SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Unbelievable

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
bill mcdill
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Last night I received a 419 scam in the mail, addressed to the RL me! It was a clear check cashing scam. The envelope (which was addressed to me correctly) had no return addy. It contained a letter indicating that I had won a bazillion $ from some lottery. Along with the letter was a very real looking check for $4500. The letter stated that the 4.5K was a down payment on the rest of my winnings but that I owed the US Gov't ~3.8K in taxes and that I should send this via WU or MG to "my" tax attorney (which of course they have set me up with).
Absolutely a typical 419, the kind we all have have hit the autoflush in our email accounts for years. Except, this was a hard copy scam. This had to have cost the lads some cash in printing and postal costs. If I get the time, I will scan the docs and post, but this was all very legit looking and I am sure there will be vics who fall for this. Evil or Very Mad

United Kingdom Nigeria Ghana Ivory Coast Russia United States Canada Switzerland Ukraine Netherlands Saudi Arabia Benin United Nations Australia Austria Ireland Spain Germany Italy France Malaysia Portugal Brazil South Africa Sweden Thailand China Japan Bulgeria
pyramid x4 Mortar x5
Safari J03L Akum14h - Accra to Tamale and back again (co-bait with Kurat)
"So if i may ask,who bangs you?" J03L Akum14h
"I like a chicken. I shall tell about it somehow." S4tty
"In fact, our correspondent is almost arrested by the security agent for bringing in fake information" Barrister W0ngM@rtins
"hey what fuck are u don't reply bul sheet go to heal" Mr. Samuel (a jilted love lad)
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Make sure that the word gets out there (scamwarners) so possible victims can be warned, can you scan the letter?
We must bug a few scammers that they go back to the old days, I like that idea Twisted Evil although it will be harder to fight, but easier to stop if they want to, just burn the snail mail from there when it enters the country Laughing

Last edited by bill2 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Only $3,800 in taxes on a lottery prize? The friend who got one of those said her prize was supposed to be $250,000. By my calculations, the taxes on that would be around $125,000 - US taxes on lottery an gambling winnings is darn near 50%. Whenever somebody wins the Mega-Millions in the state lottery, the news reporters always tell us their actual winnings after taxes is about half, and if they opt for immediate payout (rather than over 20 years), it's only about a quarter.

If more people knew that, they'd look at that letter and check a bit harder.

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
Master of the Ood
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lottery winnings are no different than any other ordinary income, and get taxed at a maximum rate of 35%. $3600 is still way low for taxes for any sort of sizable lottery winnings, but just wanted to point out that the government doesn't get to take half your winnings if anyone legitimately wins a lottery.
Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That modality is certainly not common but it's also not unknown, unfortunately. And yes, a very authentic-looking check in hand is more convincing to a potential victim than a random email. It's a very insidious and dangerous version of the old lottery scam, with fake check scam in the mix. Evil or Very Mad

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

I apologize again that I will lick the dust from your sandals - Shorty

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
mami
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Cash it, go on vacation and tell them you'll pay the taxes after you receive the big sum... Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I remember a guy from college that worked as a bartender. He had a bumper sticker for a burger place spotted by a prize committee. He won a Chevy Corvette. Being a clever college student, he made arrangements to sell the car back to the dealership but had to take ownership and drive it around the block. He had to pay sales taxes and income taxes on MSRP, not what the car was going for and not what he got paid for his used car. He ended up with a 4 cylinder pickup truck free and clear.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
Ghost
419Eater Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Click me

Sand Timer 8/11/07-12/15/08 i am totally a looser -Bruce The trophy machine

Sand Timer 2/25/08-4/10/10 It is going to cost me more this time - Lawrence, EFCC Lad Deck participant

Sand Timer 3/3/08-6/6/10 i know some day you'll send me some real good bucks ok - Byran The Eater Bunny

Sand Timer 3/13/08-3/25/10 i have played my path and now I am waiting for the pay - Wale Wild card
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Where did it come from? Canada I expect?

Omar Safari Edo-Abeche T.W.A.T
Adamu Safari Lagos-Abeche
Emi Safari- S Africa-Egypt-Sudan 10k miles
Chris Safari Jolly Roger Dakar-Niger-BF-Cameroon-Lagos-Mali-Nairobi 9.6k miles

Kevin Pith Helmet 10 Safari Accra- BF x2, Togo x2, Kumasi x3, Bolgatanga, Benin City, Tamale x2 Suitcase 5k miles Tattoo x 6
Kenny Safari Safari Safari 3k miles- dont f*ck me up about the payment plz. i have a policy about that. I JUST GOT A SMALL GOAT TODAY AND ITS IN MY HOUSE NOW. i lobve the goat.
Goat
Ben Safari Safari Safari 2.5k miles

Misc Pith Helmet 20 Pith Helmet 5 Pith Helmet 5 Safari Safari Germany-Holland, Atlanta, Beijing-ChangZhou, London-Glasgow, TIMBUKTU x 2
Owd Git
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I cant believe you pay tax on lottery winnings in the US. That sucks Mad

"You have thought me never to trust any man." Paul Williams
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>
bill mcdill
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Ghost, that looks like the same MO as the letter I got

@ JoJo, I will check but I don't know where it came from, I am in USA

@ Owd Git, What country are you from that you don't pay taxes on lottery winnings?

@ Mami, I am definitely baiting this POS. He's getting the full arsenal of fuzzy WUs and .dll files I can throw his way.

Will try and get some time to scan and post these, but RL is getting in the way.

United Kingdom Nigeria Ghana Ivory Coast Russia United States Canada Switzerland Ukraine Netherlands Saudi Arabia Benin United Nations Australia Austria Ireland Spain Germany Italy France Malaysia Portugal Brazil South Africa Sweden Thailand China Japan Bulgeria
pyramid x4 Mortar x5
"In fact, our correspondent is almost arrested by the security agent for bringing in fake information" Barrister W0ngM@rtins
"hey what fuck are u don't reply bul sheet go to heal" Mr. Samuel (a jilted love lad)
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Owd Git - lottery winnings are income, so we pay income tax on them. We also pay Medicare and Social Security tax on it - and since it is not matched by an employer, the Medicare and Social Security is double what it would be if the money were earned at a job.

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just ran off with the proceeds of a counterfeit cheque for $89,100 (not really, but that's what I told the scammer) and he is not amused, even though I sent him a picture of the girl I was spending the money on.

The best thing would be to mail the Lad and tell him you are a non US resident for tax purposes and thank him for the money - or that you are having the proceeds collected from abroad and won't be eligible for US tax - or tell them that you are paying the money into the account of a registered charity for army vets and won't attract tax.

If enough people hammer the scammer with the same story he'll realise he is throwing his money (postage) away on a scam that doesn't work.

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
Owd Git
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Bill mcdill there is no tax to pay on the proceeds of any form of gambling in the UK, whether from lotteries, horse racing, poker (online or bricks and mortar) financial spread betting or any other source.

The argument goes something like this, if winning punters win and pay income tax then loses will be tax deductible. As the law stands at the moment at any rate.

Edit:As there are more losing punters than winner (depending on how overound any book is, or bookies margins) then there would be a net loss to the government.

"You have thought me never to trust any man." Paul Williams
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>
irishemigrant
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Same in New Zealand,no tax on lottery winnings, horse race betting etc, unless it can be shown that your income is derived solely from betting. Even then, it turns into a murky world of who pays for the times you lose.

Also, no capital gains tax, death duties, inheiritance tax etc.

http://www.scamwarners.com/ For when you want to remember why we bait

Goodbye Mike (Paranoid) Friend, confidant, partner. Till we meet again.
Personal Message From The Axeman
Easter Egg 2012 pony pony <-- Because you have earned them. Wink Goat Goat Golden Goat Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts a few x 13
larry
Old Telecom Guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Same with Canada. No tax on lottery winnings. Unfortunately they tax people so highly on everything else. That's why Canadians buy so many lottery tickets. Its the only way out!! Razz

"Mimi si yule ninayesema ni mimi" - Larry

"sir i have just told you the gospel truth" - D4n Nkw3rr3
Safari = Group safari - Dan Nkw3rr3: Port Harcourt to Abeche (with a layover in Cameroon)
Closed lad accounts x 4 Cellphone x 2 pony
bill mcdill
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Gomer, maybe we can mass bait this POS? Everyone comes up with some phony baloney reason why they can't pay him or starts sending him fuzzy WU's. Maybe we can at least slow him down? Anyone interested please PM me and I'll get you the email addy.

pyramid x4 Mortar x5
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic