SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Any Bird Experts Here?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

OK. First off, apologies for the crappy photo. I'll put up a better one later.

This bloody thing landed on our lake a couple of days and set up home. I think it's a cormorant. Mind you, it's a big bastard. The bird on the right is an adult heron and the new-comer is way bigger.

We don't mind the heron as the fish in the lake have a chance - they can just stick to the deeper water and he's screwed. But the cormorant (or whatever it is) is diving the lake and so none of our poor fishies stand a chance.

We've tried running down to the lake and chasing the bastard away but he just comes back a few minutes later. And he obviously doesn't give a shit about other birds. So how do we get rid of him?

No. I don't want to shoot him and no, I don't have a cat big enough to take him on. Any ideas?

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole

Last edited by Slightlyoutofit on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hard to tell from the small photo, probably is a cormorant, possibly a shag.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Too big to be a shag.
I'd say it stands about a metre high.

God will see you true for all this you have done to me you bastard. - Collins Kalu
MAY THE HAND THAT TYPE ON KEYBORD BECOME STRICKEN AND TRANSMIT VIRUS TO YOU ENTIRE BODY. - Dr Linda Akeem
oh what a mess its time cabbage punks like u will be expose for trully what they are. - David Cole
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hard to tel but it does look like a cormorant.
Think the only real diffrence between cormorant and shag is the crest.
Does it do the classic standing with wings outstretched?

Any way try http://www.cormorants.info/ for ideas.
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Google found me this:

STUDY USING AN INFLATABLE POPUP SCAREY MAN

I'm a bit dubious of any study where one of the authors is a Junior O King, mind you. Or from Mississippi.
Read it, though, it's the best thing I've read all day.

I also found a commercial solution using lasers, maybe have a go with a laser pen every time it lands?
Quote:
Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo) :
It is possible to optically scare cormorants up to a distance of 2.5km by specific and direct laser action on the dormitories in order to provoke the mass desertion of the birds using DESMAN laser model FL_R_005 . These devices only project a laser beam without bullet or shot. Its application is silent and causes no environmental disturbance. The optical method of cormorant scaring was developed in France by DESMAN and is commonly applied in other countries.
The optical scaring of cormorants is provoked by the perception by the bird of a high contrast between the luminosity of the surroundings and the red laser beam or its image which are projected in the direction of the bird by the user in the required luminosity conditions. Efficiency is maximal between dusk and dawn as well as in cloudy weather conditions.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nanny Ogg wrote:

Does it do the classic standing with wings outstretched?

Like this?

Gotta admit, I'm not too worried about what it is (although the lake is 9 miles inland so having a cormorant there would be kind of a novelty).
I'm more concerned about getting rid of the bastard before he eats all the fish.

@Roy. I've actually got a laser pen. I might give that a go!!!

Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Looks like a cormorant to me. If you are worried about your fish can you let a dog loose in there to scare the bird off? Unusual to see them so far inland but if the weather's bad on the coast or it's lost or possibly sick it may be stopping over for a while to recuperate.

I once saw a cormorant swallow a huge eel and it's whole neck was twisting and kinking as the eel struggled to escape. Eventually the eel won and slithered back up the bird's throat and back into the water. Ew gross.

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd go for the popup scarey man myself, especially when fitted with the propane exploders!

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
Mr Wang
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://wackywavinginflatablearmflailingtubeman.com/
I was gonna say Heron when I first saw your photo but obviously it isn't.

Closed lad accounts x 3ish?
Goldry Bluszco
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
And, as into the tiny creek
We stole beneath the hanging crag,
We saw three queer, black, ugly birds—
Too big, by far, in my belief,
For guillemot or shag—
Like seamen sitting bolt-upright
Upon a half-tide reef:
But, as we neared, they plunged from sight,
Without a sound, or spurt of white

Stay well away from it.

pony
Ariyeo
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As a single animal, would it really do that much damage to the fish stocks?
Slightlyoutofit
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ He spends all day fishing.
The little bastard is in Cormorant Heaven. If I don't get rid of him soon, he's going to be too fat to fly away.

Ariyeo
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

MMMMmmmm dinner time...
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

he/she will go on until they are all gone.
As this one did Wink Will swim underwater for minutes to get the last one!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What about pond netting. Its very popular here for small ponds. They have them up to 200' X 50'.

http://www.cascadenets.com/barrier_netting.php?gclid=CLfY3PSWx5QCFRIuagodBCfQjw
Cannon netting works too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX-8WIg6LMI&feature=related

Substitute fish for Doritos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rad8fhue3Xg&feature=related

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
Rorschach
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When I used to manage a property that had ponds and a problem with herons, we put up a model of a hawk that seemed to do the job, for a while at least.

Some friends of mine have a pond and again in order to scare off the herons they have some sort of automatic system that covers the pond either with a laser or ultrasonic beam which when broken triggers a sudden burst of water which scares them away. The pond is much smaller than yours though and I gusss if the bird dives from above it might be below water by the time the spray got near it.

A shotgun is my recommendation.

BRUNO HAYFORD: "you are an eel, 75% negative, 10% positive, 10% amorphous and 5% blank"
kleindoofy
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Before:

After:

You know he wants it. Wink
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Rorschach,
Herons have to walk into the water so a simple (electric) fence does the job there, cormorants as you said can land on the water or dive straight in. They can be tamed and put to work for you though. Japanese fishers use them to fish for them. I don't know if they are protected over there though.
@Gnasher
Quote:
Unusual to see them so far inland
They are common here, 1500 miles from the ocean in South East Alberta. Or are there two kinds salt and fresh water ones?

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They're protected here too so blasting him isn't really an option.
At the moment, we've decided to just set the dogs on him every time he lands. They can get down to the lake in about 30 seconds so he won't have time to do much if we let them go as soon as he lands. They can probably hit him and scare him away before he makes his first dive, so hopefully he'll get the message that there aren't going to be as many free dinners as there have been over the last couple of days.

I'll give the laser pen thing a go tomorrow afternoon if he ignores the dogs.

bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just for fun, a remote controlled electric speed boat should make him move fast and give you (and your kids) a healthy hobby away from the computer Laughing Just bubbling idea's here Wink

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

In the northeast US, we sometimes have issues with Canada Geese all year and the golf corses can't stand them(They poo all over the place). The golf courses activly hire out dogs to chase them away. I knew someone who did this and he was saying that when they chase the geese, they'll fly to the next golf course. Then they'll hire him to chase the geese off who'll fly to the next course...around in circles over time and the dog owner is raking it all in.

"When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction." - Cathartic Kate

IF YOU MEET THIS MAN ON GROUND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RAIN ABUSES ON HIM...I WOULD ADVICE YOU READ AND TRY TO UNDERSTAND HIS E-MAILS VERY WELL BEFORE YOU START INSULTING HIS PERSONALITY. - Rev. Niklas

Thank you for your Undiluted Assictance and we hope to have a Lasting business relationship with you. - Hou Weijun

YOU ARE A F***ING BASTERD!!! - [Account reported] Dr. John E. Telex/Foreign Remitance Department

<a href="/forum/viewtopic.php?t=159622">Getting into collecting accounts from ASEMs? For a breakdown of a simple example bait: Click Here</a>
Gold Hat
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Slightlyoutofit wrote:

No. I don't want to shoot him and no, I don't have a cat big enough to take him on. Any ideas?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic