SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Formal apology

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

On the behalf of the United States of America, I would like to issue a formal apology to our brothers and sisters across the pond for this impending travesty of justice.

CLICK

*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's an article on other attempts, including AF to translate British humour.

CLICKY

The Office started off well but now it is beginning to suck badly.

Jennifer Saunders (as well as Dawn French) are comic geniuses and as such, are irreplaceable.
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't worry about it, I don't watch TV

Old Telecom Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am sure it will be awful.....

Whether it is successful or not remains to be seen.

"Mimi si yule ninayesema ni mimi" - Larry

"sir i have just told you the gospel truth" - D4n Nkw3rr3
Safari = Group safari - Dan Nkw3rr3: Port Harcourt to Abeche (with a layover in Cameroon)
Closed lad accounts x 4 Cellphone x 2 pony
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

"The Office" seems to translate well, and I find it very entertaining. AbFab can not translate successfully, here in the states, with the dark subject matter that is at it's core. It will be filtered in a way that will make it very un-funny.

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I really don't see why it's necessary to remake shows that are already in English, surely you can understand them as they are.

We wouldn't dream of remaking Happy Days, Will and Grace or friends. We just accept that the characters are Americans and that's why they don't talk proper, (like what we do!)

Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Roger The Cabin Boy wrote:
I really don't see why it's necessary to remake shows that are already in English

Hence the apology. We, on this side of the pond, will surely mess it up. AbFab (in it's original state) is pure comic genius. We will produce a sanitized, politically correct pile of shit trying to emulate it.

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmmm, I take it you didn't see "Little Britain USA" then. Laughing

Yastreb
Common Street Thawth Vergabon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Pastor Frank wrote:
AbFab (in it's original state) is pure comic genius. We will produce a sanitized, politically correct pile of shit trying to emulate it.

Sounds like what they did to Kath and Kim.

May you never se the end of the year, May you sick and die in JESUS NAME AMEN.
MARK MY WORD, YOU SHALL FALL SICK, IF YOU DONT PLEASE WITH ME, YOU SHALL DIE OF THE SICKNESS, THIS IS MY FINAL WORD TO YOU
I HAVE PLACED YOU UNDER MY ORACLE GODS,
YOU SHALL CRY AND BEG FOR FORGIVENESS OR YOU DIE

United Kingdom x5 Spain New Zealand Senegal Ghana x2 Benin Closed lad accounts x 246
Safari x 5 - Oyenka Chidinma Lagos-Cotonou; Dickyboi Lagos-Accra; Femmy Lagos-Porto Novo; "Woody" Accra-Singapore; Henry Philip Abuja-Natitingou w/MG & DSW
Sand Timer x 7
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I believe that The Mighty Boosh and Saxondale are also on the table to be made as US versions.

Incidentally, has any US comedy been remade into a UK version?
Apart from the dreadfully dire The Upper Hand (a remake of Who's the Boss).

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
Roger The Cabin Boy
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Crying or Very sad Noooooooooooooooo! please not the Boosh! Crying or Very sad

Supremescam
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As a british expat, it pains me to say it but there is no-one this side of the atlantic who can get anywhere near the comical genius of, for example, Bill Bailey.

North America - take the hint, you suck at comedy.
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Supremescam wrote:

We suck at adapting British comedy into a prefabricated American format. I admit that, but we also have some good "home grown" comedy, so please keep the generalizations at a minimum.

Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Is this any good? It's just about to start here in Australia. The British one was fantastic.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0787490/

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion
Cellphone x15 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts 50+

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

- I am the King of Rome, and above grammar
Easter Egg
A SKYHOOK
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

id like to apologise about ow Australian copy of top gear it was crap they could have done so much better but they tried to copy the skills of mister slow and the long and short other two you cant try and copy a classic show in another country with out losing some thing no mater what show it is.
Why try and improve something if it ant broke

Twisted Evil Last edited SUN/8/2010 by one of the skyhooks The pointed eared fairy, aka "Yasterb" is much nicer looking now since the operation thats her in her new avatar the one on the left with the wax "dummy" of the old elfie Twisted Evil
Supremescam
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Pastor Frank wrote:
Supremescam wrote:

We suck at adapting British comedy into a prefabricated American format. I admit that, but we also have some good "home grown" comedy, so please keep the generalizations at a minimum.

There are indeed, I love scrubs for one. Britiain too has produced its share of awful comedy, my family and my hero... who would've known someone who was in father ted could partake in something so awfully bad.

British stand-up however, almost always great. Especially the kind that rip the audience to bits.

EDIT:

Quote:
id like to apologise about ow Australian copy of top gear it was crap they could have done so much better but they tried to copy the skills of mister slow and the long and short other two you cant try and copy a classic show in another country with out losing some thing no mater what show it is.
Why try and improve something if it ant broke

Laughing
larry
Old Telecom Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It always bothers me that the genius' in the USA showbiz feel that they have to remake a show so that is will be palatable to the great unwashed masses. What ever happened to originality? I think the shows should be left to stand in their original state. People aren't as stupid as they think. (on the other hand, advertisers can be very dense).

Look at the mess they made of the American Red Dwarf.... and Fawlty Towers without Basil Fawlty? .... Please!

It is all in the pursuit of $$$ rather than in the pursuit of art....

"Mimi si yule ninayesema ni mimi" - Larry

"sir i have just told you the gospel truth" - D4n Nkw3rr3
Safari = Group safari - Dan Nkw3rr3: Port Harcourt to Abeche (with a layover in Cameroon)
Closed lad accounts x 4 Cellphone x 2 pony
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Personally, I can't wait for the American version of The Chuckle Brothers' 'Chucklevision' Shocked Laughing

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
Wright B Hindyou
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
AbFab (in it's original state) is pure comic genius

Let's not go over the top.

Fawlty Towers is pure comic genius. Yes Minister is pretty close. AbFab is formulaic and stereotypical, funny in spots but in no way deserving of the title genius.

"bastard like you, I will kill you with my hand, son of nobody. May your soul rust in help." - Titi Andrew

"I trusted you very much without knowing that you are a drug addit person" - Emma Bambara

"THIS YOUR BEHAVIOR IS IRELEVANT AND CROSPOLOS CARACTER" - Madam Clarrise Keita.

"you must speak beter because we dont train mad people in this company." - Incredible Self-Baiting Pastor Joe
A SKYHOOK
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

no no no no yes no yes i would agree but you forgot "The Vicar of Dibley"

She who must be obeyed & i watched about 3 episodes last light in bed we have the hole set so were in for more fun tonight would any one know if there is any bloopers from the tapeing anywhere ???

Alice could not have kept that straight face all the time Laughing Laughing Laughing

Twisted Evil Last edited SUN/8/2010 by one of the skyhooks The pointed eared fairy, aka "Yasterb" is much nicer looking now since the operation thats her in her new avatar the one on the left with the wax "dummy" of the old elfie Twisted Evil
MeridianAlicante
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Lets see if I can put what I'm thinking into words.

Things like Little Britain and the Office translate well because they're mindless humour, slapstick, crude, that sort of thing.

Whereas Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers and the like have a dark edge to their humour.

Most people in both countries don't want humour you have to think about.

Example: Red Dwarf. They made Lister (the biggest slob in space), into a space hero, thus negating the whole point of the show. (how such a person is the last human alive, and doing so well).
Blackadder: Heaven forbid they make this, because then Blackadder wouldn't be the snarky person that everyone loves. Baldrick would be either cut out or cut down in case it offends someone, the whole 4th series would be cut or rewritten so that the trenches were superb...I'll stop there.

Its the same reason why reality shows do so well. People don't want to have to think about what they watch, they just want to sit down and let their brains dribble out of their ears.

*takes off generalisation hat*

Can you tell I have an opinion on this?

Closed lad accounts x 7 Mortar x2

Fake Cheques: $150,000

"May God bless you? Happy exams in advance Thanks," Mr. Herbert Horsey

Click here to support 419Eater.com
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wonder how the US would remake The League of Gentlemen?

I`d love to hear some US locations for Royston Vasey Very Happy

Closed lad accounts x2

"you have luke worm in your brain" - Ekaetta Bello
"invite me to your country and let me clearify your legitimacy asshole" - Mose5 Uzem3
"the transfer was not authorized due to my persistent double mind" - Clement Wank
"this is not the time to play planks" - Mack Anthony

WIFI PDA - post while you dump
SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[FREE LAPHROAIG]</a>
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

/\/\ I've had a few nights out in Hadfield, the real Royston Vasey, and that is bizzare enough.

Rewrites of famous series and films to suit an American audience really gets my goat. The thought of the US remakes of stuff like Get Carter and The Italian Job makes my blood boil, its like doing a cover of a Beatles Song, just don't!

Perhaps we could remake Miami Vice, featuring Crockett and Tubbs as the Scunthorpe Drug Squad. They could live on a barge on the canal, and drive a Subaru, instead of flamingos taking off at the start we could have a flock of pigeons...

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Cathartic Kate
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Open All Hours - could be a store in Chicago.

Last Of The Summer Wine - in Florida.

Spike Milligan's Q series confused enough Brits - What would the Yanks make of him?

Laughing

Proud member of "The Todger Club"

Closed lad accounts < никогда достаточно

Goat
iMike
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Roycropper wrote:
/\/\ I've had a few nights out in Hadfield, the real Royston Vasey, and that is bizzare enough.

Rewrites of famous series and films to suit an American audience really gets my goat. The thought of the US remakes of stuff like Get Carter and The Italian Job makes my blood boil, its like doing a cover of a Beatles Song, just don't!

I've passed through 'Royston Vasey' a few times, but never stopped! We do plan a pilgrimage to the moor above Marsden, site of the Local Shop (there's a geocache there).

I did make the mistake of watching the remake of The Italian Job. Crying or Very sad

There aren't many US comedy programmes I watch. OK, Scrubs & Friends were a pleasant half hour viewing, but the only show I really laughed hard at was Police Squad. Or prior to that, Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In (I was only a kid at the time, honest).

The one I really, really hated (& apologies if I'm committing heresy here) was The Cosby Show.

Closed lad accounts x2

"you have luke worm in your brain" - Ekaetta Bello
"invite me to your country and let me clearify your legitimacy asshole" - Mose5 Uzem3
"the transfer was not authorized due to my persistent double mind" - Clement Wank
"this is not the time to play planks" - Mack Anthony

WIFI PDA - post while you dump
SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[FREE LAPHROAIG]</a>
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic