SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Anyone seen this before?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
marky10
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I occasionally get 419 scams in my e-mail and I typically just delete them and move on. However, today I got an e-mail that left me a little concerned. Here's why:

(1) The e-mail subject line used my full name, correctly. There is nothing in my e-mail address that would hint at what my name is.

(2) The e-mail body discussed the name of a relative of mine who is real, though dead. The relatives' first name is uncommon. It is not something that would occur to someone by chance.

I did an ego search of the internet to see if there was any way someone could connect my e-mail address and my proper name. The only thing I could come up with was a rather obscure genealogy site that I posted to several years ago.

There was nothing on this site, however, that connected me to the relative mentioned in the e-mail.

I am concerned because this 419 scammer possesses details of my personal life that doesn't seem to be readily available on the internet. It's kind of freaky.

Has anyone see this before?
HellRyder
Pale Tracker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to Eater.

If you got the Email to your RL "offical" Email, I can see someone linking your name to the Email addy. I got a few to my work Email that had my last name and a long lost (although dead Rolling Eyes ) relative name... once in a while they got a name that could have matched one of my relatives... most times, they didn't.

As tempting as it may be to see how much, if anything, they know, I suggest not to bait this one from your personal Email. Search for the Email addy that sent you the AFF Email... or the Email addy they listed in the Email body. See if you get a hit in any of the search engines. Also search for your "relative" name... see what comes up...

United Kingdom x2 United States x2 Nigeria
Mortar 's
Closed lad accounts 's

Pith Helmet ARK: Tamale (Ghana) - Porto Novo (Benin): "it is a Hollywood movie"

Get your ninja sword and throwing stars here
NO MENTOR & NEW TO BAITING? Here's how to do it!
marky10
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, it isn't my RL work address but my standard personal address for friends and family and that is something in the nature of "[email protected]".

I did a search on both the lad's name and his e-mail address and came up blank in both cases. I can search my relative's name, but there is nothing to either tie it to my e-mail address or my RL name.

I am into genealogy and so I suppose it is possible if someone did some in-depth research they might be able to connect the two. But it certainly isn't simply picking a name off of a guest book type deal. I suppose it is also possible that, unlikely as it seems, it's sheer coincidence.

It just seems odd to me, that's all. There are three bits of data here (my RL name, my personal e-mail address, and my relatives name). I can't find anything just casually searching the internet that would tie those three bits of data together.
Captain Pike
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you don't reply, nothing will happen. He'll turn his attention elsewhere.

Even if he writes again, still don't reply. He'll move on.

"On the 21st of April 2001, my client? His wife and their three children were involved in a plane crash of Union Transport Africans Flight Boeing 727 in Cotonou, Benin Republic on the December 26,2003" Barrister Olorunshogo Williams, 25 October 2004.

"I am in reciept of your mail,i want you to know that you are really getting on my nerves." Burt Hardley, Wellkang International, 20 November 2007

"Please worry, we have already advice the FBI and they don't need to call you. They are very brianliant and intelident. They will get you soon. " Mr. Paul Rogers, Global Medical Equipment, 20 November 2007

As of 26 February 2009, $2,231,983.53 of fake checks and money orders have been intercepted and removed from circulation.
pablo
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@@marky10

He may have just been reading through the obiturary and then googling for name hits on the names of the survivors. It is a lot more work than blind scamming but I'll bet it is more successful.

A few years ago I got a dead bank account scam that referred to a plane crash that killed a man. It pointed to the newspaper stories. The "we can't trace his relatives and government will take the money line" was pretty funny. The man in question had lived two doors from my mother in law.

p.
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can you post the email here (including headers)? With all personal details XXX'd out.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
Cathartic Kate
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Could be pure coincidence.
Could be a friend or relative kidding you up.

Sherlock Holmes would draw up a list of anyone you know who would have all the information. Mrs Marple could then lock them up in a country home until the perpetrator is asked a "killer" last question by Columbo and Bob's your Uncle, unless he is named Bert or Margaretta.

My instinct says it's the latter, and is either female or male.

Laughing
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Johnathan Creek would prove that although it seemed cut and dry whodunnit, it was actually specially trained ants, using a crossbow and laser beams.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Roycropper wrote:
Johnathan Creek would prove that

He's back for a new one-off special over Christmas. Boxing Day probably as I've checked the listings up to Christmas Day.
I can't wait!

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I seem to remember a newspaper report of a victim losing a lot of money a year or two back, where the scammer was said to have got the information from a genealogy site. It was in Australia if memory serves.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic