SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Formal apology

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jayhawk
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually, some of the best television shows in U.S. history have been modeled after British Sitcoms. "Sanford and Son" was based on the British sitcom "Steptoe and Son." "All in the Family" was based on "Til Death do us Part."

We normally screw it up, but every once in awhile we improve on the original.

Yes pets are allowed as far as you will occupy the apartment alone, you can release the Kraken.

i will kill you even if it take me to go to jail i will do that because i hate you with all my life....
assisin killer to Feathers McGraw
PLEASE I BEG YOU TO LET ME KNOW THAT PIGGIES OF YOURS PLEASE... assisin killer to Feathers again
Vcamera x5 Safari Team Humphere
Long Live Silver Peak Orphanage! - Loan Lad Langwenya Andile
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

iMike wrote:
Police Squad

Laughing Short lived, but damn funny.

Edit: Looks like You Tube has most of the episodes posted. (In Color!)

Last edited by Pastor Frank on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ I'm also an SF fan. One film I never saw as a kid, but always wanted to, was Forbidden Planet. I did rent a VHS tape of it, but couldn't watch it. I'd seen Police Squad & Airplane first - as soon as I realised Leslie Nielsen was the lead I couldn't stop giggling.

edit:
Quote:
Edit: Looks like You Tube has most of the episodes posted. (In Color!)

Got 'em on DVD. I was looking for Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In too, but I couldn't find a region 2 version Sad

Closed lad accounts x2

"you have luke worm in your brain" - Ekaetta Bello
"invite me to your country and let me clearify your legitimacy asshole" - Mose5 Uzem3
"the transfer was not authorized due to my persistent double mind" - Clement Wank
"this is not the time to play planks" - Mack Anthony

WIFI PDA - post while you dump
SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[FREE LAPHROAIG]</a>
Trixi
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Occasionally the re-make can see the bigger potential and/or take the show in a new and interesting direction (case in point, not comedy but the US version of Queer as Folk was just as brilliant as the original and took the whole idea far further. Ditto for The Office, or at least so I've heard cos I've not watched the US version.)

But often they just seek to recreate and milk for $$$/£££.

Which is where it all falls over and resembles a steaming pile of shit.

Apparently the original pilot for Life on Mars US was so horrendous that they re-cast most of the leads and moved it across the country! Not sure what the actual broadcast thing is going to be like, but I'm doubt it will achieve the genius that the combination of John Simm/Philip Glenister did in the UK version.

Thats the problem actually, sometimes the brilliance of a show relys so much on the force of persona brought by the actors that even other talented actors can't re-create the magic. Good example - Kath&Kim. The original is so bitingly funny and well observed. The small clip I saw of the copy looked like actresses saying the lines but without the character force to back it up.

The concept works well for Reality TV or Gameshows where people like seeing "locals". Millionaire, Deal or No Deal, Strictly (that's "Dancing with the Stars" mostly to you elsewhere), Pop Idol (that'll be American/Australian/etc Idol to you) all started here and have done brilliantly when remade.

I think I object to it most when it's "art" as opposed to just "tv". "Art" should never be remade. When it's "tv" then I think it's ok.

"<i>I warned earlier to stop dealing with the the people scamming you but you would not. You shouls stop emailing this fellow who claims to be Godspower but he is not </i>" - Bob the British High Commissioner

"<i>The FBI man stil believes that no body was hacked</i>", "<i>Ididnt mean to orger you around, please do not be anoid we are not fighting</i>" - DHL Nigeria guyman

"<i>Sorry if I sounded hash</i>" - the undercover FBI guy in London's newest suburb Lagos.
pony
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I can't imagine "Keeping Up Appearances" or "Are You Being Served?" in American versions. It's just somehow -- wrong.

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^What about British versions of Gilligan's Island or Get Smart?

I do think that Hogan's Heros would translate pretty well, though the roles would have been reversed a lot. Richard Dawson would have been Hogan... Wink

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
Lady Warmonger
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

"Last of the summer wine" and "are you being served" were shown on PBS here in Indiana and I thought that they were hilarious, of course being a barbarian colonial, what would I know about Brit humor ? Laughing if they were Americanized, they would not be as funny. just my two pence.

Warmonger

Click here to support 419Eater.com
Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wright B Hindyou wrote:
Fawlty Towers is pure comic genius.

Hear hear! But remember about 10 years ago when that was remade in an American version called "Payne" (Basil Fawlty was renamed "Royal Payne.") Talk about dreadful abominations... That may have been the worst adaptation ever.

Then again, the show bombed so the viewers caught on quickly.

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

I apologize again that I will lick the dust from your sandals - Shorty

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
Ferdinand
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As far as cringeworthy farce goes, I'd love to see Basil Fawlty and Larry David in a deathmatch. Laughing

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

iMike wrote:
Wonder how the US would remake The League of Gentlemen?

You have no idea how many hours my friends and I have actually thought on this! We made the general guideline that there should be no, or a severe limit, on "superheros". So no Superman.

As I recall we had, for starters:

1) Indiana Jones
2) Dick Tracy
3) Bruce Wayne
4) Pecos Bill

Sand TimerSafariSafari(Lagos-Benin City-Lagos-Kano-Maiduguri-Lagos-Calabar): ~2,696 miles,stranded for 11 days: "I am very grateful that you have turned me into a tourist,international espionage and adventurer." ~Desmond and Churchill

Please i am advicing you to comply with the bank so that they will tranfered this fun into your account. ~Rosemary

U.S. Passport Application - 50 Pages of Fun

The Peanut Gallery - Artwork Baits "DO YOU KNOW THAT SECURITY PHOTOS IS AGAINST HUMANITY , CAN YOU TELL A RESPONSIBLE MAN TO BE CARRYING IN FISH ON THE HEAD TO TAKE A PHOTO. CAN YOU DO THAT?" - Mr. Ferguson
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Erm... That's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The League of Gentlemen is something completely different.

Someone mentioned Forbidden Planet. That was great SciFi, but as a remake of a British classic it was pretty mediocre. Likewise West-Side Story.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Peanut - here you go:

linky

Closed lad accounts x2

"you have luke worm in your brain" - Ekaetta Bello
"invite me to your country and let me clearify your legitimacy asshole" - Mose5 Uzem3
"the transfer was not authorized due to my persistent double mind" - Clement Wank
"this is not the time to play planks" - Mack Anthony

WIFI PDA - post while you dump
SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[FREE LAPHROAIG]</a>
drew.p.coque
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wright B Hindyou wrote:
Quote:
AbFab (in it's original state) is pure comic genius

Let's not go over the top.

Fawlty Towers is pure comic genius. Yes Minister is pretty close. AbFab is formulaic and stereotypical, funny in spots but in no way deserving of the title genius.

-2nd that ! yes minister is great!

*THANKS FOR PLAYING WITH MY TIME, PLEASE KINDLY FORGET ABOUT THIS TRANSACTION
*you have to tell any one you are here . everything has to be confidential -kevina
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What I thought was genius about AbFab was the role reversal, so the teenage daughter was the sensible conservative, worrying about her drugged up drunken mother misbehaving with her hooligan mates... Laughing

I guess that would translate to a US version, but I bet they toned it down a bit.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Peanut
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ iMike: Clearly I'm a comic book nerd Smile

Sand TimerSafariSafari(Lagos-Benin City-Lagos-Kano-Maiduguri-Lagos-Calabar): ~2,696 miles,stranded for 11 days: "I am very grateful that you have turned me into a tourist,international espionage and adventurer." ~Desmond and Churchill

Please i am advicing you to comply with the bank so that they will tranfered this fun into your account. ~Rosemary

U.S. Passport Application - 50 Pages of Fun

The Peanut Gallery - Artwork Baits "DO YOU KNOW THAT SECURITY PHOTOS IS AGAINST HUMANITY , CAN YOU TELL A RESPONSIBLE MAN TO BE CARRYING IN FISH ON THE HEAD TO TAKE A PHOTO. CAN YOU DO THAT?" - Mr. Ferguson
Lehigh Guy
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

AbFab's attraction for me has been the unrelenting unrepentant self absorption of the main characters. They simply had no redeeming traits.

For example, at Saffy's wedding her mum had a choir boy sing a lovely aria. What many might not have noticed is that it was the "Pie Jesu" from a Requem Mass. Even when she tries to do the right thing, she does the wrong thing. P and A have to be the sort of people who take a supply of cocaine with them to rehab--and share it with other patients. They need to be the sorts that will consider selling family members into slavery a viable means of funding a holiday.

American produceres are loth to risk offending us poor American TV zombies. I doubt our version of AbFab can make the grade--but with Saunders behind it, who knows? I'll keep my fingers crossed.

[edit]
Now, whatever happened to "The Young Ones?"

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>

"I swear with my living GOD I SERVE BY WHATEVER FIND HOLY ...THIS IS TRULY HOLY HAND JOB I WILL NOT DISAPPOINT YOU”
_______
Am surprise you are west-ting this much time and you know that your daughters life is astake ... I see it strange, something is fishing."
_______
"If You Are A Sinner That Means You Will Go To Hill. Repaint ..."
_______
"you son a beach , bastard , you will die by gun, ogun will kill you [a dozen death threats snipped] ANY PLANS YOU HAVE PLANNED EITHER TO RUB ME OR ANY OTHER THING , YOU WILL DIR BY OGUN BYE" -- One truly pissed off lad.
bill mcdill
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Supremescam wrote:
North America - take the hint, you suck at comedy.

George Carlin, John Belushi, Richard Prior, Lucille Ball, Graucho Marks, Jerry Seinfeld ... yeah, we suck at comedy alright Rolling Eyes

United Kingdom Nigeria Ghana Ivory Coast Russia United States Canada Switzerland Ukraine Netherlands Saudi Arabia Benin United Nations Australia Austria Ireland Spain Germany Italy France Malaysia Portugal Brazil South Africa Sweden Thailand China Japan Bulgeria
pyramid x4 Mortar x5
Safari J03L Akum14h - Accra to Tamale and back again (co-bait with Kurat)
"So if i may ask,who bangs you?" J03L Akum14h
"I like a chicken. I shall tell about it somehow." S4tty
"In fact, our correspondent is almost arrested by the security agent for bringing in fake information" Barrister W0ngM@rtins
"hey what fuck are u don't reply bul sheet go to heal" Mr. Samuel (a jilted love lad)
vaultdweller
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A SKYHOOK wrote:
id like to apologise about ow Australian copy of top gear it was crap they could have done so much better but they tried to copy the skills of mister slow and the long and short other two you cant try and copy a classic show in another country with out losing some thing no mater what show it is.
Why try and improve something if it ant broke

Guess which country is stealing Top Gear next? I don't understand how us yanks could make an american car show, because in the words of Clarkson the Great, "It is American so it issss rrrrrrrrrrrubbish!"
Then he does that sharp breath intake through his teeth. Yeah, he really does that. Alot.

I have written Han because at Russian people so name beloveds. This word is meant by the leader. Also associates with force, courage, riches. Han this historical name of the man. Now I cannot write the big letter as I do not have money to the Internet. - N@t@ly@

'you most be a fool mother f*****' 'am not in a good mud now' 'i dont need can of man like you' -b3cky t|mmy

''lol ur my kid of huy will like too f*** u till u come - luvdoc

'yahoozeeeeeeeeeeeee' : secret word FOR SCAMMERS ONLY!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic