SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Japan: Police will freeze bank accounts

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
miyu
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yay. Finally they are taking the problem of fraud IN Japan seriously. Now if we can expand their horizon a little bit.

THE ASAHI SHIMBUN

2009/1/14

In a pre-emptive measure against con artists, the National Police Agency will ask financial institutions to freeze accounts that look like they may be used in bank-transfer scams, sources said Wednesday.

The new measure will start on a full-scale basis next month, they said.

In bank-transfer scams, con artists often call their targets pretending to be relatives in need of emergency funds. The targets are instructed to pay money into specified bank accounts.

Currently, police ask financial institutions to freeze accounts after the money is transferred and withdrawn by the fraudster. The idea is to try to catch the scam artists in the act and retrieve the stolen money.

Police had refrained from requesting a freeze on accounts before the victims suffered losses because such requests could infringe on individuals' rights.

But with bank-transfer fraud showing no signs of letting up, police changed their stance and decided that leaving shady accounts open could give con artists a tool to use against future victims.

Many fraud attempts are detected by the would-be targets or bank employees before the money is transferred. Under the new system, if those people or the banks inform police about the fraud attempts, police will investigate and ask financial institutions to freeze any suspicious account involved.

Banks accounts opened illicitly under other people's or fictitious names are sold on black markets, including those on the Internet. The prices of those accounts jumped from 40,000 yen to 50,000 yen in 2007 to 80,000 yen to 100,000 yen in 2008 as financial institutions have applied stricter measures to confirm the identities of those who open accounts.

"If the freeze of such bank accounts spreads, the prices of the illicit accounts will rise further, making it more difficult for fraudsters to commit bank-transfer scams," an NPA official said.

Financial institutions have, in principle, accepted such requests from police and can freeze accounts on their own discretion.

From 2004 to 2007, police made 25,000 to 32,000 requests a year to financial institutions to freeze accounts.

In the first six months of 2008, the number of requests was about 16,000.

About 40,000 bank accounts are frozen annually, according to the Japanese Bankers Association.

(IHT/Asahi: January 14,2009)

[08:08] pastor_jerry45: b4 u try anything on me....i will destroy, i will make ur life impossible (Yim "romance" scammer)

PA writes: I wouldn't mind if you locate the House in Tokyo or Osaka, as long as it is good and very close to where you stay, so that we can always keep in close touch with eash other. (Oh, warm and fuzzy feeling).
irishemigrant
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Interesting post Miyu Smile

Good to see you posting again too Very Happy

http://www.scamwarners.com/ For when you want to remember why we bait

Goodbye Mike (Paranoid) Friend, confidant, partner. Till we meet again.
Personal Message From The Axeman
Easter Egg 2012 pony pony <-- Because you have earned them. Wink Goat Goat Golden Goat Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts a few x 13
Kokomeister
Baiting Guru

Location: Wandering around the world with a sense of adventure!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Japan takes EVERYTHING too serious. They went into a state of panic after 7 students were killed in a school shooting. There has been much worse school shootings in America and Finland than the one in Japan. Rolling Eyes I'm surprised they haven't responded to fraud sooner.

EDIT: Come to think of it there are quite a few Nigerias in Japan. Maybe a few of them may have something to with it eh?

@Miyu: Thanks for that article! Razz

YOU ARE TOO SMALL, GO AHEAD WITH WHATEVER YOU THINK OR IMAGINED THAT YOU CAN DO TO ME, ONCE YOU TRY ONCE YOU WILL DIE HARD. YOU BETTER DON'T TRY ME AT ALL YOU FOOL- Mariam Abacha (6 months)
<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=232044">[Current ongoing bait]</a>
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Exclusive prizes]</a>
Closed lad accounts x17 Goat Easter Egg 2011 Nigeria
Safari Auntie Tina- Lagos-Parakou-Tanguieta-Niamey-Tera-Mallanville-Lagos "well the story you read in children's fairytale story book when you are young is not the same as what is happing now."
Inspector Gadget
Angel of unrealistic meetings

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm sure Alan will be only too pleased to see this information. Now we need to see how many accounts we can get for him.

Pith Helmet Halil, Cotonou to Accra
Pith Helmet + Sand Timer Precious 10/08/11
Cellphone x8 Nigeria Spain Mortar x34 Closed lad accounts x 73 Goat
grown up man like him, still doing all this shit games - Stanley, (he doesn't like Parcel Direct)
You again do the strange reflections stuffed with drugs? - Natalia
Sand Timer x3 Hector 24/1/13 Sand Timer Moses 15th Oct 2011
Pretty Rose Sand Timer x 2Mick Ole 11th Sept 2014-16 Sand Timer Asare Akuffo start 4th Aug 2014
miyu
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

No the Japanese police do not respond. This is called furikome sagi in Japan. The first reported case was in 1986. This is a purely domestic kind of fraud, unless the Nigerians are trying it too.

@ Koko.Dk , yes there are Nigerians in Japan. They launder money but this is probably too small time for them. 2 Nigerians are now in prison for money laundering anwyay.

[08:08] pastor_jerry45: b4 u try anything on me....i will destroy, i will make ur life impossible (Yim "romance" scammer)

PA writes: I wouldn't mind if you locate the House in Tokyo or Osaka, as long as it is good and very close to where you stay, so that we can always keep in close touch with eash other. (Oh, warm and fuzzy feeling).
bearkat419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nigerians aren't the only ones that do scams. I'm just saying... Wink

419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I know. when the 2 Nigerians were arrested there were also 11 Japanese arrested. They were mules for the money laundering. One was a yakuza, one was probably a yakuza wannabee and 2 were underage minors.

alan
Not quite a Newb!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am licking my lips in anticipation!!! The Japanese were one of the better nations in dealing with our information. This should lead to even more Chinese and Nigerian Accounts appearing in my lists. Twisted Evil

As this part of the forum is searched by Google Bots, I will repeat my mantra.

NEVER SEND MONEY TO ANYONE NOT KNOWN PERSONALLY TO YOU VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM OR ANY OTHER CASH TRANSFER SERVICE.

To which I must add. IF SOMEONE OFFERS A BANK ACCOUNT IN CHINA OR NIGERIA TO RECEIVE MONEY FOR ANY TRANSACTION. WALK AWAY. There are honest businesses in both countries, but the level of fraud is such that unless you are in a position to personally check out the individuals behind the accounts, you are highly likely to lose your money.

Finally, in spite of being an African Country, South African banks take a robust view of fraud via SABRIC and do not feature very often in my lists. However there is one exception. Rennies Bank is not a member of SABRIC and operates a money transfer system similar to that operated by MoneyGram. Money can be sent from overseas to a named individual in South Africa who does need to be an Account holder at Rennies Bank - he merely has to produce his id card. The scammers have discovered this system and are using it increasingly for their schemes. IF YOU ARE INVITED TO SEND MONEY TO ANYONE AT A BANK ANYWHERE THAT CONTAINS THE SWIFT CODE "RNNSZA" WALK AWAY UNLESS YOU HAVE KNOWN THE RECIPIENT PERSONALLY FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic