SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Scamming on the streets

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
hash_condisions
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi all,

I am pretty new here and I apologise if this is the wrong place to bring up this discussion. But I wondered if anyone had met a scammer in real life?

I recall a year or so ago standing on an almost empty underground station platform, when I was approached by a well dressed man. He leaned in close and began to tell me something, unfortunately he was so softly spoken that I didn't understand at first and caught only a few words like "airport". Ah he's lost, I thought and began directing him to the tube line he wanted for the airport. He then laughed and suddenly spoke a lot more clearly - apparently he had accidentally left his wallet and travel documents in a cab and needed to board a flight today, thus he was asking for money to go and get another cab to find the first!

Of course at this point I told him he wasn't getting anything. The change in his smiling, friendly demeanor was instant, suddenly he straightened and with a bored look on his face walked off. At the time it struck me how funny the situation was - it was like the guy had just stepped out of a scam email!

I know why he targeted me (young woman, by herself, blah blah women=easy payday) and I kick myself for not making some excuse to take him to the station manager (He'll obviously try it on with more vulnerable victims).

Anyway, that's my tale, but I don't think its the only one to happen on the streets of London!

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It sounds like a well dressed beggar rather than a scam. Round here they have lost their money and need £1 for the bus home. If you give it them then they ask for more.

If they dress well and need to go to the airport via a taxi or 2, they can up the ante.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hash_condisions wrote:
Hi all,.. But I wondered if anyone had met a scammer in real life?

Firstly, welcome to Eater.

I've met a real life 419 scammer in real life but didn't know it at the time. He was shacked up with the daughter of a friend in London and subsequently got her pregnant. She now has a gorgeous little two year old girl. He sadly didn't want to know. His visitor's visor expired ages ago and he is living and working in the country illegally. He is Nigerian. Very polite he was. He called me "Sir". He holds done a day job flogging mobile phones(ooo the irony!) and makes a little extra with his 419 activities. How do I know that? Because his girlfriend told her father who then told me. I know this guys real name and that of his brother back in Nigeria. I would just love to get the b*gger deported, but I have to be careful because of the proximity to the scammer's ex-girlfriend's family.

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Hash,
What you describe is just begging, with a lie attached. I suppose in the broad scheme of things, it can be described as a scam at a push, but it's far from advance fee fraud... he's not offering you anything for starters!

I've come across a few scammers in the last 8 or 9 months, there are lots in London. I've baited two into meetings, only for my character to fail to show. I watched from a cafe over the street. I wouldn't condone that normally, but in the (very busy) circumstances it was safe. Mainly though, I just spot them when I am out and about... after a while, you know them when you see them, it's a combination of how they dress, how they look, how they talk on their phones, and in particular what they say. I won't go into specifics here as there is a danger of being misunderstood by the uninformed. Wink

Welcome to 419eater. Smile

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"They made me to understand you are a Fraud Star" - Ikenna.
"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
"I will have you now I am highly reputable businness magnet." - Pam Doh
"Sorry,i do not know you are all that: a destitute and nuts" - Ben Chris
hash_condisions
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

roycropper> ah yes I have seen many of those types of begging too - its sad that it is mostly for drugs.

Tommo shanter>That is a tricky situation to be in. I'm curious - have you ever baited him as an unknown online user?

Mugatu>Oh don't I know it! I am sure most of the ones I bait on Gumtree are actually located in London. Makes it all the more nicer to throw some bait their way Smile

The guy I met on the underground was an unusual version of the bus-fair begging I have come across before. As I recall he was asking a lot of money.

I am intrigued to hear some people have 'met' (although they don't know it - lol, the best part) scammers. I wonder if any scammers realise they have met a baiter Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've run into a few of those before. I remember one guy in NYC who claimed to have lost his wallet. He said he had all of his photography equipment nearby (out of sight of course), and he needed money for a taxi to somewhere far away an expensive. He asked for my address and swore up and down he would mail the money back as soon as he got home. I think he may even have offered his driver's license as collateral, fake and dispensable no doubt. I didn't give him anything, but he was very convincing and I did wonder for a while if he was legit... until a few weeks later when I heard someone telling the same story at a party.

the vampire
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have "met" some scammers . This summer i was at an petrol station not far from the german border when suddenly a big BMW stopped in front of me . A man who was of arabic origin jumped out of the car and asked me if i would buy his "golden" ring because he ran out of money . So i kind of baited him (and i didn't know about eater than) and let him tell his whole story and ask questions . Then he tried to sell his "golden" neck chain and i could give him anything i wanted for it . Just when he thought i would get my wallet i told him he would never get any money from me , so he went to someone else . I went inside the petrol station and asked the employees there if these people did this scamming more often . One of them went outside with me and said he'd seen them before (by now the whoman who was first only sitting in the car was out and tried her luck with other people ) When the scammers saw the employee they jumped in the car and drove away at full speed . The BMW had german registration plates but the scammers were talking dutch .

I'm always right! - Branwen
GoatEaster Egg Penguin Pole Dancer Purple Flower Mc Fry
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hash_condisions wrote:
I wondered if anyone had met a scammer in real life?

Yes, and here are the pics.

http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118127&highlight=atlanta

Omar Safari Edo-Abeche T.W.A.T
Adamu Safari Lagos-Abeche
Emi Safari- S Africa-Egypt-Sudan 10k miles
Chris Safari Jolly Roger Dakar-Niger-BF-Cameroon-Lagos-Mali-Nairobi 9.6k miles

Kevin Pith Helmet 10 Safari Accra- BF x2, Togo x2, Kumasi x3, Bolgatanga, Benin City, Tamale x2 Suitcase 5k miles Tattoo x 6
Kenny Safari Safari Safari 3k miles- dont f*ck me up about the payment plz. i have a policy about that. I JUST GOT A SMALL GOAT TODAY AND ITS IN MY HOUSE NOW. i lobve the goat.
Goat
Ben Safari Safari Safari 2.5k miles

Misc Pith Helmet 20 Pith Helmet 5 Pith Helmet 5 Safari Safari Germany-Holland, Atlanta, Beijing-ChangZhou, London-Glasgow, TIMBUKTU x 2
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I can't find the eater videos at the moment but here is a short part of one
linky to Scammer Sting
Now could you recognize real scammer in the street? It could be anyone!

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hash_condisions wrote:
...Tommo shanter>That is a tricky situation to be in. I'm curious - have you ever baited him as an unknown online user?

No, because it is too close to home and my friend is an idiot and would drop me in it without even realizing it. Sadly, I don't have the lad's email addy. One day though...

Tommo

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik

Firbuz
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been targeted by a "dropped wallet" scam, though I didn't recognize it till I'd left the scene. My grandmother got approached by the same guys later that day. (Neither of us lost money to them.)

Foreign worker with a winning lottery ticket whose boss is keeping his passport hostage. Another passer-by, with absolutely no connection to the first guy, also stops by to help. According to the script, Scammer #2 suggests buying the ticket from #1 for pennies on the dollar; victim pays and is trusted with the ticket. Naïf that I was, I kept telling the first scammer to get help from his ambassador...

Closed lad accounts×14 United Kingdom United States
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The one we see around here is asking for money for gas to get to the next town over which is "home". I don't know if this is begging in the traditional sense in that the person is homeless/down on his/her luck or scamming in the sense that this is how the person makes a "living".

YOU ARE A CHILD OF SATAN WITH YOUR HUNGRY DIRTY BODY ,TUNDER FIRE YOU BIG HEAD IDIOT !!! HA HA HA HA HA

IS THIS HOW YOU DECIDED TO TREAT US AFTER ALL WE WENT THROUGH?YOU MADE US TRAVELLED TO ABUJA AND INDEBTED US.

"Cursed is your mother that gave birth to a family-disgrace like you. Cursed is your father he could not control his lust for anything under skate"

"hey u crakhead motherf*cking nitwit, from the way u express the cockamamy sh*t that ur dumb brain is made up of it's so obvious that u never really made it past elementary school but anywayz dogs don't have to go to school afterall."

Pith Helmet (Lagos to Abuja)
Netherlands China Canada x2 United Kingdom Spain Ivory Coast Germany

Hello Kitty! <---in lieu of a brownie. TS
Mortar x8
Ari
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I ran into somebody at the gas station who claimed he needed money to buy bus tickets for him and his pregnant wife in the dead heat of summer. I told him I didn't have anything and he walked off. I should have asked where his wife was.
song odors
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Some years ago, I got to witness a 3 card monte "game." I even watched my friend loose the price of a meal. Yes, I told him it was a con, and yes he already knew that. To my eye it looked like a mob straight out of the old books! Although it could have been just a straight robbery set up.

I wasn't able to stay long enough to judge the slight of hand skills of the man "tossing the boards." But he was using the standard bent cards and throwing motions. I didn't get to see a fake roll, or any of the more amazing tricks that are possible, like a bent corner or a paperclip on the target card. But I don't think the guy was all that good; he was throwing too fast.

For me, the cool thing about (419) baiting, is that not only can I see scams in action, I can do a small part to mess them up. And do it without risk of getting physically assaulted.

Of course the best scams I get to see are the ones run by baiters on scammers. (I won't respond to any ethics replies to this post.)

edit: spelling
Miss Behaving
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

song odors wrote:
Some years ago, I got to witness a 3 card monte "game."

Westminster Bridge or Embankment in London, alongside the guys selling dreadful souvenirs and cheap cartons that might contain cigarettes, there's a three-card scam/game going on pretty often. It's a little crate covered in black cloth.

But I am rarely troubled in London, I suppose I have developed the right kind of 'leave me alone' field over the past five years.

Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have not witnessed it, but on the local news a couple of weeks ago there was a story about an elderly gentleman in our city who was approached as he left his bank. The two people asked him to help them claim their lottery prize. They told him it would cost several thousand dollars, accompanied him back into his bank, where he withdrew the money, and said they had to mail it and would he mind getting the postage also. Being the kind and helpful sort, he agreed. When he came out of the post office, they were gone, and the envelope that supposedly contained the cash contained only cut-up newspaper.

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Begging on the London Underground - never happened back in my day. Grrrr. Still, I guess it makes a difference from the scruffy "gypsy" woman clutching her "hungry baby" AKA "doll" working the train carriages. These people do it because they can. Double Grrrrrr

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In Greece and Italy, Ive seen women begging using real babies. Twisted Evil

That pisses me off, both from an emotional blackmail point of view (I don't give a monkeys if 'mom' gets her next fix or not, but I don't want the baby to starve), and because I worry for the baby's welfare being dragged around in the heat all day.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
atallman
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was having a smoke outside a shopping mall in Penang, Malaysia and 2 Africans, students I'm guessing, came up to me and told me the normal NOK scam they where the sons of a King blah blah. I'm Aussie and 6'7" I guess I stand out a bit in Asia so I must have looked like a good target.

I laughed at these guys, patted the "leader" of the two on the shoulder and said, "I've heard it before mate, see ya later" and walked away. I could hear them laugh as I walked off.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As I went out a couple of years ago, two men got out of a van and tried to sell me a plasma TV for a ridiculously low price. The box would have only contained bricks, of course.
I phoned the police with the van's registration number, but they weren't really interested.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
haywood_jablowmi
Master of Master Baiters

Location: demoralise the lads, over and over, they will give up just crush the hope they have of getting cash!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@tommo - shop him annonymously - i would!

Quote:
Report an immigration offence
If you know someone is breaking immigration laws, for example by being in the United Kingdom illegally or by employing an illegal immigrant, you can email us to give us information about it. We may not be able to acknowledge your email but we will pass it on to the local immigration team in the appropriate part of the country. Where appropriate, they will investigate and take action.

To enable us to send your information quickly to the local immigration team closest to the offence you are reporting, please help us by putting the specific place (for example Croydon) or the specific postcode (for example CR0) in the subject line (title) of your email. Please also try to give us as much information as possible about the immigration offence (for example names and addresses), to help our investigation.

We treat all personal information as confidential. This means we will not tell the person involved that you contacted us. It also means that we will not be able to tell you what was done as a result of your information.

Email: [email protected]

Cellphone Nigeria
1x voodoo curse
"you are a cosomplitant asshole" S.Ghartey 2006 - why thank you i think.
' i sent jamaicans to kill you' Mills Kwame - you must have given them the wrong address, no one came round, i baked cookies and everything.
YOU ARE A CUR, A TRAMP, A HOBO A MISRABLE ONE FOR THAT MATTER.
WANDERING PIG.
SLAG LIKE YOU ARE NOT A MAN OF GOD GO TO HEIL I WILL NOT PRAY FOR YOU THAT AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU IS THAT WITH YOU.
hash_condisions
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mr Tambourine Man wrote:
As I went out a couple of years ago, two men got out of a van and tried to sell me a plasma TV for a ridiculously low price. The box would have only contained bricks, of course.
I phoned the police with the van's registration number, but they weren't really interested.

Sort of reminds me of our local Potato man, he sometimes turned up in a dirty van and one of his helpers would jump out and knock on doors, asking if people wanted potatos (they always looked bad!). We agreed at the time, that just as the ice cream man needs a tune, so does the potato man - except it would be a gruff sounding voice Very Happy

Props to the person who got the vids - fantastic work!

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

haywood_jablowmi wrote:
@tommo - shop him annonymously - i would!

Nothing would give me more pleasure! The problem lies in the fact that that I'm not anonymous. Not that I'm not afraid of dying, because I believe we all have to die sometime dear. Laughing I'm just biding my time. View it as a pan on the stove that is simmering but not boiling.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic