SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Questions/need help

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
parrot
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I tried to do a whois on the site and the response back was the site is not configured correctly.

I then tried just the domain name and got the same message back.

Also, is there a difference between a fake bank and a phishing site??

Parrot

Mod edit: split from posting guidelines sticky. -Ima
Akai Ryu
Chuck Norris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Try posting it here and we'll see if we can get it sorted.

The difference between phishing and fake banks can be seen on a sticky around here made by SlayerFaith, but I will do a short explanation. In short, a fake bank is used to bolster an advance fee fraud scam. What happens is that the victim is given a username and password to log into the fake site, and they will see the money that was supposedly deposited into an account the lad said he set up for them at that bank (of course, none of it is real). A phishing site is looking to steal legitimate account information from people--bank account numbers, atm/debit card information, etc. Phishing sites come in a couple of forms: usually they are hacked legitimate websites, and the hacker sets up a subdirectory where the content for the phishing page is located. Sometimes, however, the scammer will set up a domain for the purposes of phishing as well.

In your case, you got the latter of the two--a domain set up for the purposes of phishing. It should probably be reported to the bank (which it looks like you've already done), and then you may want to report it to the host of the site (Performance Systems International in this case) and the site's registrar (Domainsite).

IMO, these don't warrant databasing as they're not dealing with advance-fee fraud, but I would say they do warrant a flag icon, since you are sending a report to get a scammer's domain killed.

aa419.org --dead a fake site today.

No, Akai, you're a wonderful bitch. --Reaper
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Akai, I think this is the site Parrot is talking about: http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150801

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
Akai Ryu
Chuck Norris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yep, I was right then. Thumbs up Looks like a domain that was set up (and just set up today, at that) for the purposes of phishing.

aa419.org --dead a fake site today.

No, Akai, you're a wonderful bitch. --Reaper
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic