SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Trouble getting online -SORTED THANKS

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I got my daughter a new latop Tesco

Its been great but seemed to do an automatic update today and stopped going online.
The Linksys connectivity is OK
The only way I can get her connected to the net is to turn off the firewall.
Its Vista running IE
Virgin cable modem

Its got AVG free 8.0 and Spybot but I'm not too happy about running without a firewall

Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Any ideas?

Should I turn off Windoz auto updates?

Last edited by Nanny Ogg on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
The Blackwood Con
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Get Firefox. Because IE sucks more than anything else I can think of. Except maybe Comcast's Customer Service.

I doubt the problem is IE, but nevertheless...don't use it. It's a worthless piece of [insert vile word of your choice here].

Sorry that I can't give you more help. I am only familiar with getting an IBM online.

thanks for making a fool of me ok,you are just talking nonsense.man to hell with you if you keep fooling me all the time."
maybe i will come and lick your shoes just because you want to buy diamonds from me.

Last edited by The Blackwood Con on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
DizzySteinway
Annoying Stuck-Up Cow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Silly question, but have you checked your firewall's exceptions list? See if it's allowing IE to get to the internet.

pony pony pony pony pony
- Feeling any better? -yes thank you, how kind! Mortar x5
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's the latest windows update- I ran into this last week. ZoneAlarm has a patch for it, if that was your Firewall. If you don't want the patch, you can set your firewall security from high to medium and that will put in a temp fix and allow access to the internet.

IE does blow, though.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Old No. 7
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^
And suck.....at the same time Laughing

@ Nanny - it's worth visiting the website of your firewall supplier - as TS said, I too had Zone Alarm stop me getting on line, so I tried a complete reinstall, lost my settings in the process, then read the ZAP website which told me it was Big Bad Bill's fault.

ZA has a patch - I'll bet your firewall supplier does by now.

200+ sites killed, from these countries => United Kingdom Netherlands Russia Nigeria Switzerland Ukraine South Africa Germany United States Canada Senegal Benin Spain Ghana Ivory Coast Cambodia Flag United Nations

pony pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar

Like my flags? Want some of your own? Let justjay teach you how to kill sites here (clicky).

Hobbes may have retired, but get his brilliant WriteJunk here (clicky) and never touch a .dll again

Proud to be a mouth-breather who posted a load of shit, disappeared into the night but mysteriously reappeared after a long absence
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, ZA's site says Vista isn't effected.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
tandenberg
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm, Maybe that's it. My computer hasn't been getting internet connectivity for about the last 24 hours or so. I was thinking that it was the router that needed rebooting (it's in the room next to mine and I can't get to it) but this is also a possibility, since it didn't start happening until after I rebooted my computer from the latest updates...

And I'm the one who does this stuff for a living! I'm so ashamed...
The Blackwood Con
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I shou8ld also note that Vista is a piece of shite too. In my opinion the only good thing about it is that it happens to look prettier than XP. That's it. I have had Vista for about a year now. I kind of hate it. All the security warnings piss me off.

thanks for making a fool of me ok,you are just talking nonsense.man to hell with you if you keep fooling me all the time."
maybe i will come and lick your shoes just because you want to buy diamonds from me.
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks folks.
I intend to install firefox on her computer ( or get her to do it ).
I've managed to revive my old desktop which i thought had died as it was just hanging and not firing up.
Disabled pc tools firewall on it and its going ok now. It has firefox and Windoz XP

@ TSnerd I'm glad it wasn't something I've done. How stupid is that to create and update that needs firewall disabled.

What I have found is that I only need to disable it to get online then can switch it back on once I'm on.

I'll look for a patch or install Zone Alarm
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My old steam powered desktop fell over again but is now installing patches on the firewall.
For intrest heres a bit from Virgin Medias site

Quote:
If you are a current user of Zonealarm security suites you may have been affected by a recent update made by Microsoft.

Zone Alarm recommends that your firewall is set to medium via the slider in the Firewall control panel to allow browsing to continue. On completion of this you should visit the Zonealarm update site and download the latest version of your firewall software.

Alternatively, the "Security update for Windows (KB951748)" can be removed via the add/remove programme Icon in your control panel.

You can if required, contact Microsoft Support for more assistance. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Its affecting more firewalls than zone alarm though.

Ironic that I needed to connect to the net to learn how to fix this Wink
Old No. 7
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^
Even more ironic that the only way MS seems to be able to increase 'net security is to stop people who use non-MS firewalls actually accessing the interweb.

Probably does wonders for their infection rate statistics, thus proving the efficacy of their security fix Laughing

200+ sites killed, from these countries => United Kingdom Netherlands Russia Nigeria Switzerland Ukraine South Africa Germany United States Canada Senegal Benin Spain Ghana Ivory Coast Cambodia Flag United Nations

pony pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar

Like my flags? Want some of your own? Let justjay teach you how to kill sites here (clicky).

Hobbes may have retired, but get his brilliant WriteJunk here (clicky) and never touch a .dll again

Proud to be a mouth-breather who posted a load of shit, disappeared into the night but mysteriously reappeared after a long absence
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^
After a weekend of trying different configurations the only way my old steam powered desktop will go online is with a Windaes firewall, anything else causes it to hang forever.
it does seem its M$ firewall or nothing on my old machine.
So thats me decided to retire it and stick to the laptops, frees up the comptuer desk to a desK ( ? )
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic