SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Car Buying Advice

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Donato
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The girlfriend and I are in the market for a lightly used SUV. Max three years old and somewhere around 15K with less than 30,000 miles (the lower miles the better)

So far we have narrowed the choice down to a Hyundai Santa Fe (my preferred choice), a Toyota Rav4 (the sensible option) and a Subaru Tribeca (girlfriend's preferred choice).

Does anyone have any experience good or bad with the above mentioned models, so far we have looked at Consumer Guides, Edmunds, JD Power and Kelly Blue Book.

Must have requirements are auto, leather and 4wd/awd everything else is negotiable.

Other makes we have looked at and discounted is anything American (Ford, GM etc) Jeep Liberty, Suzuki SL7 (Grand Vitara) and the Honda CRV. Is there anything amongst that lot that is worth a second look? Or anything that i have overlooked?

Also does anyone know where there is a cost per mile indicator for running costs etc.

Lastly Hyundai have a 10yr/100,000 mile warranty-does anyone know of any warranty issues with them?

pony Closed lad accounts - lots

<i><b>Free Pastor Frank!!!</b></i>
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The new Santa Fes and RAV4s (meaning 2006 model or later) are both excellent choices. Two different family members have the newer RAV4s -- one is V6, leather, Limited; the other 4-cylinder, Sport. The amazing thing is that the reported (and actual) gas mileage for the V6 is only about 1-2 mpg less than the 4-cylinder. The V6 (which I've driven a few times) is very very quick (for a small SUV). The 4-cylinder is also peppy, but not as full out quick. Quality is great according to family members.

Have a friend that sells the Santa Fes (among others). He says very reliable and have not had problems with them at dealership (he admits other models have been problematic -- moreso with older models of Hyundais).

I'd go with RAV, but the Santa Fe is probably cheaper.

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've rented the new Santa Fe and this year's RAV with a 4. Both were very well done and not too thirsty but not econoboxes either. I remember the Santa Fe taking more gallons per mile but Hyundai has come a long way. I got a ride in a V6 RAV Limited recently and was stunned at its straight line performance. I've also rented a Liberty this spring and was not impressed and suffered in a Grand Vitara for 57 days. Who is going to drive your new purchase?

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
lunar jim
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Gotta ask, why do you want an SUV? Do you need one, or is it a style choice?
LetsGoYanks
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Do you have a price range? That will help me help you.
Donato
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

To answer the questions, weather conditions call for the use of a 4wd/awd and for the price, i believe i posted that in the OP-somewhere around 15K.

pony Closed lad accounts - lots

<i><b>Free Pastor Frank!!!</b></i>
lunar jim
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Land Rover Discovery? The V6 TDi should tick all the boxes, you don't mention whether you have an age limit though, and where are you, UK, US?

Link

Mod edit: fixed huge link that was blowing out the thread -Ima
lunar jim
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nissan X-Trail is capable:

long link

Only the Nissan has leather and neither are auto (I'd want a manual in a 4x4 if the weather conditions were bad enough to *really* need one) but it sort of shows what's out there.

Shortened link. -luckey
Jay leno
train boi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If they want Western Union as a payment method run like the wind

My MoneyGram form
Version2 of the Moneygram form courtesy of manbiteslion with a 9 digit MTCN

nope please do not worry abt me any more i quit - Barr Jimmy Tan
HAVE YOU EVER TASTED HELL.YOU HAVE A DISEASE AND YOU REFUSE TO CURE IT.THAT IS FREE VISA TO HELL.YOU JUST LIED AND DECEIVE, I HAVE REPORTED YOU TO FBI AND JAY LENO SHOW - Fred W1lly
Free Pastor Frank
bumpy
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would think the RAV4 would be the ticket. I was told by the owner of my company to go car shopping a few months back. (My company car then was a Tahoe, terrible gas milage.) Like you I looked at all of them, Jeep, Ford, Chevy, but was drawn to the RAV4 and the Honda CR-V.

With a four cylinder motor the american cars didn't offer much of an accessory list. You had to get a 6 cylinder to get any good options. (There goes the gas milage.) However, the Toyota, and the Honda with a four cylinder had many options. I ended up with the top of the line Honda, leather, very nice interior, great radio, sun roof, and 6 way power seats. (To mention a few.) For about $ 25,000.

I chose the Honda becase the back hatch open in the upward position; the Toyota opened to the side. I also liked the visability more with the Honda than the Toyota. (Personal preferences I'm sure.)

All in all, they both were great little cars for the buck. Much better than the American autos I'd looked at.

Hope this helps,

Bumpy
lunar jim
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

bumpy wrote:
but was drawn to the RAV4 and the Honda CR-V.

A relative has a CRV and I can't fault it, other than I don't reckon it'll be as good in the bad weather as the X-Trail (having done a few k miles in an X-Trail), IMHO of course. And Top Gear Australia gave the RAV4 a good write up, but relative mentioned above had a RAV4 before the CRV and the RAV4 boot space was pretty crap TBH.
lunar jim
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh yeah, Bumpy you look like a Yank? What's the availability of diesel cars/SUV's like out there? I know you can get e.g. Rams with Cummins engines, but that's the limit of my knowledge there.

I'm guessing they're not as common as here in Europe?
bumpy
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yank... yep right. Smile You can't get diesels in small SUV's or small trucks here. I wish you could. Years ago, during the gas shortage there were all sorts of small cars and trucks with diesels available. The VW Rabbit had a small diesel truck, and even some Japanese and American makes.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic