SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

MAGic and Me – a serious thread

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have mentioned a few times that I am visually impaired, and you all have been very polite about it – no snarky comments like I’ve received on other forums. I am grateful for that.

I was sharing some information with a mod in PM, and she mentioned that it might be interesting for you all to learn a little about how a visually impaired person deals with a computer.

I am totally blind in one eye and legally blind in the other. The usual size of the display on even a 19” flat screen is still too small for me to see. So I must use software that enlarges the display. The best enlargement for me is 3x. This means that I can only see 1/9 of the screen display at any one time. And I have black and white reversed – I see white letters on a black background to cut down on glare. Other colors are unchanged, except in text. I don’t see text in any other color but white.

I use a nifty program called MAGic, from Freedom Scientific. It changes the colors, magnifies, and even reads aloud to me. I can set it to read a letter at a time or a whole word when I’ve finished typing it. I use the word option, because when I have spelled something wrong I’ll know right away when MAGic mispronounces it.

That means, of course, that I can get a little confused when trying to read something someone else has typed – someone with dyslexia or poor typing skills. You can imagine what the lads’ letters sound like to me. Ladspeak, however, is not so bad, as they tend to spell phonetically, so MAGic doesn’t sound too bad there.

L33t masking, however, can get confusing, especially when every single vowel is masked. I am getting used to some of it, though. When MAGic says five-imba, I know it’s Simba. In fact, it sounds more normal to me now.

The emoticons that move give me a little problem, as MAGic thinks that something moving needs to be at the center of the screen. So if something in the upper left corner of the screen is moving, and I am reading in the lower right corner, the display keeps bouncing to the upper left. I solve that by hitting ESC, which stops the emoticon from moving. When I make a long post, like this one, I type it in Word, and then copy-and-paste. It’s easier to control things that way.

That’s just a little insight (pun intended) into the life of a visually impaired person who refuses to give up her computer use. In fact, I am under consideration for a job in a customer service call center where a fair number of the reps are visually impaired. They provide their employees with whatever accommodations they need to do their job effectively and efficiently.

If anyone has any questions, I am more than happy to answer them. I am a born educator, so I love helping people understand what may be a mystery to them.

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
Spudz
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow that is very interesting. I'm surprised MAGic is still able to work after reading out scam mails! I know i have trouble getting through them!

Javed Main:I received your e-mail message but cannot read very well due to the injection I took last night/Please for Gods sake i would'nt like you to address my bank as feck/You are a priest and you are bold enough to tell me that you took 3 bottles of the finest whiskey/Please i am not ready to take more of your insult.

NIGERIA HE GOAT
IF YOU EVER SEND THIS TYPE OF THINGS TO MY EMAIL;; I WILL SHOW MY SELF TO YOU BASTAD NIGERIA HE GOAT....F*CK OFF AND DIE OF UNGER

YOU ARE SUCH A NONENTITY, I NEVER KNEW PEOPLE LIKE YOU STILL IN EXISTENCE. WHAT AN INGLORIOUS BASTARD ARE YOU?

Closed lad accounts x 10-2x33/8 you do the hokey cokey and you turn around and that's what it's all about
Breddan Butter
Retired Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for sharing that and helping us to understand how those less able than most of us cope with situations we all consider to be 'normal'.

I would just like to add here a plea for our members, in the light of what you have described, to endeavour to use correct English when posting instead of using slang and kiddie language.
Not only will that aid members with Titania's disadvantage but it will also help those users from around the world who's first language isn't English.

My IP address is 217.21.39.255. (86.57.134.49 on Sundays) Please don't come knocking on my door.
Ima Baeder
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for sharing that, Titania! That was very interesting. Very Happy

Star Mugu Reseller Mortar Closed lad accounts x 100 Sand Timer 2 Years Pretty Rose Mc Fry Mc Fry Nurse Nastys Audi TT Goat Flying Monkey Easter Egg 2011
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Rover
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for sharing that with us Titania

Latest Anti Fraud News | Email Header Analysis | Help keep Eater running | Join 419Eater on Facebook Easter 2015
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's very interesting, Titania.
Thank you for sharing.
I did wonder how you were managing so well and you are very eloquent I may add
reno419
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you so much for sharing that with us. I love hearing success stories like that. My 6 year old son is mentally handicapped (Mosaic Down Syndrome www.imdsa.org for those interested). Hearing of people that have physical and/or mental challenges that most of us don't and are still very successful in life gives me encouragement for my son.

Again, thank you!
Doodle Bug
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Titania Smile

Who is this person Mickey Mouse???
trying to dercieve hoorable men like me. You are stupid man ok.
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you for sharing that Titania. Technology sure can be useful in so many ways. I admire that you don't let issues slow you down. I am glad you are here and that you shared that information.

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
doc holliday
Squirrels Hate Me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Must have missed those posts where you mentioned your visual impairment-never would have guessed if you hadn't mentioned it.To hell with those forums where they make snarky comments,you are here now and welcome!

Oh yes,I had a few lingering doubts in the back of my mind about that orphan scammer too.So glad he decided to relieve us of them.Let the fun begin

You have given me enough stress through the shit you sent to me
Jack the hitlad

What you sent to me is not real, don't you fucking understand simple english, that is not real slip from money gram, I have been using money gram before now, FUCK YOU. IDIOT. PLAY YOUR GAME WELL. MASTER OF ALL PLAYERS
Jack,the hitlad who keeps giving me fresh sig lines

Closed lad accounts x35 x2 Easter Egg 2012
Corona
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That is great and thanks for sharing!

An Eater's Sweetheart Safari
The Blackwood Con
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow. What you are able to do is absolutely inspiring. I can't imagine what it would be like to even just be partially blind. The fact that you are able to you a computer, not to mention bait people whose English language skills are poor at best, is simply incredible. I am in awe of what you accomplish. Thank you for sharing this with us.

thanks for making a fool of me ok,you are just talking nonsense.man to hell with you if you keep fooling me all the time."
maybe i will come and lick your shoes just because you want to buy diamonds from me.
Good_Ash
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The mod was right. I found that post very interesting. Thank you, Titania.

Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That is amazing. You type better than quite a lot of people who have 20/20 vision. Laughing Thank you for the insight.

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion
Cellphone x15 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts 50+

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

- I am the King of Rome, and above grammar
Easter Egg
Simba
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Titania wrote:
When MAGic says five-imba, I know it’s Simba. In fact, it sounds more normal to me now.

I am just relieved that I am not causing you problems any longer Titania.

I think that the way that you refuse to be constrained is absolutely amazing.

You truly are a remarkable lady.

Safari=Mr Yetonde-Sierra Leone to Accra
Safari=Mr Jiullus-Abidjan to Accra to Kumasi to Tamale
Safari=Mr Dandy-Abidjan to Monrovia-SSC Liberia
Safari=Mr Mandela-Jo'burg to Maun-SSC Botswana
Safari=Mr Danka-Dakar to Bangul-SSC Gambia
Safari=Mr Twumasi-Accra to Cotonou-SSC Benin
Safari=Mr Gomer-Lagos to Douala to Parakou-SSC Cameroon & SSC Benin
SafariSafariSafari=Mr Chukwu-Lome to Accra to Koforidua. Lome to Lagos. Lome to Cotonou.

Ivory Coast Nigeria Sierra Leone Somolia Liberian Flag Gambia South Africa Kenya Angola Flag Guinea Bissau Burkina Faso Ghana Mali cameroon Benin Senegal Togo
SherlockHolmie
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you for the information on MAGic Titania.

For my own curiosity, can you give me an example of how MAGic would translate a poorly written post?

Many thanks.

"You are a stopid man." - Barr Choy Choong
"Hello Mr Dear and Dumb" - Usman Danququ
"We can not entertain any more insubordinations from you!" - Roberto Correras, United Nations, Cote d'Ivorie Branch
sheboppe
The Sparkly Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You are amazing - thank you for sharing this, Titania. We will do anything that we can to help.

I second Breddan's plea for consideration of others when posting. Very Happy

| <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135992> Official Eater T-Shirts</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028> Premium Membership</a> | ScamWarners | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413> Forum Rules</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51> Baiting Tutorials</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118738> Baiting Help</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846> FAQs</a> |

star pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Mortar x22
Titania
Hell on wheels

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you all for your kind comments. You all are part of the reason I love it here!

@Sherlock - well, for instance, when someone types yuor instead of your, I don't hear much difference. MAGic uses certain rules of pronunciation and tries to pronounce the words exactly as written, so letters out of place sometimes change the whole sound of the word. So "becasue" instead of "because" gets me "beck-a-sue." I know that one well, because I tend to mis-type it myself. Smile

Abbreviations are interesting, too. BTW is spelled out, it tries to pronounce FWIW (try it yourself and see what it sounds like), but FYI comes out "for your information."

And YeaWheatever's initials - YW? Well, try "ieuw" - I can't really duplicate it phonetically, but there it is. I know who's being referenced, though. Very Happy Run-on words get strange pronunciations, too.

And don't get me started on the foreign words.

edited because I'm not the great typist you all seem to think I am. Laughing

Safari Stanley's Christmas Adventure 2008 - Lagos to Abuja - massbait
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the thread Titania, very interesting. I have to ask, how does the software pronounce Usman Bello? Very Happy

Edit: Changed the lol emoticon, sorry.

Quote:
The emoticons that move give me a little problem, as MAGic thinks that something moving needs to be at the center of the screen. So if something in the upper left corner of the screen is moving, and I am reading in the lower right corner, the display keeps bouncing to the upper left. I solve that by hitting ESC, which stops the emoticon from moving.

Last edited by Pastor Frank on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That's very inspirational and quite fascinating. Thanks so much for sharing that.

I have a friend who has been blind since birth, and another (sighted) friend who is a Braille translator (putting textbooks into Braille for blind students) so I've had a very good education into that world. But computer technology adds an entirely new dimension.

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

I apologize again that I will lick the dust from your sandals - Shorty

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
SherlockHolmie
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you Titania, it does make sense to me now.

This programme sounds similar to a language translator; the translation you receive is only as good as the phrases that are entered into the system.

In my case, my screen name is "SherlockHolmie" (and my avatar is an altered drawing of Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson), which the programme was able to pick up. How did the programme translate that to you?

**Edited to include putting parentheses around my reference to my avatar...the programme would not have been able to translate that information**

"You are a stopid man." - Barr Choy Choong
"Hello Mr Dear and Dumb" - Usman Danququ
"We can not entertain any more insubordinations from you!" - Roberto Correras, United Nations, Cote d'Ivorie Branch
Newdonym
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow. One of my larger fears is going blind. Glad to see you are able to get on with life so well and even do things like baiting.

I've been using voice to text software with varying success for the past year or so. Some of the mistakes on that are quite weird too. As SherlockHomie said, they are only as good as the info they have.

I was wondering what the voice sounds like. Most I've seen and used are very robotic. I don't suppose this one would sound anything like a real person?
Cherrie
** Mentoring Guru **

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good post Girl...well done. ...Thumbs up.

<a href="/forum/donate.php">[Click here to donate to 419Eater.com]</a>

pony pony pony
Mortar x153
Professor So And So
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Very impressive, Titania. Thanks for sharing that.

Safari - Mr. Neill - London, England - Glasgow, Scotland - "Yu are really causing confusions between us all."
Safari - William - Accra, Ghana - Maiduguri, Nigeria
Safari - Miracle - Benin - N'Djamena, Chad - "Too much mosquitoes"
Safari - Godspower - Ghana - N'Djamena, Chad
Golden Pith - Adamu - Lagos, Nigeria - Abeche, Chad (100 days in hell) - Shocked - "SAVE ME"
pony pony Pretty Rose Suitcase Mortar 17
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic