SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Help! - Kickstart my PC's!

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm sat here with the laptop on my knee. Upstairs the PC is booting up and shutting down again.

It does the POST, then goes to the page with the black screen and windows logo. Then back to as if it had just been turned on.

It puts up the screen asking if I want safe mode, last known settings etc, but whatever I select its exactly the same. I can get into the POST settings screen, but can't see anything I can change that would help at all.

Anthing I can do other than beat it to death with a large rock? I'm using XP with service pack 3, btw. Last night it shut down normally.

EDIT: If the HDD was down, would I even see the Windows logo? I think not. There is no BSOD

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey

Last edited by Roycropper on Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What are your PC's specs?
Did you just install SP3 on it?
Can you check your system temps in BIOS?
You could make an Linux live boot disk w/ your laptop and see if it will boot with it.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
Harry Bawls
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I know this won't help much, but it seems I saw somewhere within the last 2 weeks a virus was going around that would cause a computer to do what you are describing. I will look and see if I can find some info on it.

I had to re-format a machine after downloading SP3. F'd up everything. I have the auto updates turned off now.........

ETA: Don't know if this will help, but try looking HERE
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Roy,

Try OD's tip of trying a live CD. If that works, then your motherboard is fine, and everything points to the hard disk. Either an infection, a corrupted Master Boot Record by glitch or by an infection, or a hard disk failure. In any case, it looks like you could be in for a total re-install of Windows to be sure there are no infections on the hard disk. I hope you have backups of important files, Roy.

@Harry, turning off Microsoft updates will leave your pc open to nasties.
At the very least, set it to "alert me of updates, and let me install them" or whatever the setting says.

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

if you can run the Ubuntu live disk and see if you can mount the hard disk there, then you know it's still working, can safe files too.
Had this once with a 2 HD STA raid Volume and fixed it, still up and running fine https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

First try to find out the error message: From the link that Harry posted:

Quote:
Start your computer back up and tap F8 to get into the advanced startup options. Here, choose "Disable automatic restarts on system failure" This should keep it from restarting. The blue screen error message should stay on the screen now.

Some time ago I had a PC with the same symptoms, turned out to be corrupted 'registry hives'. Windows automatically saves these files, they can be copied back to replace the corrupted ones following this procedure: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/ . Worked perfectly for me.

SpainNigeriaNetherlandsCanadaSouth AfricaUnited KingdomAustraliaIvory CoastGhanaTogoUkraineIrelandHong KongFranceSenegalGermanyBeninTurks and CaicosIndonesiaPortugalBurkina FasoMalaysiacameroonJapanGambiaSierra LeoneKenya deadified fake websites) x 374
Mortar x11 Closed lad accountsx a couple Cellphone pony Easter Egg Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Golden Goat
Yes we can! (with a bit of help)
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just to add to the jollility, the laptop is now crashing, but after it boots up windows. Both computers got an autoupdate earlier in the week. Just trying a system restore with the laptop (it crashed while doing it). Running chkdsk /f from the boot disk has got this desktop up and running, even though it didn't complete it.

I'm going to back some stuff up PDQ, in case it won't fire up again, back later.

EDIT, found how to save the BSOD on the laptop (as above), the message is

'IRQL_NOT_LESS-OR-EQUAL' I'll Google to see what that's about next.

Also STOP=0x000000A (0xFF1511F2, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804D9B64)

It most be an XP problem, it doesnt crash with the BSOD, or the loading screen when I press F8, they'll stay up indefinitely.

I cant beleive they pick the same day to F8ck me about, I darent turn this PC off now to run chkdsk, in case it wont restart. Twisted Evil

At Least the important stuff is backed up, in case I have to do a reinstall.

You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Harry Bawls
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SlapHappy wrote:

@Harry, turning off Microsoft updates will leave your pc open to nasties.
At the very least, set it to "alert me of updates, and let me install them" or whatever the setting says.

You are correct, and that's exactly how mine is set. When I said turned off, I meant the auto D/L and install. I wait at least 1 week before installing the update. That gives MS time to patch the feck up they just released.
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

/\/\ Good idea.

Anyone know a free registry cleaner that works? The laptop is still crashing from XP, and despite running Spybot (and finding 10 items to be removed) I daren't turn this desktop off until I feel I've done all I can.

Of course all the reviews of registry cleaners Ive seen are biased or paid for, I trust noone (apart from you guys).

You go die like bird
Pith Helmet 10
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Using one that was recommended here last week http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155495 no problems so far

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Not that it's of much help ... http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms793589.aspx ... Now which driver is causing the probs?

I came across some forum posts having probs with the wireless adapter in combination with error code 0x804D9B64. Try and update your wlan adapter driver with the latest version.

SpainNigeriaNetherlandsCanadaSouth AfricaUnited KingdomAustraliaIvory CoastGhanaTogoUkraineIrelandHong KongFranceSenegalGermanyBeninTurks and CaicosIndonesiaPortugalBurkina FasoMalaysiacameroonJapanGambiaSierra LeoneKenya deadified fake websites) x 374
Mortar x11 Closed lad accountsx a couple Cellphone pony Easter Egg Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Golden Goat
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for that Bill2. Ccleaner found a squillion cookies, some quite dodgy looking (as in did I really visit that site? Embarassed) and cleaned them > Ijust rebooted the desktop, no hangups. Phew!

The laptop is still being an arse, but getting spybottted and ccleanered too as I type this.

You go die like bird
Pith Helmet 10
Dutch
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Does the laptop have a wireless connection to your router/ modem? If so: switch off your wifi on the laptop, and hook it up with a network cable. If it's stable you can be sure it's the wlan adapter driver.

Harry Bawls
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Roy, Ccleaner works good, but I have found THIS finds even more errors and it's free too. I've been using it for about 1 year now with no problems.
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wierdly, I've realized that the laptop has always crashed when I've taken it upstairs, near the wifi hub. Now it's behaing perfectly.

A couple of weeks ago I tried using it in bed and it constantly crashed, when I brought it back down here, where I'm typing on it now, it was fine. I put that down to overheating, due to the vents being blocked when I had it on the quilt.

Now I'm starting to wonder if the wifi hub could be overwhelming the laptop, maybe the rf is crashing it. Strange how there's no problem down here, ever, it crashed all day upstairs. A brief Google didnt show up similar problems. Just glad Ive spent my Sunday dicking around with my PC's and not lost a day's work. Ho hum.

You go die like bird
Pith Helmet 10
Cathartic Kate
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad you managed to find something to do other than beat it to death with a large rock?

Now what are going to do with the rock?

Laughing

Proud member of "The Todger Club"

Closed lad accounts < никогда достаточно

Goat
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think the laptop is crashing because the altimeter senses it's too high. Wink Ok, no idea why that one is, but that is strange.

As for the desktop, mine was working great until XP SP 3 was installed a while back, then it started taking almost 10 minutes to boot. I heard Dell's were caught in a constant reboot. Is yours a Dell?

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
Dutch
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Did you test a cable network connection on your laptop yet?

Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

/\/\ Naa, it's now working fine again, downstairs.

RFI can discombobulate electronics, as I found out when I used to radio ham using strong transmitters, I could set alarms off for fun. That's why the wont let you use mobiles in hospitals and airplanes.

Neither is a Dell, the laptop's a Sony Vaio, and the pc is best described as 'Generic'.

Thanks for your help peeps, hopefully all will be back to normal now, and the laptop will stay downstairs.

You go die like bird
Pith Helmet 10
Dutch
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Roycropper wrote:
and the laptop will stay downstairs.

Well.. If you're happy with that, so am I. errr.. No I'm not. So it's the wlan after all, why not just update the drivers and carry the bloody thing wherever you wish to collapse with a laptop? A solution is better than a workaround isn't it?

Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That's me told! I'll look for drivers tomorrow, my eyes have had enough. The laptop usually lives down here though.

You go die like bird
Pith Helmet 10
A SKYHOOK
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Harry Bawls wrote:
@Roy, Ccleaner works good, but I have found THIS finds even more errors and it's free too. I've been using it for about 1 year now with no problems.

@ harry
when you say this which one do you mean ??

Twisted Evil Last edited SUN/8/2010 by one of the skyhooks The pointed eared fairy, aka "Yasterb" is much nicer looking now since the operation thats her in her new avatar the one on the left with the wax "dummy" of the old elfie Twisted Evil
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

CCleaner comes to the rescue again. I really like the program. I don't bother with Spybot and ADaware anymore. I've turned the radio off my router and have strung Cat 5 four ways throughout my house. I bet its reduced the need for tin foil underwear but I keep it on anyway.

Edit- Removed evidence of posting at 3 AM.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate

Last edited by Connie L. Gus on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad to hear it's mostly working ok. Smile
Do you have a portable phone that runs at 2.4GHz upstairs? Maybe that's what's interfering with the laptop wireless connection. Confused

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@SH, I do have a portable up here, right next to the wireless router. between them they must make a right old rf racket. If I put either near my PC speakers you can hear them.

What frequencies they run on is a mystery known only to BT, no info in the manuals.

@ Skyhook, when you see a word in a different colour like that, it's usally hiding a link - click on the word to see what happens (Only on a site you trust Wink )

@ dutch, I'll see if Sony do an updated driver tonight, I'm on the desktop right now.

You go die like bird
Pith Helmet 10
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic