Timer 3/3/08-6/6/10 i know some day you'll send me some real good bucks ok - Byran The Eater Bunny

Sand Timer 3/13/08-3/25/10 i have played my path and now I am waiting for the pay - Wale Wild card
4X1X9
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^

DDOS! That is the one! I knew Flash Mob wasn't quite the right word I was looking for.

You will have to munch the statistics of the transfer so I can give to them - Mr. James Hessom Hessom

If not that you only hide behind computer and be playing prawns with us - Benny Clifford

Pith Helmet France - Luxembourg

Closed lad accounts x26 - 2012 Closed lad accounts x258 - 2013
Closed lad accounts x263 - 2014 Closed lad accounts x160 - 2015
Closed lad accounts x204 & x1 - 2016
Closed lad accounts x177 - 2017 Closed lad accounts x81 - 2018
Closed lad accounts x85 - 2019 Closed lad accounts x9 -2020
(Grand Total Closed lad accounts 1,262) Golden Pig
gonzo4life
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

These things are so easy to launch and, like the 419 scams themselves, cost next to nothing to get underway. Scammers using an Internet cafe probably wouldn't be able to launch an atttack like this, unless the entire cafe's users were in on it. A group using computers from their homes would be a different story.

Entire packages of DDoS software can be found online. The best defense is to prepare for them ahead of time by assuming that somebody, someday, might want to take your site down. Simply assuming that the scammers are a bunch of uneducated goons who don't have enough brain cells to even think of something like this is to set yourself up for a hard fall.

I am assuming that, after the last attack, this site is well-protected.

What could cause a problem is if a large enough group of scammers were to download the needed programs and have the knowledge to use them properly, they could organize themselves enough to set-aside a particular time and date on which to launch the attack. Then, on D-Day, multiple computers would launch their assault at the same time and keep it going non-stop.

The result would be a crashed site, expended bandwidth and higher financial costs to restore the site.

There are some Internet users who crash sites just for the hell of it. Others takedown sites with which they have personal issues with (e.g. racist websites) and take them down as a show of opposition. White nationalist Hal Turner got hit by the group Anonymous for this reason.

An attack launched by the "Just for the Hell of It Crowd" is unlikely, due to the widespread dislike of 419 scammers. In other words, they hate them more than they might hate you, if they hate you at all. There could be no ideological reason to attack 419eater and I have seen no word of any such attack to be launched against this or any other baiting site. In fact, 419eater is mentioned on one of their sites, Encyclopedia Dramatica, and scambaiting is not attacked per se.

So, future DDoS attacks are not likely to occur unless the scammers get organized. I do think that 419eater being attacked might set-off a war launched against the scammers either in retaliation or just for the LULZ.

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I never take my tin hat off just in case.... Smile

pony
"I don't want you to be burdered again." Ali the hitlad Sule
Click here to support 419Eater.com
manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

DDoS attacks are frequently just paid for from a botnet herder, and there's little you can so about it in that case, other than wait for it to vanish and have a contingency plan. It won't be a gang of lads in a cafe, their combined bandwidth puts them all in contention with one another anyway Wink

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It wasn't lads, but Vlads - they also attacked AA419 at the same time.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Apart from making the system 'harder' it's not hard to work out how to function as normal, so the attack had no great effect on the work we do, other than to make a lot of baiters increase their efforts to close down fake sites.

It also caused other unrelated sites to band together and pool resources, such as Castle Cops who are, alas no longer with us.

You can't underestimate the damage these people can do, as they did take down the whole of one of the Baltic states internet, but on the flip side, they will get some very serious people, in dark glasses, using high tehnology to locate and award them very long periods in jail.

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic