SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Google has not been my friend. *Sorted*

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can anyone find me a credible source defining the meaning of the phrase "pass the bar". As in a person obtaining the privilege to argue before the court.

I have a bet with a friend at work, but I can not find a good reference source to back up my definition. As I understand it, the etymology of the phrase is the ability of someone who has earned their law degree, and has passed the bar exam, to physically walk through the gate that separates the inner courtroom from the gallery and thereby "passing the bar".

All I am finding with the Google is a thousand sites that want to sell me information on how to pass the bar exam.

Last edited by Pastor Frank on Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admission_to_the_bar agrees with you.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
whole body of lawyers, the legal profession," 1559, a sense which derives ultimately from the railing that separated benchers from the hall in the Inns of Court. Students who had attained a certain standing were "called" to it to take part in the important exercises of the house. After c.1600, however, this was popularly assumed to mean the bar in a courtroom, which was the wooden railing marking off the area around the judge's seat, where prisoners stood for arraignment and where a barrister (q.v.) stood to plead. As the place where the business of court was done, bar in this sense had become synonymous with "court" by c.1330.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=b&p=2

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks a ton! I kept searching using "passing" instead of "admission" to the bar.

That was exactly what I was looking for, thanks again.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

the bar
The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition

the bar originally, the rail that enclosed the judge in a court; hence, a court or a system of courts. The persons qualified and authorized to conduct the trial of cases are also known collectively as "the bar." From late medieval times in England the Inns of Court acted as training schools for men who were to plead causes in the courts, and when a student was judged to be trained in competence, he was "called to the bar" of the Inn; automatically he was then judged competent to plead at the bar of the courts. Modern bar associations, through which the legal profession regulates itself, derive from the Inns of Court. Attorneys must be admitted to the bar before they can practice law in the United States. The requirements for admission vary among the states, but generally an applicant must be of good moral character, have completed a stated course of study at a law school, and have passed a bar examination. The last two requirements were once satisfied by clerking and "reading law" with a practicing attorney. A lawyer can be prohibited from practicing law (disbarred) for conduct impeding justice, criminal acts involving moral turpitude, or unethical professional conduct. The first state to allow women admission to the bar was Iowa (1869), and Great Britain admitted women to law practice in 1919. There are 180 American Bar Association-approved law schools in the United States, the oldest being Harvard Law School, founded in 1817.

Author not available, BAR, THE., The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition 2008

** ACCOUNT CLOSED **

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The OED gives me this:

The barrier or wooden rail marking off the immediate precinct of the judge's seat, at which prisoners are stationed for arraignment, trial, or sentence. . . . This barrier, as the place at which all the business of the court was transacted, soon became synonymous with: Court; esp. in phr. at (the) bar: in court, in open court. trial at bar: a trial before the full court in which the action or indictment is brought; in England, the Queen's Bench Division.
And
A barrier or partition separating the seats of the benchers or readers from the rest of the hall, to which students, after they had attained a certain standing, were ‘called’ from the body of the hall, for the purpose of taking a principal part in the mootings or exercises of the house. Obs. See BARRISTER..

Edit: Oops -- these other responses appeared in the time it took me to hit paste and send. You people are fast!
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks again gang, that is precisely the ammo I needed to win the bet. (It was a small wager, a beer, but the satisfaction of beating this know-it-all is priceless.)

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

LOL_sign
beers!

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just remember when collecting the bet, don't pass the bar, walk into it Wink

YOU ARE A CHILD OF SATAN WITH YOUR HUNGRY DIRTY BODY ,TUNDER FIRE YOU BIG HEAD IDIOT !!! HA HA HA HA HA

IS THIS HOW YOU DECIDED TO TREAT US AFTER ALL WE WENT THROUGH?YOU MADE US TRAVELLED TO ABUJA AND INDEBTED US.

"Cursed is your mother that gave birth to a family-disgrace like you. Cursed is your father he could not control his lust for anything under skate"

"hey u crakhead motherf*cking nitwit, from the way u express the cockamamy sh*t that ur dumb brain is made up of it's so obvious that u never really made it past elementary school but anywayz dogs don't have to go to school afterall."

Pith Helmet (Lagos to Abuja)
Netherlands China Canada x2 United Kingdom Spain Ivory Coast Germany

Hello Kitty! <---in lieu of a brownie. TS
Mortar x8
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic