SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Split from Radio show thread: Ethics of the Chad Bait

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Ralph Wiggum
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So do you hold to the theory that a thousand guilty should be spared to protect one innocent? Just curious.

Fake Checks out of circulation - 52K (so far)
<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>
"The law of cama is still in exixtence and I know what the consequences of your action will be"-Rimi
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The difference between vigilantism and what I'm doing is that a vigilante takes action to carry out a punishment that he or she sees fit, despite the law taking action.

If someone steals next to me in the store, and I somehow deceive them and send them on a safari to punish them, I am a vigilante because I tried to institute my own justice, rather than let the laws that are in place handle it.

If I call the police, who do not show up, so choose to do a song and dance to occupy the thief or pretend to drop some money on the ground outside of the store to have him switch targets for his theft, I am not a vigilante. This distraction is scambaiting. We simply move the "dropped money" further and further away.

I am letting the laws that are in place take care of what they can. I am not doing anything despite them. I am simply distracting a criminal from his original target.

You can call yourself a vigilante if you want, but I am not one.

Edit: spelling mistake

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011

Last edited by Ima Baeder on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^
Quote:
choose to do a song and dance to occupy the thief

Now there's something I'd pay to see. Laughing

Scambaiting renegade on the fringes of internet society.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ima Baeder wrote:
We simply move the "dropped money" further and further away.

That is so well put.

Quote:
choose to do a song and dance to occupy the thief

Quote:
drop some money on the ground

What kind of dance is this? And where is this money falling from?

Omar Safari Edo-Abeche T.W.A.T
Adamu Safari Lagos-Abeche
Emi Safari- S Africa-Egypt-Sudan 10k miles
Chris Safari Jolly Roger Dakar-Niger-BF-Cameroon-Lagos-Mali-Nairobi 9.6k miles

Kevin Pith Helmet 10 Safari Accra- BF x2, Togo x2, Kumasi x3, Bolgatanga, Benin City, Tamale x2 Suitcase 5k miles Tattoo x 6
Kenny Safari Safari Safari 3k miles- dont f*ck me up about the payment plz. i have a policy about that. I JUST GOT A SMALL GOAT TODAY AND ITS IN MY HOUSE NOW. i lobve the goat.
Goat
Ben Safari Safari Safari 2.5k miles

Misc Pith Helmet 20 Pith Helmet 5 Pith Helmet 5 Safari Safari Germany-Holland, Atlanta, Beijing-ChangZhou, London-Glasgow, TIMBUKTU x 2
Ralph Wiggum
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am not calling myself a vigilante by any means, I consider myself a concerned and socially responsible citizen who is doing what he can to try to save someone from the same fate he went through.

"The law of cama is still in exixtence and I know what the consequences of your action will be"-Rimi
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Rodus and Jojo: Laughing

Jojo, I used or in between those two phrases, not and. Wink

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
capricio
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ima: I'm not a lawyer or anything close to it. But if you applied your logic and used deception on a person like that in the US/UK and were caught at it, you could likely face prosecution or at a minimum, a civil lawsuit that you would lose. The justice system would frown upon it, and you would have a devil of a time trying to convince them that you need to do their job for them. The fact that a lad instigates the dialog only makes the issue murky at best, from a legal standpoint.

While you're not executing a punishment, per se, like hanging or imprisonment, you are executing a deception that if executed upon anyone but a lad would be considered unethical or criminal. In that sense, the deception is a de facto punishment.

It's vigilantism, and I'm okay with it, and calling it for what it is. It just seems silly to me to be in denial about it.

To anyone else:
Now, for the love of God... I'm not saying vigilantism is wrong in certain circumstances. I'm not saying lads don't deserve it, they DO! So please don't cut and paste all the evils that lads do, I really don't need convincing. Very Happy
Tuco
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ralph Wiggum wrote:
In the U.S., bodies such as the A.C.L.U. and other corrupt law firms have used their talents to castrate law enforcement and the judicial system, favoring the criminal, all in the name of their paycheck. It has gone way past "fair trial" and "due process".

You are right on, Ralph. IMHO "due process" has been improperly elevated from being the "means" to rather also being the "end". But only justice itself, IMO should be high and lofty enough to be the "end".

"Due process" is the best means but is now diminishing as the available means.

BTW Ralph, I like your statement about your location.

"Thanks for giving me a nauthy number that preys unit like a hungry lion." - Alise Kar1m
"I have called you more than 20 times but non of the calls went through." - Williams C0ker
"I've said in my previous mail that I do not understand English." - Cabinet Bad0u
"PLEASE MY CHAIRMAN, I AM NOT GREEDY, I LIKE TO WORK WITH YOU, I HAVE LOST MANY OF MY JOBS , PLS PLS PLS, I WILL WORK HARD WITH U." - Dr. Lui$ James
"There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend."
Closed lad accounts x8 (Thanks Corona)
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Vigilantism is disregarding the existing laws, taking law into your own hands and instituting your own justice. I am not a vigilante and will appreciate you keeping the label to yourself. Wink

Regarding your scenario where I would be prosecuted, I'm quite sure the thief would be prosectued first, therefore I would take no action to have to distract him.

I'm really done debating this point. As I said before, you are more than welcome to call yourself a vigilante.

Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
if executed upon anyone but a lad would be considered unethical or criminal.

Yes, but we don't (except slightly but he doesn't count).
If Ima was to do a dance routine to distract a criminal untill the old bill turned up then I'm pretty sure she wouldn't get into trouble.
We tell lies to criminals and fair enough you are ok with lads suffering (and good for you!) but I still don't buy the vigilante line, I'd look crap in a leather vest and bandanna for starters.

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
capricio
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

...and you're more than welcome to continue in denial. Very Happy

So, we agree to disagree.
luckey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^I'm not sure I get your point, in regards to the examples Ima gave. Let's try another non-419 example.

Let's say you are 100% certain that the person who just rang your door bell has been working the neighborhood to collect money for a false charity. You call the police, but they tell you they can't do anything about it because the person has diplomatic immunity (or some other unsatisfying answer). So you decide to keep them busy by talking to them for a few hours about all the work you did for the peace corps some years ago (all lies, of course). During the conversation, you work in that you are involved with several philanthropic groups and you can probably get an audience, but it will require that a number of forms get filled out, and they may need to make a trip to see the head of the organization in Paraguay.

Would that make you a vigilante?

Ralph Wiggum
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Tuco-

Why thank you. I think it's appropriate. Wink

GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The amusing thing is that people should think you are obliged to treat criminals in accordance with some ethical framework that is designed with the sole purpose of keeping the scammer safe from harm or misfortune.

Presumably, for hypothetical purposes only, those who feel we are doing something wrong would feel more sympathy towards our work if we scammed them for money, which is, of course, forbidden.

If not, then I would ask why not.

If you don't see what's coming, I advise you not to answer.Very Happy

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
...and you're more than welcome to continue in denial.

So, we agree to disagree.

The difference is that you insist upon putting the label on me, while I simply disagree with your assessment.

Luckey: Good illustration.

capricio
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Luckey,

Applying this definition supplied by Ima earlier:

Quote:
A vigilante is a person who ignores due process of law and enacts his own form of justice when they deem the response of the authorities to be insufficient.

...I would say "yes". I think others are just afraid of the label because of the negative connotations surrounding it based on historic incidents and books we had to read in high school like The Oxbow Incident, spaghetti western movies, etc. But taken literally, it doesn't have to be negative. Vigilantes can be heroic or misguided, depending on the context, the quality of the person, and circumstances they operate in.

Ima: I think we just disagree about what the label means. I still think it applies, you don't. ...moving on.

I really do enjoy discussions like this, but it's hard when people pile on and get angry or take things personally. I'm really just trying to spur some honest intellectual debate. If that counts as trolling, then I guess I'm guilty.

EDIT: Forgot "the"
luckey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think the debatable portion of that definition is "form of justice". I would see it more as a form of distraction, or perhaps prevention (preventing others from being scammed). Sure, the scammer may suffer in the process, and many may see that suffering as just, but for people like Ima and me, since that isn't our primary motive, we can claim immunity from being branded "vigilantes" or "sadists", IMO.

Edit:
Quote:
I'm really just trying to spur some honest intellectual debate. If that counts as trolling, then I guess I'm guilty.
I think this discussion has been quite civil. If you want to troll here, you're going to have to work a little harder than that. Wink

Honest intellectual debates are welcome here. Forgive us if some of us are weary from having them too regularly.

Last edited by luckey on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ralph Wiggum
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry about it seeming like piling on, but if you went to a rice-growing forum populated with rice farmers and started to bring up how it strips the land of nutrients, I'm sure that a few of the farmers might take the same side against you. Wink

capricio
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Luckey

Okay fair enough. I still believe that deceiving someone is a form of punishment. Leading scammers around the world is a punitive "form of justice", IMHO.

@ Ralph

Again, its fine for people to disagree and leave it at that. There's really no need to argue until one side surrenders or treat them as stupid unless they agree with the concensus. Not saying you did that to me, but some members are really quick to fly off the handle sometimes and read into things way too much.

I'm curious why everyone is anxious to avoid the vigilante label... is being a vigilante an inherently bad thing in your minds? Or are you all just upset by the "inaccuracy" of it?

Edit: @ Jojo

Do you embrace or deny the "label" of vigilante? Very Happy
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

capricio wrote:
Leading scammers around the world is a punitive "form of justice", IMHO.

Others would call it a "holiday", IMHO Laughing

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@capricio, you aren't a journo are you? You seem very determined to get people to commit to your labelling one way or another.

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

luckey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

capricio wrote:
@ Luckey

Okay fair enough. I still believe that deceiving someone is a form of punishment.

My parents lied to me about the tooth fairy. What were they punishing me for? Wink

Quote:
Leading scammers around the world is a punitive "form of justice", IMHO.

I don't disagree with that for any imaginable case. For example, sending a lad to Scam Patroller's neighborhood was simply cruel and unusual punishment: no two ways about it! I do think your statement is an oversimplification though.

Quote:
There's really no need to argue until one side surrenders or treat them as stupid unless they agree with the concensus. Not saying you did that to me, but some members are really quick to fly off the handle sometimes and read into things way too much.

I think your taking this a little too personally. Lots of people here feel strongly about what they do here, and have been at it for quite a while. I can assure you this thread is not the first time motives and ethics have been considered by any of us. It's kind of like how the bus driver gets quickly irritated with you if you don't give him exact change, even if it's your first time on the bus.

Quote:
I'm curious why everyone is anxious to avoid the vigilante label... is being a vigilante an inherently bad thing in your minds? Or are you all just upset by the "inaccuracy" of it?

I'll speak for myself. I really think it would be grandiose for me to describe myself that way, based on my anti-scam activities. I do resent the "hard-nose maverick" imagery it tends to conjure. I also don't think it's accurate.

capricio
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Rodus

Nope, just a bored network engineer. Very Happy

I just find it ironic that I find the whole theme of this place to be the "V-word", yet it is almost never mentioned. Also some members seem determined to avoid it like the plague. As I've said earlier, I personally think vigilantism is fine under the right circumstances and applied with some ethics. But others seem to find the term outright offensive and completely inapplicable for what goes on here. ...kind of an interesting point of debate, for me anyways.

Edit: @ Luckey

Yes I can understand people get bored or annoyed with these threads, but unlike the bus driver's passengers, they are easy to ignore or just move on to something more interesting. If people don't like them, they don't have to get involved, especially if they feel like they are repeating themselves. But inevitably, they feel like some misinformation has to be challenged, so they feel obligated to enter the discussion upset, right off the bat.

Last edited by capricio on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jayhawk
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe, it's just me, but this is getting rather silly.

The word "vigilante" is described by merriam-webster as follows:

Quote:
: a member of a volunteer committee organized to suppress and punish crime summarily (as when the processes of law are viewed as inadequate) ; broadly : a self-appointed doer of justice

Under that definition I guess many of us could qualify as vigilante's. But the definition really doesn't matter. The word "ignorant" is describe as:

Quote:
lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified

However, through the years the word "ignorant" has taken on a great meaning. To call someone "ignorant" is to insult them, and the word itself simply means lacking knowledge in a certain area. There are lots of things I am ignorant about.

The same twisted meaning applies to the word "vigilante." If you want to stick to the basic definition, well, I guess we could be considered vigilantes. However the image of a vigilante is one of of a crowd in the old west stealing a man from jail and stringing him up in the middle of the night with no trial. That's not what we are at all.

Games of semantics are being played here, and I'm not sure I understand why. We do what we do. You can call it "throatwarblermangrove" and it ain't gonna change what it is. I really don't see the purpose of slapping a label on it.

Yes pets are allowed as far as you will occupy the apartment alone, you can release the Kraken.

i will kill you even if it take me to go to jail i will do that because i hate you with all my life....
assisin killer to Feathers McGraw
PLEASE I BEG YOU TO LET ME KNOW THAT PIGGIES OF YOURS PLEASE... assisin killer to Feathers again
Vcamera x5 Safari Team Humphere
Long Live Silver Peak Orphanage! - Loan Lad Langwenya Andile
GomerPyle
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scammers steal money I don't - Scammers lie - I lie

The difference is I don't steal and I lie better than them.

They should find a job.

It's a verbal quadratic equation

Quad Erat Demonstrandum

Pith Helmet - Frank - Lagos to Cotonou - co-bait with the vampire
Pith Helmet - Shorty - Lagos to Cotonou - My Agro Base farming where i rearing chicken and other animals was set ablazed overnight and we do not know who is actual behinde all these evils! -
I and my crew was locked up for 3 good days….They wanted to charge us to court but later we are fined an huge amount of money…I asked them why did they arrest the men, they started laughing and saying all sorts mockering words! -
…because now, am left with nothing and remember i told you my Guy (Joe) gave up earlier this morning
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic