SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Another Nigerian scammer jailed

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
AL1VE
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

News article quoted below :

Link

Quote:
KUALA LUMPUR: A Nigerian woman was jailed for a year and three months for attempting to cheat a government officer through e-mail saying he had won a “Microsoft 2008 Anniversary” lucky draw prize of US$1mil (RM3.64mil).

, 26, a business studies student at a private college here, is said to be the first person to be convicted under the Penal Code for such a scam.

Okotie from Benin, who changed her plea to guilty after a witness testified at her trial earlier, was also slapped with four months’ jail for overstaying in Malaysia after her student pass expired on July 22 last year.

Magistrate Siti Shakirah Mohtarudin, however, ordered the jail terms run concurrently from the date of her arrest on Aug 27.

According to the facts of the case, the probe into the scam started after assistant financial administrator Buang Md Sayuti received an e-mail purportedly from a “Microsoft Internet promotion’’ dated July 14 last year, saying that he was a winner of the lucky draw.

When he checked his e-mail at his office on Aug 19 last year, it stated that the lucky draw was held on July 11 at the Stanford Bridge Stadium in London.

The next day, he received another e-mail saying that he was the fourth winner and would have to pay a processing fee of US$2,750 (RM10,018) to deliver the prize money to his house.

Buang received another e-mail on Aug 25, saying that all processes had been settled and the delivery would be made to him through one Eagle Finance and Courier Company in London.

Okotie claimed to be a representative of the delivery company. Upon her arrival, Buang was asked to pay US$2,550 (RM9,289) to her to enjoy an exemption from any inspections in Malaysia.

On the same day, Buang received a call from Okotie, who introduced herself as Sophia Young, and asked him to meet her to make the payment to get the “item” that was said to be kept at the high commission here.

Okotie gave him three days to settle his payment. She sent him another e-mail the next day, asking for a copy of his identity card and related documents.

Suspecting something amiss, Buang contacted police and arranged a meeting with Okotie at Kuala Lumpur City Centre at 2.45pm on Aug 27.

Shortly later, she was arrested for further investigations.

Pleading for leniency Tuesday, her lawyer B. Renuka said Okotie had been remanded since her arrest and could not afford to pay a hefty fine because she was debt-ridden in her country.

She asked the court to consider Okotie’s status and that she came from a poor family and had a young child to care for.

DPP Azimul Azami Mohd Nor pressed for a deterrent sentence, saying that it was a pre-meditated crime.

Nice name. Did anyone get that Microsoft scam email?

Safari Magnus: Lagos --> Cotonou
Safari Benjamin: Accra --> Monrovia
Safari Mustafa: Banjul --> Dakar
Safari Steve & Santos: Johannesburg --> Maputo
Safari Gift & Ubochie: Johannesburg --> Maputo
Safari Gift: Johannesburg --> Harare
Safari John: Accra --> Abidjan
blah
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Peace Okotie, 26, a business studies student at a private college here, is said to be the first person to be convicted under the Penal Code for such a scam.

That is EXACTLY why these scams are so popular... Rolling Eyes

M7CN Mangler - 1998 clicks. This process is absolutely embarassing. - Sgt. Jones
M7CN Mangler+SecSh1eld+Allst@r= How dear you make me go thru such stress.. - Fr@nk West

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here for dirty nasty pr0n!!1]</a>
pony pony pony
Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x6
Star
CowboyBuck
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

"...first person to be convicted"

I think they mean in Malasia.

The ladette lived in Malasia so she was easier for the law to catch.

Smile

United States United Nations
Ireland United Kingdom Switzerland Germany Netherlands France Italy Spain Ukraine
South Africa Nigeria Ghana Australia Japan China Malaysia
Argentina Columbia Panama
Right now I am getting pissed with your responses
And still you later claimed there are snakes on the road to the Western Union
Please for the sake of humanity help Mr. Felix and I to get this money
blah
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^

Well I gathered that from the "KUALA LUMPUR" reference.

Scammers are worldwide of course, but I have also received a good portion of scam emails that point to Malasia.

M7CN Mangler - 1998 clicks. This process is absolutely embarassing. - Sgt. Jones
M7CN Mangler+SecSh1eld+Allst@r= How dear you make me go thru such stress.. - Fr@nk West

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here for dirty nasty pr0n!!1]</a>
pony pony pony
Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x6
Star
gonzo4life
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Most crimes have some sort of plan to cutdown on their occurance. Specialized teams to investigate and stiff sentences upon conviction are the usual methods.

However, there is no plan in-general against online scams, except for relying on educating the public which has mixed results.

I think its fair to say that a good number of scammers will never run into a baiter during their active time running scams, due to the low number of baiters vs scammers.

Arrests like this are the exception, rather than the rule. If free webmail providers would act more quickly and decisively, if law enforecement had qualified people to pursue scammers across international lines, etc it wouldn't really pay to be a scammer,

Honestly, the best weapon against the spread of online scams is to have more baiters. Seriously.

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It would be nice to get that particular government official's email address and send it to a lad as a ripe mugu ready for the taking. Wouldn't be an ITP as he'd be well aware of what it was and probably go after him as well Smile

pony
"I don't want you to be burdered again." Ali the hitlad Sule
Click here to support 419Eater.com
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What I find interesting is that she attempted to scam and got convicted.

I wonder if the scam had actually worked and if the victim was just a plain old citizen rather than a government official wether they'd have even bothered arresting her.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
gonzo4life
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If she had tried to scam an ordinary person, she would either have gotten away with some one's money or she would have been ignored. I think it was just the audacity of trying to scam a government official that caused the court to want to set an example.

If we could find a police officer in Malaysia who is willing to participate with us and to whom we could forward scam letters we receive from Malaysia, then we could have an impact on Malaysia-sourced scam letters.

In fact, if we could find police in any or all of the jurisdiction we receive scam letters from and who could take-up scam baiting on their own, we could bring this whole thing to a conclusion in just a few years.

But, that's not going to happen. As long as scammers go after John/Jane Q. Citizen, these scams will be around for a long time.

419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So did the bloke ever get his lottery winnings? Confused

Oh [the captive] ate his own willy!!! HAHAHAHA. I saw the look of excitement in his eyes like no other meat taste better!! yummm yummm! HAHAHAAHAHA. He cut his big right toe, his penis and penis shaft at different stages- funny funny funny!! He did this where some promiscous women do all sort of things. I know they were all thrilled. ahahahahahhhhhaaaaaa. His penis shaft was sewn to his nostril and more!! The doctor did a good job!! My men took picture of him parading him around the market square and public schools where everyone sang him wanker praises!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! I will continue to torture him unless I receive my $150,000 reward for wasting my time!! Period!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic