SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Hikes (or Hiking Books) in New England, NY, NJ, PA, VA...

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
MyMyselfAndI
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry to bug everyone with travel related questions but I'm gearing up for my little (well, 23 days in the US and Canada) vacation.

I've had a look online and have found a couple of decent looking hikes (loops not point to point) but I haven't found any good books at all but I'm limited to Amazon.co.uk.

If anyone can recommend hikes in any of the states mentioned above it'd be great. I'm looking for 7 to 10 mile loop hikes preferably not with more than 2,000ft altitude gain (in a single climb, more is acceptable if it's several separate climbs).

Also, where is the best place to buy hiking maps on that side of the pond? As in best place price wise and selection wise.

Thanks!

"I 4LH4JI 4N4NE C0MP0A0REU THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF F1RST B4NK OF 4FRIKA B.O.A HAVE JUST FINISHED READING THIS YOUR SECOND MAIL AFTER YOU INSAULTED ME WITH YOUR FORMAL MESSAGE." - 4lh4ji C0mp0a0reu director B4nk of 4frica

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY 50 DOLLARS????ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING OR DO THINK THAT YOU ARE SELLING FOOD ITEMS IN THE MARKET OR DO YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE DEALING WITH A PERSONAL BANK." - 4lh4ji C0mp0a0reu director B4nk of 4frica
Lester
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You have the Applachlian trail that runs from Maine to Georgia -

Virginia has some very nice parts of it here in the Blue Ridge - and great colors if you come in the fall.

Many small towns at the post office has "boxes" people leave for the hikers with food and other items to help that are off the trail.

I cant bring it up here at work - but contact the Tourist Offices of each state - they may or may not send you the items.

But Amazon.com may ship to you -

Or just come to a bookstore when you get to the states

$3,838,681.54 of fake checks taken off the street
Mortar x13 Tattoo x4 Sand Timer 4y 3m
_____
"Just open up and tell me the truth and stop tricking your dick." - Mr.Kofi Yousaof

"I'm a Muslim, Ok I'm a Christian, Mother F---. Get the F---- off my phone N-----, don't call me anymore." - A lad on the phone with "Homeland Security".
MyMyselfAndI
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^ Lester

Thanks!

I'm very hesitant to use Amazon.com or any other major online US store as I've been slapped with nasty customs fees here in the UK.

I'm not too familiar with Virginia. Is the Blue Ridge anywhere near the Shenandoah NP or is it actually there?

We'll travel late August through late September and will head where the weather is nice to maximize the outdoorsy activities.

"I 4LH4JI 4N4NE C0MP0A0REU THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF F1RST B4NK OF 4FRIKA B.O.A HAVE JUST FINISHED READING THIS YOUR SECOND MAIL AFTER YOU INSAULTED ME WITH YOUR FORMAL MESSAGE." - 4lh4ji C0mp0a0reu director B4nk of 4frica

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY 50 DOLLARS????ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING OR DO THINK THAT YOU ARE SELLING FOOD ITEMS IN THE MARKET OR DO YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE DEALING WITH A PERSONAL BANK." - 4lh4ji C0mp0a0reu director B4nk of 4frica
Lester
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well the http Shenadoah NP IS in the Blue Ridge:)

http://www.nps.gov/shen/

If You want a wonderful drive - http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/
The entire road falls under the National Park System. - many overlooks
Hiking trails off the road a lot too (some are steep - others are calm)
the App. Trail is off this road.. A few Wineries are off this you can tour and do taste tests.

Starts up in Middle of VA and goes down to Ashville, NC

All of this is in my backyard - so i would be glad to give advice.

$3,838,681.54 of fake checks taken off the street
Mortar x13 Tattoo x4 Sand Timer 4y 3m
_____
"Just open up and tell me the truth and stop tricking your dick." - Mr.Kofi Yousaof

"I'm a Muslim, Ok I'm a Christian, Mother F---. Get the F---- off my phone N-----, don't call me anymore." - A lad on the phone with "Homeland Security".
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ MyMyselfAndI

For a good read about the Appalachian Trail look for Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods". Although it's not a guide, he tells about his experiences trying to hike from one end of the AT to the other. It also has a couple of chapters regarding Shenandoah National Park.

Even if you aren't going on the AT it's a great book and well worth a read.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
Dionysius
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Definately. Besides being useful in terms of tips on how to cope (though he doesn't specifically say these are tips), it is a bloody good laugh and very well written.

RIP - Lad vampire and muguito were the gifts that kept on leeching. Greatly missed.

Information about Scams and their effects with great trophies - http://www.scam-info-links.info/ from Scam Patroller - http://www.romancescambaiter.com/ from wayne
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Shenadoah NP and its sister Great Smoky Mountains are really nice and absolutely stunning in the fall, but the US and Canada has a lot to offer. Given what you desire, this is my list of favorite 7-10 mile hiking areas that just so happen to be in National Parks. Each NP has visitor's centers with rangers that would love to give tips on where to go. Be sure to fill out wilderness permits and have topo maps along with your GPS. Topos can be had at each park.

1. Glacier National Park (go there before the glaciers all melt.)
2. Yellowstone
3. Banff NP, Alberta
4. Grand Canyon (part way down and up, or all the way baby.)
5. Hawaii Vocanoes (take a LED headlamp and walk to the flows at night.)
6. Crater Lake National Park (along the rim and down to the lake.)
7. Olympic ( rain gear please.)
8. Sequoia National Park
9. Yosemite National Park (swing those elbows and fight the crowds.)
10.Zion National Park
11.Lassen Volcanic National Park
12. Grand Teton National Park (mmmpppff could be too high on the list.)
13. Death Valley National Park
14. Joshua Tree National Park
15. Acadia National Park ( lots of trails actually.)
16. Bryce Canyon National Park
17. Kings Canyon National Park (go into Mineral King.)

I've been to many more but could not recommend them for hikes. I've planned a trip this month for three more in Alaska. I like biking but hiking is good too.

Edit- Check with each NP before you go. Some require advance reservations for tours, most do not for day hikes. Take your 10 essentials with you every time.
http://www.backpacking.net/ten-essl.html

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

For things to do in New York State, check out the I Love New York website. http://www.iloveny.com/home.aspx
You can get some free maps at the site, and also lots of outdoor stores in the state have topo maps, too.
If you like hiking, there are plenty of places to go on day or overnight trips in the Adirondack Park and the Catskill mountains.
Welcome to New York! Cool

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dang, I missed the title of the thread. Embarassed
I go here for books on hiking. They break it down into regions.

http://www.rei.com/category/10566785

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
packman
Elite Baiter

Location: In his own little world but it's ok, they know him there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dont forget the White Mountains in New Hampshire. great hiking.

The receipt you send is totally invisible ok-Kelly

FUCK YOU SMALL BOI YOU ARE POOR IN HEAD AND SOUL
AND GOD WILL PUNISH YOU FOR SCAMMING HOUNST MEN LIKE ME.. Segun Akintemi
Click here to support 419Eater.com
pony <-- I got a pony WAHOO Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x3
Fatter Siam
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

MMI-
The Appalachian Mountain Club http://www.outdoors.org/ and REI are great resources. The AMC will help you plan a trip and they have some great maps and very helpful volunteers. Late September you'll be getting some nice foliage up north.
And, yes, getting Bryson's book is mandatory reading for this trip.

Safari Accra>Abidjan
Safari Accra>Dakar
Safari Accra>Lome
Safari Cotonou>Abidjan
Safari Cotonou>Accra
Safari Cotonou>Lome
Safari Lagos>Lome UHMMMMM OH MY GOD DADDY PLEASE SAVE MY LIFE HERE IN LOME i did not eat, take my bath nor brush my tooth
Safari #1 Lagos>Cotonou> SH Parakou, #2 Lagos>SH Abuja HE REALLY SUFFERED AS I COULDN'T RECOGNIZE HIM AGAIN

Click here to support 419Eater.com
MyMyselfAndI
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Connie L. Gus

I've been hiking in quite a few of those national parks already! Smile Not all of them though and will keep the rest on my "to do list" for future trips. We'll (better half and myself) stick to the east coast this trip. We'll visit Acadia NP this round if the weather holds up.

@ SlapHappy

On my to do list this trip for sure (unless the weather is crap. Am a fussy hiker in that respect!)

@ packman

We're going to ME right away and will most likely take a trip to White Mountains again. Spent four nights in Littleton, NH two years ago and went on some nice hikes in White Mountains then.

@ Fatter Siam

We'll head south if the weather up north doesn't hold up.

We've got close to four weeks to play around with and final destinations depend on the weather. Will keep some kind of log going here when I'm off for my US safari!

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions!

Gold Hat
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wait . . . wait . . . if you are still planning and looking for ideas - THINK CANADA eh!

Check out the Niagara Bruce Trail - in southern Ontario up to Georgian Bay. Niagara Escarpment is a UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve. A days drive from New England.

http://members.becon.org/~nbtc/

If you are hiking in September you will get all the wonderful colours - no bugs - and some of the most spectacular scenery in all of Canada with some of the best services for hikers ever.

Check it out.
MyMyselfAndI
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^^ Gold Hat

I'm thinking Canada, eh! Very Happy I'd love go there (weather allowing) for hikes as it's one of the countries we'd like to relocate to once I'm certified super smart... Confused

Do you have a clue how much a night at a decent motel (Holiday Inn Express/Hampton Inn) costs in that region?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic