SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Is it scam?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
sgambo
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi all,
I'm new about the scam and I'd like to know if my story is related to it Smile

Here is my story:

I recently posted a topic on some boards because I decided to sell my Panasonic Plasma TV.

After a few days, I received several emails from very far users (I'm in Italy, they are in SouthAfrica) telling me they wanted to buy my item.

I answered to some of them and they asked for my personal datas sending me emails like this:

Quote:
Thanks for the mail......Am very glad to read from and it is a pleasure ........ and i want you to know that the item is mostly needed in west Africa for my friend who went for program there is will be very happy if you can kindly act fast because the item is needed as matter of urgent so i will like you to kindly get back to me with your full bank details arrange below.....

Full Name........
Bank Name........
Account Number...........
Iban................
State..........
City............
Country............

so i will like you to kindly get back to me fast so i can forward your details for the payment because i have contact my bank about this and here is the shipment address below......

Name....Adegoke Adebayo
Address........ Dupe Photo Dogo Bus Stop Apata
State...Oyo
City...Ibadan
Country........Nigeria
Zip Code.......23402
Phone Number...+2348054586401

so kindly get back to me fast with you details so that i can forward it for the payment so do act fast and i want the shipment by FedEx Or UPS so kindly let me know the total cost for the shipment.i hope you understand....Good Seller..God bless Thanks
Joak

I don't understand how this kind of scam works, he's not asking for money in any way but he wants to pay for my item before sending...

Anyone can explain me?

Thanks a lot Wink
lotta
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi and welcome to eater Very Happy

What he'll do is send you a check or money order, for more than the amount you are asking for the item. He will then instruct you to send the overage, to his "shipper" via Western Union. The check will be fake.

Nigeria bank kills South Africa Netherlands Netherlands United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Spain Spain Spain United Arab Emirates
star star
Mortar Nurse Nastys Audi TT Mc Fry

Alan James Watson (AKA Bi Gal, AKA Big Al, AKA De Master Yoda) -2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 "Doos of the year" award winner

Frederick Fokker:
"I am giving you about a month to get your act together, i am cutting you and the eater a bit of slack"
Dec 11, 2007

Elton Purple Flower Black Ribbon Flying Monkey
smartbomb
** Retired **

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

like lotta said, it stinks of a cheque scam.

Well done for seeing this bullsh*t for what it is and signing up and posting it for us to see so we could give you the assurances you sought.

Others arent so level-headed.

Ivory Coast x8 United Kingdom x49 Spain x5 Nigeria x6 United States x3 Switzerland Netherlands x3 Turkey Estonian Flag x10 Malaysia x4 Ukraine Denmark Ghana x2 Russia Indonesia Thailand Germany France x2 Benin x4 Togo United Arab Emirates South Africa x2 Australia Canada Iraq Flag China United Nations
pony Mortar x7 Closed lad accounts a few
Click Here for Free Wigs !

i am no more a baby for going through this kind of stress for 200 pounds. : Hammed - Another satisfied MT7N S3cur3 customer.
l will never lose my leg in Jesus name.......ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeen l can see that you are totally MAD, FUCK YOU TOO!!!!! : Mr Yusuf
Simba
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It stinks to high heaven sgambo and is a classic 'overpayment' scam.

There are two variations on a theme:
First scenario, the scammer sends you payment for far more than you expect. He explains the mistake and asks you to send the goods along with the refund of his overpayment.

You then find that his original payment was a fake, and you have not only sent him your goods, but also a sizeable refund.

The second scenario is that a 'correspondent' bank contact you saying that their customer has made a payment to you, but before they are able to release funds, you must send the goods to their customer.
The 'correspondent' bank is really the same scammer using a different Email address.

Hope that convinces you that this is a transaction that you don't want to touch with a broomstick... Very Happy

Also, pop his address into a google search, and see what you come up with: Dupe Photo Dogo Bus Stop Apata

Safari=Mr Yetonde-Sierra Leone to Accra
Safari=Mr Jiullus-Abidjan to Accra to Kumasi to Tamale
Safari=Mr Dandy-Abidjan to Monrovia-SSC Liberia
Safari=Mr Mandela-Jo'burg to Maun-SSC Botswana
Safari=Mr Danka-Dakar to Bangul-SSC Gambia
Safari=Mr Twumasi-Accra to Cotonou-SSC Benin
Safari=Mr Gomer-Lagos to Douala to Parakou-SSC Cameroon & SSC Benin
SafariSafariSafari=Mr Chukwu-Lome to Accra to Koforidua. Lome to Lagos. Lome to Cotonou.

Ivory Coast Nigeria Sierra Leone Somolia Liberian Flag Gambia South Africa Kenya Angola Flag Guinea Bissau Burkina Faso Ghana Mali cameroon Benin Senegal Togo
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Key phrases that usually mean scam:
Quote:
kindly act fast because the item is needed as matter of urgent
In fact he uses it twice.
Quote:
get back to me fast with you details so that i can forward it for the payment so do act fast
Gives the impression that you must hurry. Therefore you don't have time to realize the problems. They count on you wanting the money as soon as possible so you will jump at the chance.

He wants your bank details immediately. Not even try to get more information about the item (although I don't know what your ad looked like). He doesn't need those details.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
sheboppe
The Sparkly Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@sgambo - welcome to Eater. Very Happy

As the rest have said, it is a scam. More information on this and other types of scams can be found at our sister site ScamWarners.

| <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135992> Official Eater T-Shirts</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028> Premium Membership</a> | ScamWarners | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413> Forum Rules</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51> Baiting Tutorials</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118738> Baiting Help</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846> FAQs</a> |

star pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Mortar x22
Donato
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As others have said before it is a scam. He will send you more than the item is worth and explain this as either a)please pay my shipping agent via Western Union or Moneygram or sorry my mistake please send me (return) the extra via Western Union or Moneygram. Either way the cheques is fake and he is relying on you acting quickly and sending him some of your money, before your bank tells you the cheque is dodgy. The bank will then want their money back. A cheque can take up to six months to clear.

As for the item itself 99% of the time they don't even know what they are buying, let alone actually want it. They just want you to send them some money asap.

Well done on spotting it. Why not tell your friends about it too, then if they sell anything on-line they will know what to look out for. The advice on craigslist now states to "sell items locally".

pony Closed lad accounts - lots

<i><b>Free Pastor Frank!!!</b></i>
Wright B Hindyou
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

That made me bite an eyelid..... Smile

"bastard like you, I will kill you with my hand, son of nobody. May your soul rust in help." - Titi Andrew

"I trusted you very much without knowing that you are a drug addit person" - Emma Bambara

"THIS YOUR BEHAVIOR IS IRELEVANT AND CROSPOLOS CARACTER" - Madam Clarrise Keita.

"you must speak beter because we dont train mad people in this company." - Incredible Self-Baiting Pastor Joe
ronco
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Great rule of thumb...

If it contains (in any form)

Quote:
Full Name........
Bank Name........
Account Number...........
Iban................
State..........
City............
Country............

It's a scam

"JUST COME OUT STRAIGHT AND STOP BEATING BY THE BUSH, I KNOW $8000 IS A LOT OF MONEY" - Kelly-The famous zebra scammer Easter Egg 2012
Mr.Lad
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

Oh those crazy lads... Razz

"and i want to be with you so that we can have nice sex as gay ok dad i love it so well ok" - Prince Stephen Ogbede, turned bender by my character! Shocked
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic