SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Just how many WU outlets are there.

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
atj
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I had to be in London on business during the last couple of months, I could not help noticing the proliferation of WU outlets in the Hounslow/Slough areas.
Having worked in the area for over thirty years before retiring I am sure there were nothing like as many as little as 6 years ago! Now nearly every newsagent/internet cafe/Greasy spoon/Estate agents/etc. are sporting WU signage, to a lesser extent there is Moneygram as well. I counted six outlets in just one small shopping parade.

Question is, could some of them be part of the Lads network?
It would not be too hard for a Lad´s receiver who has a newspaper shop to apply for an agency.

On the other hand maybe I am getting paranoid!!!!
Doodle Bug
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Same for the East End of London

Large numbers of Migrants in the area,sending money home maybe

Who is this person Mickey Mouse???
trying to dercieve hoorable men like me. You are stupid man ok.
scambuster3
Elite Baiter

Location: South East tip of Australia Down under, where a Dingo ate my Lads WU slip

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Beleive it or not, but i just logged onto one of my email accts
and at the top was an advert for WU, saying

"Transfer Money to Friends & Family 310,000 Agent Locations Worldwide"

Bank accounts sent to mysterious Alan = 477

Winner of Inspector Gadget 2009 fake checks contest, thanks IG
Winner of Inspector Gadget 2008 Bank account contest, thanks IG

"You are going to scam your passport page "
"CENTRAL BANK OF NIGER1A has scanned this email for viruses, vandals and malicious content."
"The Central Bank of Nigerian will put you in jail for life. You must return that money or you will face a brutal consequences."
"I KNOW U ARE JUST A TIME WASTER AND A BULL SHITTER."
"Hope you are not a joker because I don't waste my time and job on jokers"
"Time wasters are not authorized to contact us"
Closed lad accounts
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There are thousands just in Greater London, you are right that every shop seems to be an agent these days. Just 5 years ago, WU agents were usually just set up in cheque cashing shops or similar, or even in dedicated offices.
Even my local off licence is now a WU agent on the side.

It depends on the country though, just to give you an idea, there are only 3 agents in Johannesburg.

There's not really a great deal of point in a lad having a UK WU agent "onside". But I hear they are sometimes friendly (By friendly, read "bribing") with their local WU agents in Africa, usually to avoid producing ID.

Doodle Bug wrote:
Same for the East End of London.... Large numbers of Migrants in the area,sending money home maybe

I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm out west, and most agents seem to cater to the large number of Polish / other Eastern Euro immigrants in the area who need to send money home.

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"They made me to understand you are a Fraud Star" - Ikenna.
"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
"I will have you now I am highly reputable businness magnet." - Pam Doh
"Sorry,i do not know you are all that: a destitute and nuts" - Ben Chris
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's much the same here in the US, especially in the Southwest. Many of my co-workers sent money back to their homelands (usually Mexico) from every paycheck.

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
Koffi T or Me
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I could swear there were 310,000 WU offices in Abidjan alone...
firehouse5
Palm Wino Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

same here as Mugatu - in my neighbourhood there are two very dodgy newsagents now offering WU services.

It's perfect for baiting though - lad asks me to send WU, I go to my local WU office and find that it's a run-down corner shop selling booze, fags and condoms. No way do I trust them to handle my business transaction, they can barely manage to give me the right change when I buy my cheap bottle of booze and top-shelf magazine. How about we do the deal through a bank transfer instead.

anyway, I'm sure some of these will turn out to be shady. I'm not sure what kind of vetting new WU agents go through, but there are surely numerous possibilities of misuse.

TV StarMortar dozens Closed lad accounts Not as many piggies as you.
The details you sent do not match, check your records and reply immediate. I have forced to wait in office for two hours with out eating
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic