SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Windows Backup help

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay a couple of questions... I just bought a new USB external hard drive for wifeys computer. To be used for backup. I tried the software that came with it, total crap. So now I have several gig (like 40) of data on this HD that I want to delete. It will take a couple hours apparently to just hit delete and let windows move it to the recycle bin.

1. how can I delete without it moving to recycle? Just make it go away stupid windows.

2. What is the best (free) backup software I can use?

thanks for any help you can give Smile

YOU ARE A CHILD OF SATAN WITH YOUR HUNGRY DIRTY BODY ,TUNDER FIRE YOU BIG HEAD IDIOT !!! HA HA HA HA HA

IS THIS HOW YOU DECIDED TO TREAT US AFTER ALL WE WENT THROUGH?YOU MADE US TRAVELLED TO ABUJA AND INDEBTED US.

"Cursed is your mother that gave birth to a family-disgrace like you. Cursed is your father he could not control his lust for anything under skate"

"hey u crakhead motherf*cking nitwit, from the way u express the cockamamy sh*t that ur dumb brain is made up of it's so obvious that u never really made it past elementary school but anywayz dogs don't have to go to school afterall."

Pith Helmet (Lagos to Abuja)
Netherlands China Canada x2 United Kingdom Spain Ivory Coast Germany

Hello Kitty! <---in lieu of a brownie. TS
Mortar x8
Newdonym
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If you don't want any of the data on the HDD, then reformat it. That should be much quicker.

What do you want to back up, if it's just a few folders (I.E. Work, pictures, etc) then you might want to use a .bat file see http://www.instructables.com/id/Watch-your-back-up!/. This should utilise robocopy, it works well for me, but i'm not sure if it will be what you are after. It autoruns when you plug the drive in.

Last edited by Newdonym on Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:24 am; edited 4 times in total
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Man wrote:

2. What is the best (free) backup software I can use?

I have had great luck with the open source, and free, SelfImage.

http://selfimage.excelcia.org/

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If i recall correctly if u hold down the SHIFT key then right click the file and click delete it wont go to the recycle bin

as someone said best just to format the drive depending on the size of it

Are you going to do regular structured backups?

or just copying everything every now and again

if it is the latter why not just select everything then right click and click copy then poaste it in the drive

wokabo
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If you want to permanently delete stuff without it going to the waste bin first, press the shift key while doing the delete action. Works on files, but also in Outlook for example. Make sure you are sure you want to do this, because it's (sort of) gone for ever and instantly frees up the disk space (still recoverable with undelete tools, but that's another story).

XP also comes with its own backup software (start - all programs - accessories - system tools - backup) that is maybe not the best tool, but it does the job. When starting up, cancel the wizard (go to advanced mode), choose what you want to back up, and set the external drive path as the backup media. You can give consecutive backups different names (include the date in the name) if you want to keep some history.

Fight My Brute
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks guys.

Formating the HDD is what I did. I did not care about the data on it. Windows Vista even has a "quick format" option and it took about 30 seconds to format a 160 GB hard drive.

Vistas back up software is "fair". I want to back up the entire drive so that if the main drive fails I can install a new working drive and then just restore the backup to be exactly where I was before without having to reinstall all my software.

The HDD is a bit larger than the drive in the computer and Vista does a great job of compressing the data, so I should be able to have several backup sets on the drive.

I am not sure how it was speed wise, but Vista took about 3 hours to back up 40GB of data. This is over a USB 2.0 connection.

YOU ARE A CHILD OF SATAN WITH YOUR HUNGRY DIRTY BODY ,TUNDER FIRE YOU BIG HEAD IDIOT !!! HA HA HA HA HA

IS THIS HOW YOU DECIDED TO TREAT US AFTER ALL WE WENT THROUGH?YOU MADE US TRAVELLED TO ABUJA AND INDEBTED US.

"Cursed is your mother that gave birth to a family-disgrace like you. Cursed is your father he could not control his lust for anything under skate"

"hey u crakhead motherf*cking nitwit, from the way u express the cockamamy sh*t that ur dumb brain is made up of it's so obvious that u never really made it past elementary school but anywayz dogs don't have to go to school afterall."

Mortar x8
Dutch
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I Can't test it right now, but I don't think deleting files on an external drive puts anything in in the windows bin? With network drives I know this for a fact, not too sure about USB drives though...

SpainNigeriaNetherlandsCanadaSouth AfricaUnited KingdomAustraliaIvory CoastGhanaTogoUkraineIrelandHong KongFranceSenegalGermanyBeninTurks and CaicosIndonesiaPortugalBurkina FasoMalaysiacameroonJapanGambiaSierra LeoneKenya deadified fake websites) x 374
Mortar x11 Closed lad accountsx a couple Cellphone pony Easter Egg Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Golden Goat
Yes we can! (with a bit of help)
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dutch:

yes, it puts it in the bin. Since I did not want the data on there I simply did a quick format. Much faster.

Currently I just ran Vista's backup program and have it scheduled to just run every sunday night. It takes several hours, but I suspect the subsequent backups will be faster since much of the stuff on the HD is static.

Either way since it will just run automatically overnight I don't care if it takes a few hours.

Thanks all for your help.

Mortar x8
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic