SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Beer.

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
blah
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I just realized that this may be my first post in the General Chat forum.. Embarassed

Anyways, I am an avid homebrewer. Does anyone else share this wonderful hobby with me?

This Sunday is "brew day" for me. I am going to make an attempt at another barleywine (with a bit more hops than the last one) a Dogfishhead 90min IPA clone, and something along the lines of Kolsch.

I've done ok with the barleywine and IPA's in the past but I am having trouble with the Kolsch clones.

Anybody ever made a good one? Any advice to impart on me? Very Happy

M7CN Mangler - 1998 clicks. This process is absolutely embarassing. - Sgt. Jones
M7CN Mangler+SecSh1eld+Allst@r= How dear you make me go thru such stress.. - Fr@nk West

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here for dirty nasty pr0n!!1]</a>
pony pony pony
Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x6
Star
sir scam alot
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not into brewing but I love IPAs.

Currently I'm sipping on a Sam Adams Light.

Safari = Group safari - Dan Nkwerre: Port Harcourt to Abeche, Chad
Safari2 = Barr. Mustapha Marlick: Lome, Togo to Abuja Nigeria and Accra, Ghana.
pony Mortar x15 (some survived) Closed lad accounts x280 T.W.A.T Nurse Nastys Audi TT United States
<b>Have you kicked your lad today?<b>
Over $1 million USD in fake checks/money orders confiscated Easter Egg
Dupes
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Never had the chance to homebrew beer, I make my own wine though, albeit usually with grape concentrate rather then the real deal. Despite its cheapness/simplicity it always does the trick for quick inebriation, I'm not a serious winemaker.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Not a home-brewer, but if you need someone to come over and taste your creations I'll be right over. Wink

I've always wanted to try brewing. How long have you been doing it?

Mortar x 18 Closed lad accounts x 64 United Kingdom Malaysia Senegal Liberian Flag United States China Nigeria Spain South Africa Togo Benin Ghana United Arab Emirates Germany cameroon pony Mc Fry Easter Egg
Winner of the Summer Challenge Prize August 2008
Pith Helmet - St4nley's Xmax Adventure - I am suppose to be your Lover and not your house lad. - St4nley
Golden Pith Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Cotonou to Lome x2, Cotonou/Lagos/Abuja/Yankari, Cotonou/Parakou, Lagos/Maiduguri, Lagos/Douala, Dakar/Gambia/Keyes - Hector w/ team Hectard
Safari Barack Obama Scammed - Benin-Lagos-Maiduguri 'Oh Shit' - Hon. M4rtins
Safari Cotonou/Lome - D Brown
Sand Timer Hector Sand Timer Dr David O
blah
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Jane

About a year and a half now. I took a break during the holidays for the sake of needing to buy presents etc. But for awhile I was brewing a new batch every two weeks or so.

You would think that 6 gallons of beer would last a while, but with two roommates, think again. Sad

I now have a pumpkin porter thats ready to swill, and I have to admit, it's pretty damn good. Very Happy

To get started in homebrewing only costs about $100US. And that will include all your equipment (roughly $70US) and the extract ingredients for 5.5 gallons of beer.

I have moved on to "all-grain" recipes simply for the challenge and flexibility. But anyway you do it is a lot of fun! Very Happy

M7CN Mangler - 1998 clicks. This process is absolutely embarassing. - Sgt. Jones
M7CN Mangler+SecSh1eld+Allst@r= How dear you make me go thru such stress.. - Fr@nk West

pony pony pony
Star
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds interesting, all we do here in harvest time is getting the barley in bins and sit on it until the price is right, I might as well make good use of it.
Any good websites about it, the process I mean, I'm thinking big Laughing

beers!

Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@Mentor

The best site that I have ever found for just about anything/everything having to do with homebrew is here.
http://www.beertools.com

They have a really nice tutorial for beginners here.
http://www.beertools.com/html/tutorial/index.shtml

Seeing as you're an old retired guy bill, I would highly suggest taking up a rewarding hobby such as this. It keeps you from getting senile. Wink

*edit*
One nice thing about the site is that they are very well-rounded in the sense that they cater to not just Americans, but to everyone.

Find the recipe for your favorite beer and then go make your own BETTER version of it! Very Happy

pony pony pony
Star
limburger
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Bill
Do you know how to do the malting process on that raw barley of yours? You'll need to do that before you can get any beer out of it. I found a link from an old magazine that should work.

http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/44-malt/1097-make-your-own-malt

It would be very interesting to malt your own--I've never heard of anybody that has done it before.

As for the original post, I share the hobby with you but have never made a kolsch. Not an easy beer to make well I understand as it is rather light and flaws are more obvious than with many other beers.

so your job is to hack some body job you go die and you must run mad in this country all generation will go to hell fire i must get you and i will troll way you inside beach idiot as you hack my money and you crate email dey write richard as you do it i will spoil the job . idot --Steve F
A SKYHOOK
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

iv done a little but have been doing other thing of late about 10 years ago when i was in cairns i got into it and made some nice dark ales than i moved to brisvagas (brisbane) and the change in the weather changed my brewing i also bought some special caps for brewing wine and cider it was as easy as falling of a log buy 2lts of apple juice put in measured amount of yeast that was supplied with kit put cap supplied with kit and wait required time on chart . dame nice cider similar to stongbow and i made a really really nice sparkling mango one the thought of it makes me want to get back into it ..
A word of warning to brewers don't add more suger to get more alcohol rating it stuffs you up big time Laughing Laughing
I will try and find the link on the caps well worth the money

http://www.oztops.com.au/

Twisted Evil Last edited SUN/8/2010 by one of the skyhooks The pointed eared fairy, aka "Yasterb" is much nicer looking now since the operation thats her in her new avatar the one on the left with the wax "dummy" of the old elfie Twisted Evil
Sir Cumfrence
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been doing HB for about three years now. A restricted budget limits me to K&K but at least that can be augmented with additional hops and malt. For some time I've been culturing Wyeast smack-packs which definitely keep the cost of good quality yeast down and markedly improve the end result. Temperature control during fermentation can be a bit of a bugger during summer considering the lack of a designated brew fridge. At least one local'ish homebrew company has reported a marked increase in sales in the face of a worsening economy. It's a common feature apparently when the economy becomes depressed that many people will forego a visit to the pub/bar and turn to brewing their own at home.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I used to make my own beer, it became known as 'lager free alcohol' Shocked After we drank a couple of crates of it over a weekend, my mate Joe thought that to still feel too ill to go to work on Tuesday was a bit much. puke

Years ago I had a Polish girlfriend, her dad took vodka and distilled it again in his kitchen to get rid of more of the girlie water in it. Zero to hammered in five minutes, as I vaguely recall..... Shocked

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
A SKYHOOK
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Roycropper
there a few guys getting into small stiles over here talk about rough brews some of them are not taking the first litre off the start. "Holy fire starting material" The more experienced ones use it to start the barby or top up there fuel tanks Laughing Laughing Wink

Twisted Evil Last edited SUN/8/2010 by one of the skyhooks The pointed eared fairy, aka "Yasterb" is much nicer looking now since the operation thats her in her new avatar the one on the left with the wax "dummy" of the old elfie Twisted Evil
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ blah-limburger and all the other posters.
Thanks for the info, now I know why nobody here does it, we don't have good water. You would have to use bottled water, for all steps, which means added costs which will out way free barley I guess. But it's an interesting process, I might buy a package and try it once.
I like the darker stronger "trappist" kind of beer Pauwels Kwak being my favorite, any hints in that direction?

Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tried homebrewing a couple of times with varying degrees of success.

Worst I ever made was when I was a student - looked like someone had been sick in a bucket & took the lumpy bits out. puke Just down the road was a pub which sold Matthew Browns bitter in 4 pint plastic takeaway jugs. We used to buy these, drink the bitter, fill the jug up with the revolting homebrew & take them to parties. Needless to say, we drank everyone else's. Laughing

Closed lad accounts x2

"you have luke worm in your brain" - Ekaetta Bello
"invite me to your country and let me clearify your legitimacy asshole" - Mose5 Uzem3
"the transfer was not authorized due to my persistent double mind" - Clement Wank
"this is not the time to play planks" - Mack Anthony

WIFI PDA - post while you dump
SAY 'NO' TO GAS STORAGE!

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[FREE LAPHROAIG]</a>
laibach
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

much like Dupes, i haven't ever had the chance to home brew it. Sam adams is pretty good. A little expensive, for someone like me Smile
Doodle Bug
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Any Brits of a certain age remember party seven’s

Who is this person Mickey Mouse???
trying to dercieve hoorable men like me. You are stupid man ok.
blah
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@bill/Mentor

http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=2349
Wink

Not to mention this is an "Extract" recipe which is perfect for beginners! Very Happy

As far as your local water goes.
If you drink it, then you can brew with it.

If you only drink bottled/purified water, then just go pick up 5 or 6 gallons of the same stuff you like. Purified water in the grocery store here in the USA runs about $0.50 per gallon.

Or there's also those little attachments you can put on your kitchen sink that will filter your water. Very Happy

pony pony pony
Star
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Doodlebug : - I met my wife when I gatecrashed the wrong student party. I had a party seven under my arm, and that was the third we'd gatecrashed that night.

Anyone with beer and a mate of Dave's (there was always someone called Dave) was welcome at any party.

I used to do a trick with party seven's, or any full can for that matter, if you put your hand flat on a table and bash the full can onto it, you bend the can, not your hand. It does pay to notice where the soldered join is that runs up the back of the can. Bash your hand with that bit and you break your hand Shocked

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic