SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Ethics

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Badgerbait
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I like to think we engage in behavior modification. Since we are over intellectualizing this whole thing let view this approach.

By providing necessary negative stimuli to the scammer we are, infact, begining a process which will eventually ween the scammer from the undesired behavior. Thus, we cause the scammer to become, though directed baiting, a responsible member of the internet society. Perhaps by perscribing this behaviorial therapy to the vast majority of the scammers we may have further impact on the culture as a whole, eventually eliminating the need for scambaiting as a whole.

Until that time comes...

-----------
Closed lad accounts x13 Goat Easter Egg Mortar x3 x4 Elite Ninja Team Member

We are Karma's soldiers.
<a href="/forum/donate.php">Mugu Gold</a>

I must be cruel, only to be kind:
Thus bad begins and worse remains behind.
-Hamlet, scene iv

GnarlySpoof
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

For those with intelligible responses. Thank you. I'm going to ignore the personal attacks. It's apparent that it's a highly complex ethical issue with a lot of grey areas and no definitive boundaries which is of course why it is such a difficult topic. By the way, I'm probably in a different time zone from most of you so please don't expect me to respond in "real time" on this thread.

Too many replies of course to respond to individually, but I have to say that for the most part I agree with many of the key principles in baiting. I have no issue with closing down fake banking sites, wasting baiter's time etc, but I think there are areas where boundaries are crossed - in particular cash baiting, trophies and safaris - of course remembering that each case is unique (so I'm generalizing here). Of course my real issue is with the more extreme examples of these - most of the stories are pretty humorous and do seem to have just cause.

All in all I'd have to agree that baiting is preferable to sitting back and doing nothing and the so-called "karmic balance" would sway in favor of baiting. If I had to pick a side of course it would be the side of the baiters - I'm not a "lad lover" or whatever you call it.

However, I do live in Africa and I'm well aware of the situations and troubles that it faces on an economic level. I also agree that poverty is not an excuse - India is a good example of a country with a lot of poverty and low crime levels. It's really a cultural, social, psychological and historical issue. Basically it boils down to a sort of "victim" psychology such as that expounded by Dr Chika Onyeani in his book "Capitalist *DELETED*", an "empowerment" issue so to speak. I don't want to make this a racial issue because it has nothing to do with skin color per se but rather a particular social and historical backdrop in which certain racial groups simply happen to be the majority.

While many of the baiting stories are pretty humorous, there's an underlying sadness that I feel for SOME of the lads in SOME of the stories. Africa is tough place and everyone wants to make some sort of headway. This is particularly evident in those baiting stories where a potential "real job" is used as bait and the enthusiasm of the individual comes out in his responses - one can't help but feel some sympathy for the scammer who might think this is a real opportunity to make some headway in life. If you've ever been to Africa and seen the economic situations that some people face you will know what I mean - I mean the average annual earnings are around $300. Granted, I realize that there is another end to this spectrum where individuals are not enticed by "honest work".

I think each and every scam and bait has to be treated individually on it's own merits. It's easy to generalize and become blaze about this whole issue but I think the baiter has the responsibility to make sure that they don't become blaze. And I realize how difficult this is because you're dealing with people who lie for a living, so the challenge is in how to evaluate your actions for each situation.

Anyway aside from this whole moral issue which is probably an endless debate I think the core focus of baiting should be to get scammers to stop scamming. That's essentially first prize. Am I right or wrong?

Assuming we all agree about that, what strategies are there that actually effect this? I have read a couple of baiting stories where it does seem this was the outcome (though I realize one can never be certain since we're dealing with liars). What about analyzing the actual strategies used in those stories - perhaps a sticky thread. I think such a focus would be far better that tips and tricks on getting trophies.

One story that comes to mind seems to have had some religious connotations - think it was a church baiting - where lad actually responded by saying that after a certain daily ritual involving prayer he had felt "energized" and "revitalized" and had attained a new zest for life, the upshot was that he had left scamming and was working for some or other church (apparently of course - though the mails did seem genuine). I don't even think this was the intention of the baiter but somehow it seemed to have worked out. I realize this is difficult too because bringing religion into these sagas has a whole set of moral implications of it's own, depending naturally on one's own religious convictions (or lack thereof).

I thin it really boils down to the baiter's focus. What's your intention - is it to get the next trophy or is to get these lads off scamming? Now I'm sure most baiter's do start with a sound moral conviction but don't you think some get a little sidetracked along the way? Just asking.
BluthBanana
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

modernPrimitive wrote:
the upshot was that he had left scamming and was working for some or other church (apparently of course - though the mails did seem genuine)

I haven't been here as long as others, but every time I've seen a scammer tell someone he'd given up scamming, they'd email him from a new account to check and guess what? That's right, he sends them the next email in his script. Big surprise.

If there was a way to stop these people from scamming we'd be all ears. Please tell us how!

Tattoo Mortar x11 Closed lad accounts x17 Safari x3

United States Thailand Switzerland Nigeria Sweden x115

pony Golden Goat Goat x2 Mc Fry

Art baits: X-Wing

419 Eater Theatre: The Hitchhiker

Lads & Crocodiles:
Safari x3 Vcamera x3 {John} {Willie} {Kingsley}

Safari x2 - . Vcamera .

"I will never forgive you for all the pains, trouble, frustrations, strandedness and disappointments you have caused us." - David
YeaWhatever
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

modernPrimitive,

I guess that you don't believe in prison then, huh?

Safari<i>"i have arrive safe in namibia"</i> - Tony Kalabi - The Road to the Skeleton Coast
Safari<i>"he is in aswan"</i> - Larry Ken - The Road to Abu Sunbul
Safari The Road to the Hot Zone</a>
T.W.A.T<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89779" target="_blank"> The Making of a TWAT</a>
T.W.A.T<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100535" target="_blank"> The Second Coming of TWAT</a>
Golden Pith Mortar x17
GnarlySpoof
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Badgerbait wrote:
I like to think we engage in behavior modification. Since we are over intellectualizing this whole thing let view this approach.

By providing necessary negative stimuli to the scammer we are, infact, begining a process which will eventually ween the scammer from the undesired behavior. Thus, we cause the scammer to become, though directed baiting, a responsible member of the internet society. Perhaps by perscribing this behaviorial therapy to the vast majority of the scammers we may have further impact on the culture as a whole, eventually eliminating the need for scambaiting as a whole.

Until that time comes...

In a way I think that's a great way to look at it.

There's a term used in risk analysis - "Root cause analysis" and I think until some serious academic work has been done around this area it's going to be hit and miss in causing serious and permanent changes to occur. For each "re-educated" scammer there's probably a new one entering the field. However under the circumstances and within the financial limitations it's probably the ONLY thing that can be done right now.
GnarlySpoof
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

GomerPyle wrote:
modernPrimitive could always test out his 'non retribution' hypothesis by going downtown on a Saturday night and picking the biggest drunken low life he meets and tell him 'he sucks' to discover if his ideas are shared by the world in general.

People's lives are generally ruled by fear. Hope is a means to escape that fear. Drunken "low lives" behave as they do because of fear. Picking a fight with a low life will serve neither party other than to fuel the grandiose delusions of being a great Samaritan on the one hand and fueling the anger of the looser.
GnarlySpoof
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

YeaWhatever wrote:
modernPrimitive,

I guess that you don't believe in prison then, huh?

Well that's a hard one. The question is whether the prisons really result in reform. I suppose it's worth a shot, but with the amount of corruption going on, it's probably more likely to turn someone into a hardened criminal than to be of real value. I suppose it depends on the system in that particular locale.
Spudz
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

On the subject of ethics, but not on baiting, I must have a woeful machiavellan streak in me, I just caught this news story on teletext, it hasn't made it to the main news site yet, (the Garda statement, read below)

Click

The incident was captured on a camera phone which has since been seized by the Gardai who released the statement that just before he pulled the trigger he said "This is how you kill someone"

I've nominated him for a Darwin award and to be honest I cannot stop laughing. If only all the other sewer life would be so helpful and do the same thing.

back on topic, yeah yeah it'd be a wonderful life if we didn't have to do this, join in or feck off. while I'm writing this I'm sure others have picked up on your accusations of cash baiting, get a clue dude, your self righteous ego has made you miss some of our most important rules

4 little monkeys jumping on the bed one fell off and.......

rte.ie if anyone wants to follow the latest developments on that story.

Javed Main:I received your e-mail message but cannot read very well due to the injection I took last night/Please for Gods sake i would'nt like you to address my bank as feck/You are a priest and you are bold enough to tell me that you took 3 bottles of the finest whiskey/Please i am not ready to take more of your insult.

NIGERIA HE GOAT
IF YOU EVER SEND THIS TYPE OF THINGS TO MY EMAIL;; I WILL SHOW MY SELF TO YOU BASTAD NIGERIA HE GOAT....F*CK OFF AND DIE OF UNGER

YOU ARE SUCH A NONENTITY, I NEVER KNEW PEOPLE LIKE YOU STILL IN EXISTENCE. WHAT AN INGLORIOUS BASTARD ARE YOU?

Closed lad accounts x 10-2x33/8 you do the hokey cokey and you turn around and that's what it's all about
YeaWhatever
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's a hard one? Then you truely are clueless.

Safari<i>"i have arrive safe in namibia"</i> - Tony Kalabi - The Road to the Skeleton Coast
T.W.A.T<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89779" target="_blank"> The Making of a TWAT</a>
T.W.A.T<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100535" target="_blank"> The Second Coming of TWAT</a>
Golden Pith Mortar x17
dadeciple
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sir,

You should re-read the baits in which the lad is trying to get what you call a "real job." At almost every step the lad is trying to scam a few bucks for "expenses." It is only greed that drives him not his "enthusiasm" or a "real opportunity to make some headway in life." We live in a cruel word. No matter how you analyze or try to fix it there will always be people who will try and take advantage of other people. This is why criminals come for upper class, middle class, and lower class. This is why success can be found in the lower class, middle class, and upper class.

I could type all day about this but your idealology is much like a scammers second or third response. know matter how much I type or what I say it will not change what is to come.
GnarlySpoof
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

BluthBanana wrote:
modernPrimitive wrote:
the upshot was that he had left scamming and was working for some or other church (apparently of course - though the mails did seem genuine)

I haven't been here as long as others, but every time I've seen a scammer tell someone he'd given up scamming, they'd email him from a new account to check and guess what? That's right, he sends them the next email in his script. Big surprise.

If there was a way to stop these people from scamming we'd be all ears. Please tell us how!

Yeah, this is probably the case, though I've read a few articles and stories where this does seem to be the case. I certainly don't have the expertise to advise on that, but why not make it a community initiative? An R&D project?
GnarlySpoof
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

dadeciple wrote:
Sir,

You should re-read the baits in which the lad is trying to get what you call a "real job." At almost every step the lad is trying to scam a few bucks for "expenses." It is only greed that drives him not his "enthusiasm" or a "real opportunity to make some headway in life."

That actually wasn't the case in this particular story. It seems the scammer actually lost interest in trying to scam money from the baiter but continued mailing him about his new-found religion. Anyway, I'd agree it would still be difficult to determine as fact rather than heresay.
GnarlySpoof
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

YeaWhatever wrote:
That's a hard one? Then you truely are clueless.

Look if it's going to get the criminal off the streets and temporarily out of scamming then sure it's a worthwhile cause. Whether it's going to have any long term positive effect is a far more complex matter.
YeaWhatever
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You said before, "Causing suffering is causing suffering (period). " Wouldn't prison cause suffering?

Golden Pith Mortar x17
Tuco
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Whether it's going to have any long term positive effect is a far more complex matter.

Which can never be resolved by wringing your hands while the criminals are busy.

"Thanks for giving me a nauthy number that preys unit like a hungry lion." - Alise Kar1m
"I have called you more than 20 times but non of the calls went through." - Williams C0ker
"I've said in my previous mail that I do not understand English." - Cabinet Bad0u
"PLEASE MY CHAIRMAN, I AM NOT GREEDY, I LIKE TO WORK WITH YOU, I HAVE LOST MANY OF MY JOBS , PLS PLS PLS, I WILL WORK HARD WITH U." - Dr. Lui$ James
"There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend."
Closed lad accounts x8 (Thanks Corona)
GnarlySpoof
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

YeaWhatever wrote:
You said before, "Causing suffering is causing suffering (period). " Wouldn't prison cause suffering?

Yes it most probably would cause suffering. However, in the mind of the criminal there is a definite causal reason for him being in prison. He knows he's there for committing a crime, for being a menace to society. This at least has the POTENTIAL for causing long-term positive change.

In the case of safaris for example the criminal is just getting a run-around - he probably just thinks he's simply really unlucky which just fuels his "victim" psychology. He can't identify an "internal cause" for his distress leaving him "powerless" to change. If he's made aware that HE is the cause of his own suffering then HE is empowered to change it. I'm not saying safaris can't produce a positive change - I think making someone run around enough could lead them to realize that scamming is simply not worth the effort. However realize that this psychological change does not cause the realization that the SELF is responsible for one's misery - hence it might be likely that he would just fall back onto some other form of crime. First prize is to make someone aware that they are responsible for their own misery.
YeaWhatever
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So, by your standard, it's ok to make the lads "suffer" just so long as you let them know why, right?

Golden Pith Mortar x17
GnarlySpoof
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

YeaWhatever wrote:
So, by your standard, it's ok to make the lads "suffer" just so long as you let them know why, right?

I realize that suffering can be a useful tool for positive change - the old saying "one has to be cruel to be kind". What I'm against is unnecessary suffering - particularly that which results in frustration and anger which really just perpetuates the problem.

I don't think revealing a bait to a scammer is the right tactic either. Letting them know that you've baited them is equal cause for shifting of responsibility from themselves to an external cause. People do it all the time. We love to shift blame onto other parties whether it's our boss, client or partner. (Eckhart Tollie wrote some good stuff about this.)

Exactly how to do this....well I'm not sure, but at least you're getting me thinking about this (and hopefully others too).
Tuco
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^^ Very well then. Get to work, do it your way, and show us some results.

"Thanks for giving me a nauthy number that preys unit like a hungry lion." - Alise Kar1m
"I have called you more than 20 times but non of the calls went through." - Williams C0ker
"I've said in my previous mail that I do not understand English." - Cabinet Bad0u
"PLEASE MY CHAIRMAN, I AM NOT GREEDY, I LIKE TO WORK WITH YOU, I HAVE LOST MANY OF MY JOBS , PLS PLS PLS, I WILL WORK HARD WITH U." - Dr. Lui$ James
"There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend."
Closed lad accounts x8 (Thanks Corona)
YeaWhatever
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

"but at least you're getting me thinking about this" Well, this is good that you are finally starting to think about this. Most of what you have said so far is massively thoughtless. The notion that prison is bad, I find especially naïve.

Also, we really do not need anyone as naïve as you preaching to us that we need to think about what we are doing here. Do you really believe that we have not thought about all of this? And do you really think that the minor inconveniences that we inflict on these scum is anything compared to the lives these guys destroy?

I don’t know if they allow human contact outside of your commune, but if they do, I suggest that you try to locate some of the victims of these scammers. Talk to them and then get back to us with more of your swell advise.

Golden Pith Mortar x17
Ninastian
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This may or may not be relevant but Eckhart Tollie is an anagram of "to kill cheater".

Is he trying to tell us something?

Oh [the captive] ate his own willy!!! HAHAHAHA. I saw the look of excitement in his eyes like no other meat taste better!! yummm yummm! HAHAHAAHAHA. He cut his big right toe, his penis and penis shaft at different stages- funny funny funny!! He did this where some promiscous women do all sort of things. I know they were all thrilled. ahahahahahhhhhaaaaaa. His penis shaft was sewn to his nostril and more!! The doctor did a good job!! My men took picture of him parading him around the market square and public schools where everyone sang him wanker praises!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! I will continue to torture him unless I receive my $150,000 reward for wasting my time!! Period!
hunterkiller
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Spudz wrote:

I've nominated him for a Darwin award and to be honest I cannot stop laughing. If only all the other sewer life would be so helpful and do the same thing.

Most sensible thing i think i've seen on this thread. Twisted Evil

@Modern Primitive... I've only been around here for a short time, however, I see many different reasons why people are here. I for example bait 'cancerlads'. They are scum. I actually suffer from cancer and have lost friends to cancer. I don't want to get into any 'high and mighty' arguments about it. I think that if they can be disgusting enough to scam people by pretending to have cancer, then I can be disgusting enough to wind them up and make them suffer for it.

I do see the point of some of these 'Ethics' debates, but to be honest, if you can't stomach it, stay away from it.

Evil or Very Mad

Closed lad accounts
GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A person's chances of persuading a scammer stop stop scamming ? = 0

Africa is different to the West. I warned a young Lad from Malawi who I knew was receiving the attention of a scammer from the CC list on the mail. I got a nice reply back and he said he was going to warn his friends about these scams as I suggested, and asked how much I was paid as he wanted the same. Shocked

I let him down gently and pointed out that it was an unpaid job and hoped that wouldn't prevent him doing the right thing. This year I received a mail from him and one from his university, asking me to sponsor him as his funds to finance his education had run out.

Now, I didn't go to university because my parents didn't have the money, and it never occurred to me to ask anyone else. The world isn't like that, and I think that the greatest danger in Africa is the simplistic belief that anything other than hard work gets you money, or that they are owed a free ride by the rest of the globe. I don't tap my friends for money and expect similar respect back.

The world isn't fair, we know that, and many people who don't deserve it bathe themselves in money, but it's not an excuse for thieving, and the scammers we handle are not dying of starvation - all they lack is the latest mobile phone, a BMW (some have one already) and the latest hi fi. The top echelon are wealthy.

What next ? - be nice to the Mafia. Shocked Pickpockets are people too. Don't blame fraudsters, they help the economy.

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
drew.p.coque
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i cant believe i wasted 5 minutes on this thread !

*THANKS FOR PLAYING WITH MY TIME, PLEASE KINDLY FORGET ABOUT THIS TRANSACTION
*you have to tell any one you are here . everything has to be confidential -kevina
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

modernPrimitive wrote:

While many of the baiting stories are pretty humorous, there's an underlying sadness that I feel for SOME of the lads in SOME of the stories. .

I'm not sure if you've read any of the other multitude of ethics threads here, there are a lot of them. What you have posted above summarizes just about every single one of them.

"If you're uncomfortable with something, don't do it."

Eater itself, as a site, has guidelines (and by the way, discussion of cash baiting is forbidden) to follow but it is up to each baiter to decide how to bait and post here within those guidelines.

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic