SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

A few Questions on legalitys

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
drbo
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So, I have been baiting for a few years before I stumbled across this site and have been wondering...
Lets say I have a few lads on the go and I am trying to get trophies from them... I have gotten a few interesting pics but now I find myself attracted to the check cashing idea.
I have a K7 number, A post office box and a prepaid cell that cannot be linked back to me.
I was curious if I get some mugu to send me checks from his "clients" will I be breaking a law? Will they be coming from actual people (therefore making me complicit) or just fraudulent checks he made up himself to defraud me?
I have seen several checks posted here and have always wondered about such things.
BTW: I do plan on posting several very funny baits once they are completed with Photos, text and voice recordings.
And WTF is with all the people using the name `martins` in Nigeria

Drbo
domesticgoddess
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think just as long as you don't try to cash it or something Laughing you should be fine. But then again.. don't take my word for it because I'm new to this Smile
drbo
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ya... No problem there. I have no intention of cashing said checks...
Cachuma
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

drbo: What you are describing is check baiting. We do that all the time, and consider our fake checks to be great trophies. It hurts the lads greatly to send them to you - costs them money, time, effort, etc. As long as you don't DO anything with the check, you are fine legally. (Caveat: I'm no attorney, this is not legal advice or anything like that.) There are some mildly fuzzy areas. Here is some advice from our very own Eater University, written by Mike Hawk, about the legalities behind check baiting:

Quote:
SPECIAL NOTE REGARDING THE CHECKS: BE VERY CAREFUL! Depending on where you live, what you do with that piece of paper may be very important. Whatever you do, don't deposit it in any bank, even "just to see what happens." Don't even deposit it and simultaneously tell your bank you suspect it's fraudulent. Since you know without a doubt it's fraudulent, you'd be pushing your luck to try to bring your bank in contact with the check in any way. If you're a good friend with a banker, you might show it to him/her, but only as an example of what a check scammer produces. Second, I'm not a lawyer, but I understand that in some places "holding" a check with intent to defraud a bank is itself a crime. So, don't even leave your checks sitting around your house, unless you alter them so that any appearance of fraud on your part is removed. By this I mean:

ALWAYS WRITE "SCAM" OR "FAKE" ON YOUR CHECKS AS SOON AS YOU GET THEM. USE A BIG THICK MARKER PEN. IMAGINE WHAT THE STUPIDEST COP IN THE WORLD WILL THINK IF HE LOOKS AT THE CHECK--IT'S GOT TO SAY THAT YOU DO NOT INTEND TO CASH IT.

Personally, I scan my checks into my computer as soon as I get them, then I deface them. It's possible that doing that is a little risky, even. But if cornered, I'll point out that the image could hardly be used for any real purpose. On the other hand, somebody more clever than I might be able to take a check image and print it out on blank security check stock paper and make an apparently real check. And so it goes. I guess I am taking a small risk this way.

Another approach would be to deface, then to scan the defaced check, then shred the original check.

Actually, many eater maildrops will deface any checks they get before sending them to you.

However, scammer checks are fun trophies to have around, even defaced ones.

In the end, this issue is yours to deal with, and it's between you and your LEO how you can play it.

Click here for a tutorial on check baiting.

Re the name "martins" - lads are notoriously uninformed about Western names, and we enjoy laughing at their absurd attempts to use them. They often use two first names - William Peter, John Frank, etc. They also switch last names and first names a lot - Johnson Frank, or Smith Peter, and sometimes if you play your cards right you can get them to switch back and forth! You will also see them put S's in the weirdest places - Peters Jackson, Martins Smith, Williams Johnson. It's hilarious!

Closed lad accounts x15 Malaysia X1 United Kingdom X1

Hello Kitty! <---TS certified.
drbo
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you Cachuma for your response,
I was already pretty sure about things and your link kinda verified it to me. (and was very informative).

If only it was %100 risky free....

I shall continue anyway! I'm a rebel!
Cachuma
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

By the way, there's a contest going on right now here in Eater for who can get the most/highest dollar amount in fake checks. Click HERE to read about it. Here's the current standings:

Total number of cheques collected = 11
Total value of cheques collected = £134,463.87
Highest single value Meridanalicante £106,119.60
Date : 8th MCH 2009

Since you have your own PO box, you have an advantage. Start saving them up!

Closed lad accounts x15 Malaysia X1 United Kingdom X1

Hello Kitty! <---TS certified.
EaterFan
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We got one fraud check (before I knew about this place, even) and my hubby took it to the bank it was drawn on (it was paid to his business). He gave it to a bank assistant-manager, saying, "this is a bogus check, but it's drawn on your bank and may be your real customer on the account number, you should look into this". Made it really clear that it was definitely bogus, and that we were NOT trying to cash it. They kept it and gave us a copy and nothing further came of it. I think as long as you can prove you're not trying to cash it, you are fine. Defacing it is a great idea.

Have fun with it - checks are lovely trophies! Twisted Evil
drbo
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I should add.. that I live in Canada and if anyone needs to receive anything here in the great white north I am willing to do so and forward it to them (at their expense of course) or receive it and scan/copy... whatever it to them...

I'm a team player that way.

PM me for addy if required.

Drbo.
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@drbo, it may be worth asking the Post Office what their privacy policy is. I know here in the UK, if anyone asks for the name and address of a box holder, the Post Office will tell them.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Not been mentioned so far but the cheques are likely to come from a "work from home" printer/mule anyway.
GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just make sure to tell the scammers that the FBI don't have jurisdiction in Canada and that only Hawaii 50 can touch you Very Happy - Lad geography isn't usually up to much and they love to (pretend to) resort to the forces of law and order when their scams don't work.

I'm currently on the run from the CIA, the FBI, Interpol and Scotland Yard who apparently work closely with scammers and have nothing better to do than chase up people who don't pay up against their counterfeit cheques. Laughing

Some of the travellers' cheques they produce are quite nice, but would get you in deep trouble if you ever tried to use them.

I recently saw one scam mail involving Costa Coffee which struck me as amusing. I couldn't get my mind round the idea of someone placing an order for several thousand dollars worth of coffee and cakes and then paying by cheque. Shocked

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
Newdonym
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That was a scam? Damn it, now I'm going to have to return this 1/2 tonne of biscotti.

It was either ^that^ or, surely all you'd have to do is buy a large americano. That comes to several thousand dollars right?
drbo
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

thud419 wrote:
@drbo, it may be worth asking the Post Office what their privacy policy is. I know here in the UK, if anyone asks for the name and address of a box holder, the Post Office will tell them.

Actually it isn't a Canada post Box. It is through a private company. An added bonus to this is that it appears as a regular office address and not a PO box.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic