SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Legality?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
baiterg123
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, I'm new here Smile
I've just been introduced to the site, and I love it!
I'm really excited to get stuck in, but I am unsure of the legality of promising the scammer money, as many of the baiters do, with no intention of giving them a penny. Is it allowed?
Thanks in advance Very Happy
ps im 15 Smile
Craig007
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi and welcome. Of course that is allowed, that's what they do to us after all.
What isn't allowed is you reversing the scam, i.e getting money out of them. That isn't discussed here, and is illegal.

Here comes the grumpy bastard bit: do your parents know? You are dealing with criminals here. As long as you follow safe baiting procedures (no R/L details, IP free e-mail e.t.c) then you should be fine, but just in case Wink

pony pony pony Easter Egg Goat Vcamera

Mortar x7 Closed lad accounts Thailand Canada

Safari Safari Wulugu or Bust Safari- Lagos, Nigeria to Paga, Ghana and Tokwari, Ghana X2-3800mi. "I'm leaving this bullshit area"

Safari - Accra to Cotonou - 430 miles

100% RISK FREE TRANSACTION

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM

Last edited by Craig007 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
baiterg123
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thats what I was thinking, but what they're doing is illegal, so is it not illegal for us?
Thanks for the welcome Smile
Craig007
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Promising us money is not illegal. Getting us to pay for fees is not illegal. The illegal part comes when 'we' (victims) pay the fee, then our 'fund' isn't released. That's fraud.

Even getting scammers to pay for travel, as many of us do, in safari baits, isn't illegal. Just extracting raw cash from them is.

Along with sending them viruses, e.t.c

Safari Safari Wulugu or Bust Safari- Lagos, Nigeria to Paga, Ghana and Tokwari, Ghana X2-3800mi. "I'm leaving this bullshit area"

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
sunshine
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I could promise to give you Buckingham Palace... I'd be lying but it's not illegal.

If I say "I will give you Buckingham Palace for a pound" and then I take that pound off you and don't give you Buckingham Palace, then I have commited a crime (obtaining property by deception).

So as long as you don't ask for money off them (called "cash baiting" around here and frowned on for obvious reasons) as far as I can tell you're not breaking any laws.

And welcome to Eater! If you decide baiting is for you and you fancy a go you might like to apply for a mentor and read the stickies.

I have explain this whole process to you so many times over and over again. - Spencer
Safari Praveen - Hanuman Junction - Hyderabad x2
Safari Bola - Accra - Cotonou Safari Alex - Accra - Abidjan Safari Austin - Accra - Abidjan
Safari George - Accra - Cotonou - Lome - Niamtougou Safari Toks London - Milford Haven
pony pony pony Mortar Closed lad accounts x170 Czech Republic Easter Egg 2011 Sand Timer Engineer Cooke vs. Temeraire x8
baiterg123
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ok, thanks very much for clearing that up.
So, for example If I was to promise them money for doing an action, they do the action and I dont pay them, thats ok?
I'm just telling my mum now Smile
And I use googlemail, what IP free?
Thanks very much Smile
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh good, we haven't had one of these threads in a while. Dr -- may I suggest doing a search for "legal" or "legality" and then spend a while reading? While your question is understandable, our mission is not to provide legal advice to members (it wouldn't do them or us any good).

All sorts of things are illegal. Speeding is illegal. Many people do it. Some people drink before they are of age. Again, illegal. It's up to you to consider whether you are comfortable in baiting. If you are not comfortable, please do not do it.

Welcome to Eater.

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ baiterg123, you have a PM.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery

Last edited by Scam Patroller on Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
luckey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I do remember one thread where we discussed this. I thought it might be illegal to enter into "contracts" with scammers to promise them money for holding up signs, or whatever. This was former mod Eight's response:

Quote:
You can't commit a crime merely by entering into an agreement or making a fake document, you need to have some kind of mental element, intention or motive to go with it. It's called mens rea. An act (the actus reus) is only illegal when done with the necessary mens rea for the offence, usually dishonesty for fakes, forgeries and assorted lies. In my jursidiction, I very much doubt that the baiters have what is required to meet the legal definition of dishonesty.

Judging from some of those fancy words, that's a legal opinion. Wink.

The thread is here if you're interested.

If you're worried about getting sued by a scammer (insanely unlikely), it's very easy to construct your contracts so the scammer will default on some technicality. Twisted Evil

Last edited by luckey on Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you promise a lad payment for goods or a service and he performs that service or sends the goods, then it is probably breach of contract (civil) and obtaining goods by deception (criminal).

But who is going to report you? The lad might complain a lot, but no way is he going to the police.

If you want to be absolutely clean, these are the ways it has been done:
  • The goods/services are below standard (almost all the time, they will be.)
  • The goods/services are demonstrations to ensure he is worthy of donating money to. You wiggle the $$$, but don't promise anything. See Shiver's art baits on the letters page of the main site.
  • Oops! we've found out you're a scammer. The deal is off. Point out where in the contract it says if he misrepresents himself the contract is void. Point to the form he filled in saying he'd never committed a crime.
  • If the lad is representing himself as being a real charity, then your contract is not to pay the lad, it is to pay the charity. The lad is probably not authorised to enter into such a contract, and if he is, then he's not going to complain you didn't give the money to charity, and he's the only one with standing to complain.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
baiterg123
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Would it be ok if you could please remove my old username from your posts?
As it has been brought to my attention that I can be easily identified by my old one. Thank you very much! Smile
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scam Patroller wrote:
@ baiterg123, you have a PM.

I already sent him that PM. Wink

I'm literally biting my cheek to keep from spewing forth on the legality issue (you cannot know how hard it is for me to do so).

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
baiterg123
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Please could you remove my old name from that last post? Cheers Smile
Also I would really appreciate it if you did, as I am still scared to do it Razz
Thanks very much
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ baiterg123, references to your old username now removed.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
baiterg123
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks very much Smile *tips hat*
HitchHiker
Baiting Guru

I look at it this way.

He is using a fake name and email address.
You are using a fake name and email address.
If you both enter a contract for something that doesn't exist and one of you breaks that contract, who is going to take who to court?

Simples?

you bloody nigeria scammer you scamm me of 6,800pounds : Billy a cheque scammer.
Closed lad accounts x? Easter EggMortar x2
Ninja Bloody hell I've been ninja'd
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to help 419Eater.com fight the good fight]</a>
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

Welcome to Eater baiterg.

But, 15, middle of the day during the week, shouldn't you be in class Wink

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed

Last edited by OxygenDeprived on Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craig007
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OD, methinks baiterg is in the UK. It's 1721 here Wink

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
baiterg123
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, Im from the UK, but I'm currently in my last week of a holiday in the Philippines Smile
Craig007
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well in that case OD's comment still stands. You should be at school, boi!

CHERRIE MENTOR PROGRAM
baiterg123
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What? 7000 miles away? Razz
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic