SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Computer Help Forum?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Peanut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So my home computer has become crippled and ravaged by forces I do not fully understand. Entrenched in computer middle age it's at that stage where it wakes up in the morning and stares into the mirror, seeing a new wrinkle or another gray hair and contemplates his past with more and more attention than his future, realizing he is growing old. When his computer wife asks "do you still love me?" at night he breathes quietly, pretending to be asleep.

....what I'm getting at is that my computer seems to have lots of problems, and I need a decent tech forum to help me figure out why it takes 10 seconds to load a page, things move waaaaaaay slowly (even outside being online), why I got 8 (count em 8!) pop up "error" messages when starting the computer. Things like:

Quote:
zxjdderiut.xll cannot be found - please smash a hammer through your skull and reboot immediately.

The thing that makes me MOST suspicious is that my computer refuses to run a defragmenter. It also refuses to download ANY software updates to any virus program I own. Adaware, CCleaner, AVG....and maybe one or two others all refuse to download new versions of themselves. Is something evil afoot? It tells me there there is no connection, or the server has been reset. Or something. Yet I can access the internet just as (sort of) normal. So there clearly IS a connection to the internet.

The problem is there are no less than 6 billion "computer expert geek help tech expert" forums out there (rough estimate). Does anyone have a recommendation????

I'm better than average with computers, but would still appreciate a forum erring more on the side of "now click start and go to _____________" as opposed to telling me to "reoptimize my core drive followed by regalvanizing my primary boot disk dll files".

Confused

A good computer tech help forum would be very very appreciated, I'm all ears.

Sand TimerSafariSafari(Lagos-Benin City-Lagos-Kano-Maiduguri-Lagos-Calabar): ~2,696 miles,stranded for 11 days: "I am very grateful that you have turned me into a tourist,international espionage and adventurer." ~Desmond and Churchill

Please i am advicing you to comply with the bank so that they will tranfered this fun into your account. ~Rosemary

U.S. Passport Application - 50 Pages of Fun

The Peanut Gallery - Artwork Baits "DO YOU KNOW THAT SECURITY PHOTOS IS AGAINST HUMANITY , CAN YOU TELL A RESPONSIBLE MAN TO BE CARRYING IN FISH ON THE HEAD TO TAKE A PHOTO. CAN YOU DO THAT?" - Mr. Ferguson
Canadian419
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Alright dude, you have some heavy fragging happening in there. I'll try and help you out. Your PC "refuses" to DL any updates... Try for a free online scanner, I can recommend 2. If you have Vista, turn off UAC. <-- I can help you with that. Defragging your PC at this moment probably isn't a good idea, considering it looks like your Virus program is out of date and your PC is having DLL errors. Go to one of these sites (or both if one doesn't work) and then report back your findings.

Kaspersky Labs:
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

Trend Micro - Housecall :
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

You should go ahead and remove any virus scanning software on your PC, Considering it's not doing anything, And run those. Also after they are complete go here

Spybot S&D :
http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

Download Spybot S&D to remove some of the Spyware and Malware on your PC.

When your all done with that. Go to here

AVG - Free :
http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afe

Update all your databases for virus and spyware, after all that. (assuming it works) We'll try on the DLL error's.

------ I posted this on another part of the forum, thought it would be
helpful to you also.
-------

I've got some great tips, I'll let you know how you can do some simple things to speed up your computer, you will be amazed. here they are:

1) RUN > type - prefetch > delete everything in that folder.
2) RUN > type - msconfig > remove things from your startup ONLY THINGS YOU KNOW YOU CAN ie. MSN MSGR, YIM, SKYPE...NOTHING SYSTEM RELATED (exit without restart)
3) RUN > type - regedit - now go > HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Control Panel > Desktop > look for "MenuShowDelay" Change the value to "0"

This step is strictly for internet speed improved performance.
4) RUN > system.ini > paste EXACTLY THIS below the things that are in the file. (also remove the quotes)

"page buffer=100000kbps load=100000kbps Download=100000kbps save=100000kbps back=100000kb"

Restart your PC after all of this, and you'll notice a difference.
Remember, to Defragment your PC often, and do a disk clean before you do. If anyone wants, I have registry mechanic if they have a VERY slow computer and these steps did not help.

EDIT to add some things: There are quite a few of us on here that are fairly educated about these types of topics, I'm sure slaphappy and dutch will be around to assist too. Cheers guys!

Closed lad accounts 10+ Mortar x6
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Peanut wrote:

The thing that makes me MOST suspicious is that my computer refuses to run a defragmenter.

How full is your hard disk? Defrag creates loads of temporary files while running, and if there's no room for them, it won't work. It needs about 15% free, I think.
To find out - Start/My Computer. Right click on the C drive icon, then select "Properties", and you'll see a pie chart.
An almost full HD can cause all sorts of problems, including slow running.
Make a note of the error message, and post it here, or Google for it.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
Canadian419
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Good call! A free great program for finding all those large files is "VisDir" I use it all the time.

VisDir -

http://www.sb-software.com/visdir/

SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Peanut - You got some nasty trojan horses or viruses, malware on there, for sure. Basically, follow the above advice, and also check out this recent tread, and run some of the other malware removal programs listed there.
http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=159217

edit: And get some Just For Men or Grecian Formula for those gray hairs. Wink

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
Canadian419
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Once your done with all of the steps listed above PM me, I will send you systweak's Advanced system optimizer. It will fix your registry problems and your .dll problems (<---hopefully)

Peanut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the help and attention, folks. I should have known one of the better help forums would be right here...

My hard drive is not that full, and I appear to have plenty of room:

The link worked from the office (not this computer) but on THIS computer it refuses to load Kaspersky Labs, Trend Micro, AVG, Spyware S&D websites:

Mad

I'm a little hesitant to remove any and all virus software. Should I go ahead and Add/Remove Programs all of them? I have the McAfee that came with the computer years ago -- but the free version of it ran out a long long time ago. I'm really not sure if it's doing anything right now or not...?

I also HAVE BitDefender (Free Edition), AVG Anti-Spyware, Ad-Watch, and Ad-Aware....but none of them are able to connect to the mysterious "server".

As mentioned before, those download websites won't load in either Firefox OR IE.

Quote:
1) RUN > type - prefetch > delete everything in that folder.

73 items deleted

Quote:
2) RUN > type - msconfig > remove things from your startup ONLY THINGS YOU KNOW YOU CAN ie. MSN MSGR, YIM, SKYPE...NOTHING SYSTEM RELATED (exit without restart)

Not too many things checked - I've removed Yahoo, AIM, and MSN Messenger automatic start-ups
Quote:

3) RUN > type - regedit - now go > HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Control Panel > Desktop > look for "MenuShowDelay" Change the value to "0"

Changed to "0" from "400"

Quote:
4) RUN > system.ini > paste EXACTLY THIS below the things that are in the file. (also remove the quotes)

"page buffer=100000kbps load=100000kbps Download=100000kbps save=100000kbps back=100000kb"

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Sand TimerSafariSafari(Lagos-Benin City-Lagos-Kano-Maiduguri-Lagos-Calabar): ~2,696 miles,stranded for 11 days: "I am very grateful that you have turned me into a tourist,international espionage and adventurer." ~Desmond and Churchill

Please i am advicing you to comply with the bank so that they will tranfered this fun into your account. ~Rosemary

The Peanut Gallery - Artwork Baits "DO YOU KNOW THAT SECURITY PHOTOS IS AGAINST HUMANITY , CAN YOU TELL A RESPONSIBLE MAN TO BE CARRYING IN FISH ON THE HEAD TO TAKE A PHOTO. CAN YOU DO THAT?" - Mr. Ferguson
JumpinJayJay
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

download the updates for the AV at the office, if you can, and copy them on witha USB.

uninstall the expired AV, it's probably not doing anything. seriously consider downloading a fresh free AV program (the installer) at the office, all the most recent updates for it etc etc. Come home and pull the internet plug out of the wall, reboot in safe mode, install the new AV and run it.

hope that helps!

if all else fails, there's always fork out the $50 or so for a new hard drive and re-install your operating system onto it.

ETA I believe that running more than one anti-virus software on the computer can also cause odd things to happen.

Click here to support 419Eater.com pony pony
Mortar x5 Nurse Nastys Audi TT
Canadian419
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Do you have some sort of way I can send you some files? I have some software I could give you, and I can just download the latest databases from avg and whatnot, right now if you wish. PM me if you want.

Peanut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

PM sent.

Also, here is a picture (I like pictures, can you tell?) of the various errors I get every time I start up the machine:

Canadian419
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think the files are too large for email. plus Gmail wont allow you to send .exe or anything like that. if you have MSN Messenger that would be great. i added that email addy to my MSN. I have yahoo too, but i don't really like it, plus my account have massive amounts of la'd i don't particularly want to talk to when I'm trying to trouble shoot...

iWalrus
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Check C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\ and look for your HOSTS file. Open it in notepad and post what you see.

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Canadian - I do have MSN. I'm getting ready to run out though, so let me get back to you and we'll set up a time.

@ iWalrus:

Quote:
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 activate.adobe.com

Canadian419
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

sounds good, shoot me a PM, i'll be on and off on here all night tonight.

Dutch
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Malwarebytes is still one of my favorites. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php . It's free and it's able to detect more trouble than my virus scanner could ever imagine. You might give that a try. Highly recommended.

SpainNigeriaNetherlandsCanadaSouth AfricaUnited KingdomAustraliaIvory CoastGhanaTogoUkraineIrelandHong KongFranceSenegalGermanyBeninTurks and CaicosIndonesiaPortugalBurkina FasoMalaysiacameroonJapanGambiaSierra LeoneKenya deadified fake websites) x 374
Mortar x11 Closed lad accountsx a couple Cellphone pony Easter Egg Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Golden Goat
Yes we can! (with a bit of help)
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Having gone through this a few times on the shelter computers, I am getting to be more experienced than I like at cleaning up such messes. Some viruses will block access to all major antivirus sites and prevent antivirus software from being started, so you can't even download from that computer and have to do it from another computer and transfer with a jump drive or something. You may also have to rename your antivirus software before you can run it.

BTW I think you probably have gotten the answers you need to start here, but my favorite tech forum for these kinds of issues is bleepingcomputer.com

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Peanut wrote:

My hard drive is not that full, and I appear to have plenty of room:

That's fine. I agree that malware looks the likely cause now.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
Canadian419
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Dutch, His computer cannot connect to the internet sites that have to do with anti virus. ant they wont connect to the server's to update. I'll send you my Kaspersky 09 and the updates. it'll be active for about 30days i think. (trial) because i only have the one key right. but we'll see what i can do to fix your compy up.

manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have one final option, but it's not a bad one - "flatten and rebuild"

Get a (clean) USB stick, and backup your critical files
Boot from your Windows DVD, delete all the partitions
Create a fresh partition and install Windows (nothing else). If you've got XPSP1 or earlier you must IMMEDIATELY do a full windowsupdate run, otherwise RIGHT NOW will do.
Now install an nice clean copy of AVG and let it update
Install Firefox (with the extremely useful NoScript add-on, and whilst you're there get AdBlock Plus too)
Disable autorun for USB sticks (control panel somewhere - can't remember)
Scan it heavily with AVG and any other scanner tools you have
Restore whichever of your critical files aren't infected
Install Open Office (it's really good - I'm ex-MS and now as opposed to walk across the room to get my MSOffice disks I'm happy to use OO for everything)
And never install anything else ever again (well, keep away from all those dodgy sites and torrents and warez)

It's a big job - measured in half-days, but it is a permanent solution. Problem with systems that have been compromised is that you lose trust in them - one virus will invite in all its friends and enemies to fight out their private battles on your system. It's like a relationship - once the trust is gone it's one hell of a job to get back, you never know if the virus scanner has found *everything* and indeed a load of your configuration will be lost or weird afterwards. The plus side is you'll be shocked just how good your computer is for getting rid of all the crap its built up Smile
Old No. 7
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Peanut,

Try these guys
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/index.php

or these
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/

You'll need to register, then there's usually a "basic cleaning and prep" sticky , and you'll probably need HiJackThis from here.
http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

Here's a basic cleaning sticky. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

If this doesn't fix it, then you post, describe what the problem is and what you've done and await useful answers - watch out for helpful noobs (a bit like here Laughing ) - I usually wait for a mod or someone with some serious credentials (MVP, etc)

If your infection is preventing access to online disinfection, you may need to boot in "Safe mode" but with networking enabled.

You may also want to clean out your "hosts" file for the browser, as any malware may be using this to stop you accessing antimalware sites.

Don't flatten and rebuild yet - there's a lot that can be done before that's necessary.

Hope this helps

200+ sites killed, from these countries => United Kingdom Netherlands Russia Nigeria Switzerland Ukraine South Africa Germany United States Canada Senegal Benin Spain Ghana Ivory Coast Cambodia Flag United Nations

pony pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar

Like my flags? Want some of your own? Let justjay teach you how to kill sites here (clicky).

Hobbes may have retired, but get his brilliant WriteJunk here (clicky) and never touch a .dll again

Proud to be a mouth-breather who posted a load of shit, disappeared into the night but mysteriously reappeared after a long absence
Dutch
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Canadian419 wrote:
@Dutch, His computer cannot connect to the internet sites that have to do with anti virus. ant they wont connect to the server's to update. I'll send you my Kaspersky 09 and the updates. it'll be active for about 30days i think. (trial) because i only have the one key right. but we'll see what i can do to fix your compy up.

Hijackthis is the next that comes to mind. http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html

I did some successful manual cleanups with that tool. We could email Peanut the 793KB proggy, I'd be more than happy to have a look at the log it produces ... No flatten & rebuild like o#7 says. Repair is always possible.

SpainNigeriaNetherlandsCanadaSouth AfricaUnited KingdomAustraliaIvory CoastGhanaTogoUkraineIrelandHong KongFranceSenegalGermanyBeninTurks and CaicosIndonesiaPortugalBurkina FasoMalaysiacameroonJapanGambiaSierra LeoneKenya deadified fake websites) x 374
Mortar x11 Closed lad accountsx a couple Cellphone pony Easter Egg Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Golden Goat
Yes we can! (with a bit of help)
Canadian419
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah sounds good, give it a try. He hasn't gotten back to me to even try anything, I suppose he's busy.

SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It doesn't sound good at this point. So many problems. It might take you longer to try and remove it all, than it would just to re-install from scratch, after saving all your stuff. And you could have an undetectable and hard to remove rootkit on there. Also, sometimes removal breaks other things, and the system isn't reliable.
You might want to think about getting an imaging program, to save time, if it ever happens again.

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
Inspector Gadget
Angel of unrealistic meetings

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You could rename the .exe. file to something like .xyz and then send it, Peanut can rename it on arrival and then run it.

ccleaner might help clean out any registry bugs, but as per what other people have said, it really looks like something nasty is running around the inside of his PC and causing the grief.

This thread does offer some plain(ish) English language instructions on the resolution of the problem)

one more idea to try

Pith Helmet Halil, Cotonou to Accra
Pith Helmet + Sand Timer Precious 10/08/11
Cellphone x8 Nigeria Spain Mortar x34 Closed lad accounts x 73 Goat
grown up man like him, still doing all this shit games - Stanley, (he doesn't like Parcel Direct)
You again do the strange reflections stuffed with drugs? - Natalia
Sand Timer x3 Hector 24/1/13 Sand Timer Moses 15th Oct 2011
Pretty Rose Sand Timer x 2Mick Ole 11th Sept 2014-16 Sand Timer Asare Akuffo start 4th Aug 2014
Peanut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks all for the help! I am around, but the weekends keep me out of my apartment a lot. I should be able to look more into this today. I'll keep you posted.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic