SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Who are the victims of scams?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
larry
Old Telecom Guy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am interested in a breakdown of the demographics of scam victims.

Ages, locations, education....that sort of thing. can anyone point me to any information?

I keep wondering about how, as the population ages, a new generation is coming up with a higher level of computer literacy. (Sometimes I think with a higher level of cynicism as well). Does that translate into a lower number of potential victims in the future just through education? Or is it just a matter of the scammers evolving to meet this new challenge in ways we haven't seen yet?

I am interested in anyones thoughts on this.

Cheers

"Mimi si yule ninayesema ni mimi" - Larry

"sir i have just told you the gospel truth" - D4n Nkw3rr3
Safari = Group safari - Dan Nkw3rr3: Port Harcourt to Abeche (with a layover in Cameroon)
Closed lad accounts x 4 Cellphone x 2 pony
irishemigrant
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

www.scamwarners.com

have a look there

as far as ages go, I'd say 10% of the people that are new to the net, will get sucked in at some stage with a scam or phishing atempt.

it may be a romance, a refugee, a NOK, or just the usual craigslist/ebay scam, but they will be hit

If you want more specific details, sorry, we don't keep that, but I will venture a guess that the USA does figure highly in the victim figures

We deal with and see victims from everywhere in Scamwarmers, there is not time to collate or categorise as you ask.

http://www.scamwarners.com/ For when you want to remember why we bait

Goodbye Mike (Paranoid) Friend, confidant, partner. Till we meet again.
Personal Message From The Axeman
Easter Egg 2012 pony pony <-- Because you have earned them. Wink Goat Goat Golden Goat Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts a few x 13
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You probably won't find very accurate statistics, because victims aren't necessarily reporting this crime. Even those who are reporting it or finding help aren't all going to the same place for that help. Additionally, when we talk to victims at scamwarners, we don't always know their demographics.

I would say that as people become more aware of the standard NOK and orphan formats, the other types of scams are probably increasing: the fake check overpayment scams from auction sites, fake job (payment rep) scams and romance scams

I also notice an increase of victims in their 60's or older and victims from Asia, but that is based on my perspective and not on any statistics.

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Ages, locations, education....that sort of thing. can anyone point me to any information?
That's just the stuff that the internet takes away, if you can type and have access to a computer you're a possible victim. If you're not careful with your personal info, don't run a firewall or virus scanner you are bound to get trouble, no matter what age or language.
It is a "new" door to your home and lots of people haven't found out that the bad guys enter there too.
In the early days, if it was printed on computer paper (matrix printer, special lined perforated paper) it was true, no matter what. Wink
There is no internet school so everybody learns by trial and error, some pay a lot of learning money though. Confused

Adamu's soulmate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would say its impossible to know for sure as so many people will never admit to having been scammed due I would think to feeling foolish for having believed.

I would hope that over time and as people become more aware through sites such as this and reports in the media etc that the public will generally recognise a scam when they see one. Particularly the most obvious ones.

Also anyone who uses internet/email on a regular basis would, I hope wonder just how many times its possible to win the Canadian/Spanish/anywhere else in the world lottery that you didnt enter. I win at least 6 times a week Or why so may top officials throughout the world need their help to get money out of their country.

Having said all of that we still know that many many people do fall victim and that new scams are circulating all the time Sad

You can be of great assistance to helping this little wads realize their hope for tomorrow,

pony pony
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't want to Image, so I will say, look at the emails that get forwarded to you from your friends and family. All of those are potential victims (or active victims) to a scam. Too often the junk that is passed around is a vehicle to gather email addresses for scammers (not to mention it is annoyinig, invasive and silly).

The subject would make a good topic for a thesis. We occasionally get a graduate student stopping by looking for an easy thesis. Now we have one!

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
N N N
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A generalisation would simply be anyone that is vulnerable.

For some it's religion for others it's an easy way out of hard times, it's charity, it's aiding the dying ... it's greed, it's naievity, it's sex. They're all vulnerabilities and those avenues are all exploited ruthlessly by lads and spammers alike.
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's impossible to say as most scams go unreported, either the vic feels stupid and doesn't want to go to the police or the police take zero interest as they can't do anything. Anyone is a potential victim, you can read stories of rich intelligent people falling for scams or poor, uneducated ones.
There is no 'victim' template I'm afraid.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
larry
Old Telecom Guy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you all for your input!

I guess my greatest area of interest is in trends. For example:

- Is scamming a Baby Boomer phenomemum (probably spelled that wrong Very Happy )? From anecdotal evidence it seems that Boomers figure heavily as the victims of scams. Will scamming rise as boomers continue to age? Will scamming decline when Boomers are out of the picture?

- Are the younger generations going to be less vulnerable to these scams since they are more computer literate (and I think more cynical of what they see around them in many ways)?

Safari = Group safari - Dan Nkw3rr3: Port Harcourt to Abeche (with a layover in Cameroon)
mrsbean
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scamming will decline when it no longer makes the scammers money. Not before. As long as a scammer thinks they can play the numbers game for a profit, they'll try it.

And I think your "trend" will depend heavily on what sort of scam you're discussing. I find young people/young parents are far more likely to fall for a pet scam. They promise junior a purebred whatever and think they can save $400 by taking this doggie from this lady in Cameroon who is in the Peace Corps...

I also find, personally, I talk to more young victims of fake check scams. Seems they haven't learned the lesson of "The bank will always work this stuff to their advantage and screw you over if possible". They just trust the bank is nice and friendly and won't yank that cash back so fast it will make your head spin.

Quote:
- Are the younger generations going to be less vulnerable to these scams since they are more computer literate (and I think more cynical of what they see around them in many ways)?

(snort) Um, I work in a college. In the IT department. It's purely undergrad, and for that matter, supposedly one of the top colleges in the States, particularly of its size. You would think these kids would be reasonably savvy, right? Or at least that the faculty would be?

These kids regularly stun me with how naive they can be. See, ten to fifteen years ago, you had to work a bit harder and be a bit savvier to get online. Now, anyone can do it if you can pay a bill to your phone company.

The myth that "kids today" are more "computer literate" amuses me mightily. Yes, they don't usually run screaming at the idea of using a computer the way your granny might (depending on your granny). Do they know any more about safety on a computer, protecting themselves online or not falling for simple phishing or scams than the average college student did ten years ago? Nope. They know how to go online and download music. They know how to "facebook" and "myspace", and can usually use email, but that's it. They'll still click anything, trust anyone and misuse and abuse technology like crazy. We still have kids trusting their lone copy of their term paper to a floppy they stick in their back pocket. They don't know the basic workings of the internet or the computer.

Case in point, in the last two weeks, we have had to have not one, but TWO separate public smackdowns on our user base at large (supposedly top college students and PhDs who attract top college students...) about not 1a) emailing the entire campus by actually copying and pasting everyone in the address book into the "To" line and 1b) when someone is stupid enough to do 1a, please don't 1c) do the same thing when you reply and or 1d) use frigging reply all to email all several thousand people in that email with your exceedingly witty "LOL" or "Please remove me from this list!" which tends to bring the email server to its knees after about 20 exchanges and 2) No, we do NOT frigging email everyone on campus and give them mere hours to reply to a gmail address with their password so we can "combat expiring passwords", or else their account will be locked tomorrow.

This doesn't even begin to count the number of students we have who come in with hosed machines because they installed The Most Obvious Malware Ever and, yes, we've had students ask if standard scams we've all seen here (generally sweeps or lottery scams) were true.

No, college kids today aren't more cynical, especially if you seem to be offering something or just plain old seem nonthreatening. I'm slightly disturbed that I've never, in all the time I've been here, had a college student challenge or even ask me what I'm doing when I just pop in off the street, without anyone in the office having a clue who I am, and ask for access to someone's office or computer. Yes, I'm all of five feet of generally smiling female, but I don't think I look THAT trustworthy, and hell, half the staff/faculty don't even know I work here, much less the students.

I get the impression they are similarly blindly trusting of people in their inbox. It's probably good that we have a pretty tight spam filter.

Straightbait

Nifty anti-scam sites of interest
Artists Against 419 | Fraudwatchers |Scamomatic | Scampatroll Scam Victims United | Fake Checks Dot Org
larry
Old Telecom Guy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you! Food for thought. There is probably a doctorate or two to be made on this subject!!!

GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There is a greater chance of success for a scammer against the less enlightened and financially desperate but I have read of cases of a University Professor in the USA getting hooked in a fake cheque scam, a financial advisor in Australia who paid over A$1m (not his money either) and the mayor of a reasonable sized town in the UK who actually flew out to Africa.

There is a stage in both scamming and bating where the subject is so deeply drawn in to the tale that there is hardly an earthly force that can prevent them sinking deeper into the pit.

When you have a Lad in that situation you suddenly realise that however unbelievable it may appear that intelligent people fall for these stories, there is a stage at which reason goes out of the window, and Lads are similarly vulnerable.

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
nicetry21
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It is easier to fall for when , you are 40+ like me , and lonely , you don't want to die alone , thinking that these foreign women are different somehow than American women , different cultures and values , it seems that way at first , you think that you may have a chance , your heart takes over ... not using your head . Then you realize in my case , If it sounds to good to be true , it usually is . Then they ask the money question ... I am thankful for sites like this , it verified my suspisions , ... but I still feel like crap .

Almost scammed in USA
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^Welcome, and I am glad you are an "almost scammed". Please do post information about the scammer at our sister site (www.scamwarners.com). It can help others to find the M/O and email addresses used.

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
nicetry21
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

THX , even though I am a little crazy right now , mods correcting me
Just Pissed
lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm sorry that you were almost a victim, nicetry. Sad
It really isn't your age - There are many many victims of love scams from all age groups. Love scammers are really good at what they do. They will groom you for a long time, send you pictures of gorgeous woman, know exactly what to say and once they are convinced you are in love, they ask for the money. .

Quote:
THX , even though I am a little crazy right now , mods correcting me
Just Pissed

They're just trying to keep the board tidy. Very Happy

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star
Mortar Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mc Fry

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

Elton Purple Flower Black Ribbon Flying Monkey
nicetry21
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Full requote of previous post deleted. See it ^^^^

Thx , I was seriously considering selling one of my $20 gold pieces until I found this forum , donated $25 , damn worth it ... I have had a few laughs along the way , I love women , they just don't love me , I guess that I am wearing a cellaphane wrapper on my head that says sucker ... lol... scammed once for $300 , numerous others have tried ...

Edit : Maybe I am perfect bait material ... I am an evil bastard .
N N N
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well nicetry21 in due course and having learned all about it ("read the stickies, get a mentor") paying the beggars back is truly wonderful and the best therapy.
nicetry21
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Would definitely get a mentor here , would love a real good Vlad trophy ..
" The Feast of Resitance " .

Last edited by nicetry21 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
N N N
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just never imagine the picture they try to paint of a pretty/lonely girl with nice ... teeth etc.

See the reality ... slob of a guy in vert and shorts, puffing on something noxious in a sleazy cafe in downtown "Anyville, Some Country". A GUY totally prepared to trample his own mother into the dirt or worse to get your cash.
nicetry21
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The person ! If he can play that role , he seriously wants something , ...

Last edited by nicetry21 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
N N N
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Now what sort of fun do you think Nurse Nasty gets up to with an amourous lad?

It aint pretty I tell you! Twisted Evil

BTW - stop fully quoting the previous thread (da mods dey 'ate eet!)
lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've removed the excessive quotes. Very Happy

Please - there is no need to quote the previous thread when replying to a post. Hit the reply button as opposed to "quote" Wink

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star
Mortar Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mc Fry

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

Elton Purple Flower Black Ribbon Flying Monkey
4X1X9
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A lot of people on here understandbly have a downer on Ultrascan especially the recently departed SP because they charge victims a fee to try and recover money for them. However if it is stats you are interested in they have done some pretty impressive looking research, how valid it is remains unchallenged.

http://www.ultrascan.nl/assets/applets/2007_Stats_on_419_AFF_feb_19_2008_version_1.7.pdf

You will have to munch the statistics of the transfer so I can give to them - Mr. James Hessom Hessom

If not that you only hide behind computer and be playing prawns with us - Benny Clifford

Pith Helmet France - Luxembourg

Closed lad accounts x26 - 2012 Closed lad accounts x258 - 2013
Closed lad accounts x263 - 2014 Closed lad accounts x160 - 2015
Closed lad accounts x204 & x1 - 2016
Closed lad accounts x177 - 2017 Closed lad accounts x81 - 2018
Closed lad accounts x85 - 2019 Closed lad accounts x9 -2020
(Grand Total Closed lad accounts 1,262) Golden Pig
larry
Old Telecom Guy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That is an interesting document. It is full of statisitics but not a single footnote to say where any of the information is coming from. I am not saying that what they are saying is false but is does leave things wide open to exaggeration. Certainly some, if not most, of the statistical information is anecdotal in nature.

EDIT: Yes I agree the site looks dodgy. It seems obvious they are one of those scam money recovery outfits.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic