SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Laptops

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bokku Ga Kira
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So, I'm about to go off to the university this upcoming year, and it's -highly- recommended that one have their own laptop. At present, I just have a desktop computer at home.

I've save up around $500 so far, and my parents owe me another $500 or so for certain jobs I've done for them over the summer, so that comes to around $1000 total (about 500 British Pounds I think). So does anyone have any suggestions for a decent laptop in that price range?
Simba
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd be interested to know what Laptop can be recommended, because I have to take a few with me to Nigeria next week.... Wink

Safari=Mr Yetonde-Sierra Leone to Accra
Safari=Mr Jiullus-Abidjan to Accra to Kumasi to Tamale
Safari=Mr Dandy-Abidjan to Monrovia-SSC Liberia
Safari=Mr Mandela-Jo'burg to Maun-SSC Botswana
Safari=Mr Danka-Dakar to Bangul-SSC Gambia
Safari=Mr Twumasi-Accra to Cotonou-SSC Benin
Safari=Mr Gomer-Lagos to Douala to Parakou-SSC Cameroon & SSC Benin
SafariSafariSafari=Mr Chukwu-Lome to Accra to Koforidua. Lome to Lagos. Lome to Cotonou.

Ivory Coast Nigeria Sierra Leone Somolia Liberian Flag Gambia South Africa Kenya Angola Flag Guinea Bissau Burkina Faso Ghana Mali cameroon Benin Senegal Togo
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

One of these little beauties is at the top of my wish list when funds allow:

Asus Eee PC 901

If it's LADS you want. GoTo: http://www.yopmail.com/
and sign in with either ladmail or kentbrockman
someoneorother
Wannabe Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I bought an ASUS Eee 701 back in January - the original model with Linux and the 7" screen. It's more than good enough for web browsing and typing, although I wouldn't recommend it for sole use (i.e. without a desktop at home/office) as the screen is pretty small.

The 901 looks sweet - longer battery life, faster, more RAM, bigger screen; the only problem is that it's more expensive.

<<i>insert mechanical breathing here</i>>
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry to snatch your thread for a minute BGK. Wink

^ @ someoneorother, Should I go for M$ or Linux? I was leaning towards linux. With windows you lose 4gig of memory. Is connecting by wireless easy in most places that allow it?

wayne
Account closed at users request

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I bought this laptop a few weeks ago and it's great once you clear off all the extra stuff HP put on it. I'm dual booting with Mandriva ONE and it detected everything except the modem straight away. Wireless connectivity is a breeze. It's pretty much a matter of clicking "next" a half dozen times and entering in the WAP password. Battery lasts for around 2 hours 20 minutes from full charge. The only problems I've found so far is that some bluetooth adaptors have problems with it (but that could just be that particular version of Linux - Kubuntu refused to run, but I'm a Mandriva man myself anyway), and the headset plugs are at the front of it, which I personally find awkward. I'd much prefer them to be on the side. But an old bluetooth adaptor and a USB headset fixed both problems at very little cost.

** Retired **

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I bought a Toshiba Equium A200 about 6 months back and it's excellent. It was about 500 pounds ($1000).
http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/jsp/seriesHomepage.do?service=UK&SERIES_ID=128462

A couple of months later I bought another Toshiba, an Equium L40 for less than 400 pounds ($800) as a second machine. It has a smaller hard drive, but it's still a good machine.
http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/jsp/seriesHomepage.do?service=UK&SERIES_ID=131894

If you are going to use it to watch films on, go for the better one as it has a bigger, better screen. If it's just for work and web, the smaller one is fine.

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"They made me to understand you are a Fraud Star" - Ikenna.
"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
"I will have you now I am highly reputable businness magnet." - Pam Doh
"Sorry,i do not know you are all that: a destitute and nuts" - Ben Chris
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What are you going to use it for? If you are just going to type papers and surf the interwebz why not look at a cheap, older used one. I recently bought an older Dell Inspiron 1150 that I snatched for $50 US. I upgraded the RAM to 512 MB for $20 and run Puppy Linux (After the HD containing XP died, now I run Puppy off of a USB stick). It is a great basic computer for the above mentioned uses. Then you can save the rest of the money for beer.

If you are using it for graphic intensive stuff (ie: Photoshop) then you may need a new fancy one.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Wayne
I've just bought my daughter one of those. It took longer to uninstall the bits and bobs ( like Norton ) than to get it going.
(Got AVG and Spybot on it now.)
She seems very happy with it especially with the built in webcam
See they've got them in some Tesco stores as well as online. They've also got a 1GB model for just under £300.
I also got the laptop bag with optical mouse for £15
music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd go with Pastor Franks modality. Puppy Linux works very well with old laptops and with 512Mb of RAM it'll do enough for most students. The Puppy forum is also very good for help with problems.

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
Rodus
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Macbook, I think Apple's doing some kind of educational deal at the moment and you can run OS X, Linux and Windoze all on the same machine if needs be.

u can keep sending money to Gomer and leave me alone - Agent Smith cracks up

Pith Helmet Lou1s Mar1on - Lagos to Accra (satellite IP) - "so, what i need to do to get out of these place?"
Sand Timer - 18 mths: Louis

starstar

The*Catb1ngo Hotel*
*My Church*

pony pony pony Nurse Nastys Audi TT Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mortar x23 Closed lad accounts
Simba
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

windypops wrote:
One of these little beauties is at the top of my wish list when funds allow:

My lads think these are great and want one each. Thanks for the tip.... Very Happy

Safari=Mr Yetonde-Sierra Leone to Accra
Safari=Mr Jiullus-Abidjan to Accra to Kumasi to Tamale
Safari=Mr Dandy-Abidjan to Monrovia-SSC Liberia
Safari=Mr Mandela-Jo'burg to Maun-SSC Botswana
Safari=Mr Danka-Dakar to Bangul-SSC Gambia
Safari=Mr Twumasi-Accra to Cotonou-SSC Benin
Safari=Mr Gomer-Lagos to Douala to Parakou-SSC Cameroon & SSC Benin
SafariSafariSafari=Mr Chukwu-Lome to Accra to Koforidua. Lome to Lagos. Lome to Cotonou.

Ivory Coast Nigeria Sierra Leone Somolia Liberian Flag Gambia South Africa Kenya Angola Flag Guinea Bissau Burkina Faso Ghana Mali cameroon Benin Senegal Togo
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

windypops wrote:
Sorry to snatch your thread for a minute BGK. Wink

^ @ someoneorother, Should I go for M$ or Linux? I was leaning towards linux. With windows you lose 4gig of memory. Is connecting by wireless easy in most places that allow it?
Linux. I could fire off my usual spiel about software freedom and soforth, but there's a much more convincing reason to go with the Linux version (other than the extra storage space). The Linux distribution installed on the eeePC is specially fine-tuned to run on the eeePC. That means it's not got drivers for stuff it doesn't need, and has exactly the drivers for stuff it does (including wireless card, you shouldn't have any problems with that). If you go with Windows, you get stock Windows XP, most likely (please correct me if I'm wrong) bundled with power management/wireless utilities that run on top of the already bloated system. Hope that helps your decision.

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^ Cheers mate Thumbs up
I'm keen to get a computer with linux up and running.
This is the perfect solution for me. Wink

simpsonman3000
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Bokku

I've heard that Acer laptops are pretty good, and they're dirt cheap (sub-$500)

@Simba

Will you show us where that lad laptop deal goes?

HEY YOU OLD DISEASED SLAPPER I KNOW YOU F**K ANYTHING AND SUCK EVERYTHING HEARD YOUR C**T IS SO BIG NOW EVEN A HORSE CANT FILL IT!!! ENJOY IT AND HOPE YOU GETS AIDS YOU DISEASED MUGA BASTARD!!!- Some lad got pissed when I called him a slut.
The Man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Acer usually has crappy battery life, but if that is not important to you it will be a good basic lappy at a good price.

I have an HP Compaq and love it. Wifey has an HP with their extra special lappy screen (forget what they call it) and her colors are WAY better than mine, but she does a lot of photoshop stuff so she needs it. I process text and post on the eater so I don't care Smile

Battery life on mine is 2hrs plus with the standard no frills battery.

YOU ARE A CHILD OF SATAN WITH YOUR HUNGRY DIRTY BODY ,TUNDER FIRE YOU BIG HEAD IDIOT !!! HA HA HA HA HA

IS THIS HOW YOU DECIDED TO TREAT US AFTER ALL WE WENT THROUGH?YOU MADE US TRAVELLED TO ABUJA AND INDEBTED US.

"Cursed is your mother that gave birth to a family-disgrace like you. Cursed is your father he could not control his lust for anything under skate"

"hey u crakhead motherf*cking nitwit, from the way u express the cockamamy sh*t that ur dumb brain is made up of it's so obvious that u never really made it past elementary school but anywayz dogs don't have to go to school afterall."

Pith Helmet (Lagos to Abuja)
Netherlands China Canada x2 United Kingdom Spain Ivory Coast Germany

Hello Kitty! <---in lieu of a brownie. TS
Mortar x8
remmy223
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i would give a IBM Lenovo a good look at.
good solid machines and excellent battery life(thats if you dont keep it connected to the mains with the battery connected to the lappy)
Embarassed

you are bauitfull i will show the picture to my kid

Death man walking.
Click here to support 419Eater.com
windypops
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^ Rem, They never tell you in the instructions to take the battery out when running on mains. Take the battery out as it's constantly being charged and run down because most lappies default to using the battery as the primary power source.

@Simba, Your lads will love em'. As they are so small and cheap you can send them two for the price of one. Getting them to promise one to someone else will ensure some earache when they don't materialise.

happytimes
** SUSPENDED **

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well for your case you can have a look at the apple macbook, apple is offering some discount for students, and you can also consider getting a Dell, they are quite reliable and now have some sales also.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic