SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Any advice on whether this is the same guyman?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Phoebe
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Lad who was trying to scam me had a Nigerian IP address. When I googled that ip I found a link to a (seemingly genuine) message on a Nigerian Church guestbook.

So I googled the name assoicated with that link and found a facebook of a man who claimed to be in Romania. Also there were dating site links to this name that were all based in Romania.

So can it be the same person do you think?

From the pictures, I'd say this person definately was in Romania when they were taken but they look more like holiday snaps than somewhere he was living.

I don't want to play around with this person till I know he is the same person and not an ITP who just shares the same name.

The 'Romanian' one looks Nigerian and has pictures of himself and family and friends that were clearly taken in Nigeria.

I'm really hoping it's the same one but I've confused myself now.

Any ideas?
Very Happy
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Daisy, it's hard for us to tell without concrete evidence. Could you post the links (obfuscate if you think it wise) so we can check things out for ourselves? Question

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
Phoebe
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Titania Very Happy

Good thinking. It might take me some time though as I'm on my new laptop and struggling with it a bit. My desktop pc isn't working at the moment.

It just ocurred to me that maybe the A***** Y**** that had the same ip address as the original scammer might just have been using the same pc in the same cafe when he sent that mssg.

I think he's a scammer himself too though because of his links on all the dating websites. I'll pm you some details! Very Happy
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If the IP# is in Nigeria and the church is in Nigeria could be the same guy.
And of course he can have different profiles all over the world with different pictures, no problem, so do I Wink
Easiest, drop the Romania guy an email with a question over the dating site he is on and check his IP#. The rest is guessing and if he is a ITP, no harm done.

419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's a thought Bill!

I know the lad in Romania is actually really there (or was) because he's got 28 pictures of himself on the site! Laughing You can tell by the signs around him. He still looks like he's on holiday rather than living there though.

But he's wearing the same outfit as he is for his facebook profile.

I think I'll send him an email and hopefully he'll get back to me and I can check the ip address. Good advice as always Bill! Very Happy

edit: Unfortunately there is no email link so any messages would have to go through the site - which is Romanian and a bit confusing plus it won't seem to let me register on it.

Anyway I've sent an email to the email address linked with the guestbook post so hopefully that might get a response! Smile
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Do like they do, drop a message that he can contact you at [email protected] your one time only addy Wink He'll be there when it's a lad. Just a simple Hi in the subject and nothing for the rest will even make him send the same message back when it's a lad, that's all you need an IP#

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Daisy,

Another check you can make is to use tineye to look for some of the photos, and see if they are being used (or stolen from) somewhere else.

419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I really hope it's the same Lad. The trouble is that for all I know the one who wrote the guestbook post could simply have used the same internet cafe as my Lad.

It was someone from Scam Warners who warned my lads victim but since my lad thinks it was me, he won't play with me anymore and I really want him back! Wink

And I really want this particular lad (we've got history together!) another scammer would be ok but after him throwing it in my face that he intended to still scam his victim (who refused to believe he was being scammed) then I don't want him to get away till I've kicked his arse a bit!

I just hate that I let his victim down. I was supposed to convince the lad that his victim was a baiter (so he'd drop him) but I failed to convince him so the victim is probably still being scammed as I type.

I might have failed to protect the victim, but I hope I can still cause some inconvenience to that particular scammer. Hopefully...

edit: thanks Dorothy, I'll try that too. I'm sure the pictures are genuine as there are over 30 of them and they are all over the net with pictures of his family and friends on various social networking sites all linked to the same name. It would seem a bit odd to me that all these people who know him in real life wouldn't know that he was using a fake name but then again every time I learn something new here I'm surprised to find that everyone else already knew it! Lol, I'm always the last to know! Laughing
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Another thing you can do since you are trying to find your original lad.

Don't limit your googling--search anything else you have on him, not only phrases in his initial letter, but also any unusual phrases or unique misspellings in his later emails (before he went off script). I am assuming you have already googled any emails or phone numbers you have for him, as well as the name he used with you.

If the address he used with you is still active, ASEM him from a new address, or reply to his original scam (or anything new you can find). Try an ASEM format like Gomer Pyle's, and see if you can hit him from another angle.

It's too bad urgentmessage appears to be down or you might have another avenue.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Daisy, you should be aware that many real people post many photos of themselves on the internet, all a scammer needs to do is find and steal them.

It is also possible that the person in the pictures was a previous victim who had provided his pictures.

Without knowing exactly what information you have it is hard to say exactly what you should but you have some good advice above already so give those things a go first

Got info on a scam vic? PM a mod Recieved a scam warning? Say "thank you, I am a baiter"
Ruin your pets day, post their details at scamwarners
Nurse Nastys Audi TT <- I run like a girl
Mortar x12 Closed lad accounts ? not enough Twisted Evil
Goat Goat <- this one belongs to Ralph.
Phoebe
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have reasons to believe that the person in the pictures is using his genuine, real name, but sadly the only link that the person in the pictures has to my lad is that they have used the same ip address to post things online or send me emails.

For all I know they could be 2 different people who have just used the same computer at some point. The guy in the pictures seems to be a bit 'dodgy' (registered with dating websites with stereotypical scamming profiles) but I have no way of knowing if he is my lad or if they've just used the same cyber cafe in Nigeria.

Unless I can link that particular name with my lad then I can't be sure it's the same person. Sad
Dorothy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It may be that the person in the pics is an ITP, and a scammer has made use of them to create a scamming identity for the dating sites. One thing about society today is that in some ways people are focused on security to the point of paranoid, but then don't think twice about posting dozens of photos of themselves, their families, and their friends on the internet for the world to see. So the pics may have come from a personal facebook, myspace, or family webpage, and the scammer pulled the whole collection to create a more believable character.

Or as you said, if the IP traces to a cafe, it could be two scammers operating out of the same place.

419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've finally managed to get back into contact with my lad. I've tried several times over the last couple of weeks but he has ignored every attempt (all from different email addresses).

I finally got a response from him just 20 minutes after I sent the email (it was kind of a last ditch attempt) but it finally worked. And all I did was copy and paste an email I found here and send it to him. I can't find the original post to thank the OP but I will include the original email that I sent, plus his response as a picture (out of paranoia that a search engine might pick it up).

I feel like I've turned a corner tonight. I really thought that I'd lost him and it seems he's willing to talk to me now and he even admits that he's a scammer.

I've waited weeks for this. I'll have to think carefully what to do next. I don't want to lose him now. This has taken me weeks of effort that were to no avail and finally I've got him back in contact. Hmmmm.... I wonder where I should go from here...? I tried so hard, for weeks to get back in touch with him and it didn't work. In the end, all it took was a copy and paste email from 419eter and I got a response in about 20 minutes!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic