SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

USB Flash Drives

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Esq
Poster Boi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey All

I hear alot of rumours etc about usb flash drives failing after x number of thousand/million flashes?

Any thoughts?

Sand Timer = I knew that MHC6 is one of the wonders in the World,and all of us have to exprience it,and understand it - Okunlola O. Thomas FMHC6

I WAS AT THE NOVOTEL ORISHA HOTEL TILL 11 PM THAT DAY AND I WAS TOLD BY THE HOTEL STAFFS THAT I CAN NOT SPEND A NIGHT THERE AND I HAVE TO LEAVE AND WHENT TO THE NIGERIA EMBASSY THERE IN COTONOU TO STAY TILL THE FOLLOWING DAY AND I CALLED YOU THE FOLLOWING DAY AND YOU ASKED ME TO RETURN BACK TO NIGERIA WHICH I DID AND THAT HAS BEING MY WOST DAYS IN LIFE AS WAS EXPOSED TO A FULL TIME DIFFICITIES. - Augus5tine J4m35
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, there are reams and reams of stuff out there that speculate on whether many electrical products are "built to fail" at a certain point... it would explain why my mobile phones only ever seem to last 1 year before wierd things happen.
I'm not sure I believe it really, I guess we'd have had proof by now from a digruntled ex worker from Sony for example.

In any case, surely you don't use your flash drive that often do you? Shocked
They can be pretty cheap to buy, so it wouldn't really bother me if mine failed after a few thousand uses.

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"They made me to understand you are a Fraud Star" - Ikenna.
"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
"I will have you now I am highly reputable businness magnet." - Pam Doh
"Sorry,i do not know you are all that: a destitute and nuts" - Ben Chris
Esq
Poster Boi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i leave it basically permanently plugged in and have it backed up.

however i do store my study stuff on there, so just wondered.

Sand Timer = I knew that MHC6 is one of the wonders in the World,and all of us have to exprience it,and understand it - Okunlola O. Thomas FMHC6

I WAS AT THE NOVOTEL ORISHA HOTEL TILL 11 PM THAT DAY AND I WAS TOLD BY THE HOTEL STAFFS THAT I CAN NOT SPEND A NIGHT THERE AND I HAVE TO LEAVE AND WHENT TO THE NIGERIA EMBASSY THERE IN COTONOU TO STAY TILL THE FOLLOWING DAY AND I CALLED YOU THE FOLLOWING DAY AND YOU ASKED ME TO RETURN BACK TO NIGERIA WHICH I DID AND THAT HAS BEING MY WOST DAYS IN LIFE AS WAS EXPOSED TO A FULL TIME DIFFICITIES. - Augus5tine J4m35
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

First answer from Mr. Google

http://www.chuckstr89134.com/newsltrs/015.htm

I did not read it so no idea if it answers you question.

YOU ARE A CHILD OF SATAN WITH YOUR HUNGRY DIRTY BODY ,TUNDER FIRE YOU BIG HEAD IDIOT !!! HA HA HA HA HA

IS THIS HOW YOU DECIDED TO TREAT US AFTER ALL WE WENT THROUGH?YOU MADE US TRAVELLED TO ABUJA AND INDEBTED US.

"Cursed is your mother that gave birth to a family-disgrace like you. Cursed is your father he could not control his lust for anything under skate"

"hey u crakhead motherf*cking nitwit, from the way u express the cockamamy sh*t that ur dumb brain is made up of it's so obvious that u never really made it past elementary school but anywayz dogs don't have to go to school afterall."

Pith Helmet (Lagos to Abuja)
Netherlands China Canada x2 United Kingdom Spain Ivory Coast Germany

Hello Kitty! <---in lieu of a brownie. TS
Mortar x8
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I bought one a couple of months ago that died two weeks later. And another was faulty from the start. Both replaced by the store without question.
They're cheap enough that I'm not that bothered if they fail after the guarantee period.
The data on them is more important as far as I'm concerned, so it's backed up.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've had only 1 die on me so far, but being a Corsair, it was lifetime guarantee so they replaced it for free. I also back it up on my desktop so I was only inconvenienced for time. Keep in mind as advanced regular desktop hard drives are, they will not last forever either. Just like anything pc, I would stick with quality name brand units.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
Havoc
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The drive WILL eventually fail, all flash memory technology have a limited amount of write/erase cycles, this is a result of how they are built. Typically each "cell" in your flash chip can be rewritten about 100,000 to 1,000,000 times. However, most file systems in use today on these chips doesn't distribute the write operations evenly across the chip, so typically specific parts of the chip get chowed down early, and then the entire memory chip is basically dead.

In high-end devices you typically use file systems with build-in wear leveling, such as JFFS1/2 or CramFS. These distribute the write operations evenly, and thus greatly prolongs flash life. This is used in devices such as routers and network cameras.

However, for your typical USB flash drive, there are alot of other hazards, such as physical stress, liquids and electrostatic discharge or crappy USB hosts. If you want something reliable I'd guess you should buy an industrial-grade device. Industrial computers typically run from Compact Flash cards with this rating. But they are prohibitively expensive.

On top of this, most semiconductor manufacturing typically yields several different levels of quality on the end products. These are rated and ends up as different products based on their performance. The difference between a Nvidia Geforce 8800 and a 8800GT is the number of pipelines and clock speed. Those devices that have faulty pipelines have those disabled, and ends up as a regular Geforce, while those with all pipelines intact ends up as the premium GT ones. I suspect the flash memory manufacturers does something similar, and those low-cost consumer-grade flash drives probably doesn't end up with top-of-the-line devices.
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I use 16 G compact flash cards with wear leveling. Its too cool as I can pull out even deleted files. The wear leveling firmware controls the processor in USB flash drives by Corsair. I have no idea what the other manufacturers are doing.
I got a new 2 G. pen USB flashdrive on Saturday. The pen unscrews to access the USB connector. Its also has a video camera and microphone hidden under the pen clip. Here is a link to someone's Youtube taken with it. It date and time stamps all video and is of course a USB flashdrive.

http://www.youtube.com/user/re500bullet

I will use it the next time I am at the airport looking at a scammer holding up a sign asking for Phil MyKrakin. What is amazing is Moore's Law in action with USB flash drives. My rechargeable USB flashdrive with travel charger, USB extension, nice pen, case and built in camcorder was delivered to the door for $22.00 US.

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic