SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

News Item - 419 going local in Seattle area

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
AMG
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's been a while since I've posted anything although I continue with my straight baits semi-regularly. I thought this story was interesting in that instead of email it was done in person - something I've never read about locally. It's also just a reminder to me that people are actually still tricked out of their money.

Classic scam costs Mukilteo woman $60,000

A woman who said she needed to give away $180,000 and fly home to Africa to save her family from being killed — all in one day — bilked a Mukilteo women of $60,000 in a classic pigeon-drop scam, Lynnwood police said.

By Leslie Anne Jones

Seattle Times staff reporter

A woman who said she needed to give away $180,000 and fly home to Africa to save her family from being killed bilked a Mukilteo woman of $60,000 in a classic scam, Lynnwood police said.

The victim, 63, was approached in the parking lot of the Lynnwood Costco on July 2 by a woman who spoke with a thick accent and claimed she was from Africa, according to a police news release. The woman said she wanted to donate $180,000, bequeathed to her by an uncle, to charity, police said.

The woman told the victim she needed two honest people to help her give away the money. According to police, she said she couldn't do it herself because she had to fly back to Africa that day or her family, who were being held hostage, would be killed.

The woman revealed a roll of money, with $100 bills on the outside, and legal-looking paperwork to support her story, Lynnwood police spokeswoman Shannon Sessions said.

The woman phoned her "attorney" and then told the victim they must go to a McDonald's in Lynnwood to find a second person, police said.

When they arrived, the woman approached a man she pretended not to know who introduced himself as Frank, and proceeded to tell him the same story she had told the victim, Sessions said.

The woman said she needed proof Frank and the victim were honest. She also said she needed proof the pair weren't poor because poor people would likely keep the money rather than donate it to charity, police said.

Frank left and returned with a bag of jewelry and cash. The victim watched the woman give the man what looked like $90,000 in cash, police said.

The woman then persuaded the victim to withdraw money.

The victim withdrew $60,000 from her bank while the woman and Frank waited in a nearby parking lot.

Police said the victim wanted to withdraw more, but the bank wouldn't let her. Employees sat down with the victim to consult with her on the withdrawal before a manager signed off on it, police said.

The victim handed over the money to the woman who was waiting with Frank. The woman then asked the victim to drive away and leave Frank and her with the money — proving her reliability. The victim did. When she returned, the scammers and her savings were gone, police said.

Police didn't release the victim's name.

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is," Sessions said. "If people have any family members who've been contacted with something like this, they need to call 911."

Police said more people may be involved, because the security photos from the bank where Frank and the woman waited appeared to show them getting into the back of the car, indicating someone else could have been driving.

A police news release described the woman as black, between 5-feet-1 and 5-feet-3, and probably in her 30s or 40s.

She was wearing a wig. The man identified as Frank was a Hispanic male, about 5-feet-8, 35 or 40 years old, and about 225 pounds.

He was wearing a multicolored shirt and a flat hat with a snap button in front. Their car was a newer black Ford Expedition.

Anyone with information on the pair is asked to call Detective Scott Dilworth at 425-670-5619.

Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

AMG wrote:

Police didn't release the victim's name.

Mrs Martha Dipshit.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
Koffi T or Me
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Let's not blame the victim. The advantage these scammers had over someone scamming via email is that the victim didn't have much time to think. If she'd slept on it/discussed it with another person, she probably would have changed her mind. Thus, the scammer's claim that she was leaving for Africa.
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You used the correct word - "Victim".
So in my opinion, she can't be blamed for being scammed. The onus of the crime lands squarely on the shoulders of the scammer/s.

But the victim can be accused of being a dipshit. There is no doubt about that whatsoever.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
Mr Tambourine Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Koffi T or Me wrote:
If she'd slept on it/discussed it with another person, she probably would have changed her mind. .

Possibly not. It sounds as if at least two bank employees couldn't deter her.

NOW AMBACK FOR YOU AGAIN STURBORN SHIT
you dont have a phone.that makes makes you joe butt

Fuck you and go find something to do man. Stop disturbing me please.

This is definitely why you will remain and die in poverty, ignorant of good things and easy acknowledgment of bad things and words. Shame on you, you wicked generation children.

i went you to no that this is not a cheld pray. i went you to get back to me

we are not scammer,we hate scammer as you do.scammer make out life harder and harder,a lot of people think we are scammer,in fact,we are not!! please trustt us
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow, she had $60,000.00 in savings! Shocked

It is a shame that she got taken for the funds. I hope the police have withheld her name so that she doesn't become a victim of a recovery scam too.

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic