SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

My uncle receives a check in mail?? Please advise!

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
GotNoCash
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I hope this is in the correct forum, if not MODs please move to where it needs to be.

My uncle receives a check in the mail I am told a few minutes ago by my parents. I told them immediately that it was a scam check. Made out in his name and from Toronto, Canada. My uncle doesn't even go to Canada.

He does NOT have internet, the check is apparently for a lottery winning? So my parents say. I told them to tell him that he needs to go to the police with it? And also informed them to tell my uncle DO NOT CASH it.

Any other suggestions? Should I try to get more info from my uncle for the more experienced here as to see if anything is real about this check as far as it being a scam? Maybe info that could help shut this operation down or a bank.

Sorry I am a newbie and I don't have enough info other than no one gives out money for free unless you actually entered a lottery.

I guess he went to post office with it and they wanted to keep it to show their head postmaster. But my uncle wasn't about to part with it.
manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Were there any other instructions with the cheque (like paying a fee to anyone via WU?). You're right, it'll be a scam, and Toronto seems to be popular with postal scammers in general.
GotNoCash
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

manbiteslion,

I am not sure, I explained to my parents how that works and asked. They really don't know. The way my dad sounds he might try and cash it. That's what I am afraid of. My uncle is retired, 78 years old and ill, needs money too.

I will definitely try to go and get photos tomorrow for this thread if he lets me. I will get all the info I can possibly if he allows me. Of course less his personal information.

GotNoCash
GotNoCash
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I called my parents to see if they knew any more info. My dads says a letter came with a check in the amount of $5,000 in it stating not to cash it yet. Something about he is suppose to send a WU payment and that there was an 800 number for the US and Canada.

Oh and it was Ottawa, Ontario - Canada, not Toronto as I earlier stated.

Definitely a scam as far as everything I have read here. (Not that I needed to read or know about this site to put 2 + 2 together. ) Wink

What I find odd is that my dad says (as far as he recalls) the letter says not to cash the check yet. Maybe someone more experienced than myself (which wouldn't take much) could enlighten me about.

*edit* My uncle I guess is out with his lady friend on a date. I'll try him in the morning.

Last edited by GotNoCash on Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Do everything you can to stop him from banking that cheque! If he didn't enter a lottery, he didn't win one, so it'll be a fake cheque and he'll get nothing but trouble from it as I think you suspect. At first it will all seem fine, he'll withdraw and spend the cash (or WU it to the scammers, worse still), but maybe 6 months later, once the bank have realised it's fake, it'll be removed from his account again, plus interest and fees, send him massively overdrawn, and possibly get him criminal proceedings from the bank. At 78, he doesn't need that, and nor do you, his family.

Get any extra info you can and post it up here - we may be able to give you more details about the scam (which you're right, it almost certainly is!)
PsycheDelia_Smith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If he hasn't entered the lottery, he hasn't won it, and as it claims to be a lottery outside his country, he couldn't legally enter it if he'd wanted to. It's unusual for the postal lottery scams to include a cheque as far as I know, it's usually the promise of said cheque, with a number to ring to claim your 'prize'.

I do remember reading about a variant where the victim is told the cheque is for 'clearance' for the actual, much larger, 'prize', though. The victim is supposed to send money drawn on the fake or stolen cheque for said 'clearance' fees.

It's a scam. Tear up and bin the cheque, and forget it.

"I am now completely twatted and shagged and will obey all your instructions to the fullest."-"Tosser" Oguguo

Golden Pith "Frankily speaking,I wouldn't want to travel to the far east again."-Edward Smith, Lagos-Singapore (14600 miles round trip via Dubai)

9x Safari 4 x Lagos-Accra , 3x Port Harcourt - Ibadan, 1x Lagos-Singapore, 1x Burkina-Bamako
Netherlands Nigeria Ghana South Africa
Sand Timer'Ed', 3 yrs 8 mnths Sand Timer'Oguguo',6 years and 4 months
GotNoCash
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^^
Oh, that reminds me. My dad says this is something about partial winning, that the total was something like $150,000.

Something about a process he has to go through...so I am curious how this scam works. That's why I will be adiment about getting info from my uncle.
manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^Yep that seals it, it's a come-on to cash the $5k and WU it back to them (which makes no kind of sense in the real world of course). Rip it up, no good can come of it. And give yourself a cheer for spotting it and doing something about it!

Next stage is to publicise the case in the local papers, church, social groups, etc., save anyone else getting caught out

Finally, we're always happy to have new baiters - come and take revenge against scammerkind for almost ruining your uncle!
GotNoCash
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Great idea, never thought of taking it to local papers. Where I live there are many elderly people. Small town, older community. Once i get photos and info I will contact local papers to see if they would publish the story as a warning to others. What about the newspaper mentioning of this website and others source for suspecting victims. Is that allowable?

I've already started baiting three days ago and exchanged several emails already with awesome success at getting all three (i know same person) of script easily. They are now answering all my additional questions about the weather, favorite colors etc.

I always ask at least two foolish questions in my exchanges. If they don't respond to them, I tell them if they can't answer my questions to get to know each other, I'll refuse to obey their instructions until they do so. It's worked and gotten every question I asked answered to date.

Sorry about going off topic. I just realized that.
A SKYHOOK
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

GotNoCash wrote:
I am not sure, . The way my dad sounds he might try and cash it. That's what I am afraid of. My uncle is retired, 78 years old and ill, needs money too.

GotNoCash

i would be letting the banks know and make sure your your uncle carnt cash it if he has than tell the bank now so that it does not become a bigger debt

some times you have to be cruel to be kind

Twisted Evil Last edited SUN/8/2010 by one of the skyhooks The pointed eared fairy, aka "Yasterb" is much nicer looking now since the operation thats her in her new avatar the one on the left with the wax "dummy" of the old elfie Twisted Evil
irishemigrant
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@GotnoCash

You'll be able to get the local newspapers interested I'm sure. Mention Eater, but more importantly, mention Scamwarners for information and help.

If you can convince your parents, get them to go with your Uncle to the Bank, make sure they take everything with them, letters, cheque etc, and tell the Bank that you are sure it is a fake,

It will be hard for your Uncle to accept, but I'd rather have an upset Uncle, than an Uncle facing criminal charges or worse.

Good Luck

http://www.scamwarners.com/ For when you want to remember why we bait

Goodbye Mike (Paranoid) Friend, confidant, partner. Till we meet again.
Personal Message From The Axeman
Easter Egg 2012 pony pony <-- Because you have earned them. Wink Goat Goat Golden Goat Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts a few x 13
manbiteslion
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi GNC,

The local papers love this kind of stuff, especially if they can relate it to their own readership with local people affected.

Personally I'd mention scamwarners.com as opposed to 419eater.com - they're the nice ones, we're the nasty ones (or ones the older paper readers might find more difficult). Actually it's many of the same people at both sites, just giving attention differently - scamwarners is about sharing scam information and so forth, we're the evil twins taking crude vigilante revenge (or that's how many journalists would see it if they just browsed casually).

If anyone from the paper would like to check their article factually, or to discuss other scams their readers may encounter, just PM me here with your email address and I'll happily help them.

Hope you saved a lot of tears and are the family hero now - you certainly should be!
Old No. 7
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ GotNoCash

All good advice above, but it might also be a good idea to visit Scamwarners.com yourself and post this scam so others who visit there can see it and are aware of this modality.

200+ sites killed, from these countries => United Kingdom Netherlands Russia Nigeria Switzerland Ukraine South Africa Germany United States Canada Senegal Benin Spain Ghana Ivory Coast Cambodia Flag United Nations

pony pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar

Like my flags? Want some of your own? Let justjay teach you how to kill sites here (clicky).

Hobbes may have retired, but get his brilliant WriteJunk here (clicky) and never touch a .dll again

Proud to be a mouth-breather who posted a load of shit, disappeared into the night but mysteriously reappeared after a long absence
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://thinkjessica.com/ is worth a visit too. It's devoted to elderly victims of lottery scams sent through the post.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic