SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Terry Pratchett Appreciation Thread

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
ChainYanker
Collecting TShirts the Hard Way

Location: Shouting "Fire!" in crowded theaters across America

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ I'd never even thought about the Watch motto until I found the "translation" on the Annotated Pratchett Files. The Files also pointed out that the Book of Ultimate Control in Eric has the initials MSDOS, and several other subtle jokes I can't remember.

FEMALE

"This deal does not have anything to do with religion because we are talking about $10.150 million us dollars" -Bangu Mali

"YOUR DEATH IS AT HAND HENCE YOU LEARNT HOW TO DOUBLE CROSS OTHER GUYMAN KEEP IT ON AND WATCH OUT" -Don Jack

"why is it that you dont believed that the unicorn is avaialabe" -Victoria Smith

"i have seen that you are not financially capable to handle this great opportunity maturedly" -Muhammad Bla1se

Earned a pony, earned a bun, still not sure what they mean --> pony
Kabuto Sama
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

"I know what you're thinking, punk. You are thinking, 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement... but being this is a .44 Magnum the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky?... Well, do ya, punk?! Make my day, punk!!!"

your father is a pig and your mother is a bicth.you are a bastad and you will die young.you shold ask your father where you bastad came from.South Africa is not for white.someday we will kill you all whites in africa and in south africa.up Zulu. -- the angry Zulu lad

you are a foolish Man that is why people like you dont achive good things in Life forget it if do not want to jelp this young Man
Asshole! - angry ghanaian "barrister"
MHK
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just bought "Going Postal", "Thud"and "Making Money". So i'm good for a weekend of discworld fun

tandenberg
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I know it's not discworld and not only by Pratchett, but Good Omens was a great read. I accidentally discovered Pratchett when I picked up a random book off the floor while chasing a stray ping-pong ball during my first tour in Iraq. The book was Sourcery. I loved it so much I ended up reading through Color of Magic and Light Fantastic in about three days total.

My favorite cahracter by far is the Librarian. And Rincewind's libido.
Newdonym
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just finished reading monstrous regiment again.

Nightwatch is my most read book of all time, but i'll agree that all of the mentioned books are also brilliant.

Think i might start thief of time now.
Kabuto Sama
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I discovered Terry Pratchett and the Discworld trough the computer games;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld_(computer_game)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld_2
Then I got curious about the author and read almost all the books.
Quite similar to what happened after I played Betrayal at Krondor and got curious about Raymond E. Feist.
Since the beginning of this thread, I re-read The Color of Magic, The Light Fantastic and Equal Rites, and right now I am halfway trough Mort.

your father is a pig and your mother is a bicth.you are a bastad and you will die young.you shold ask your father where you bastad came from.South Africa is not for white.someday we will kill you all whites in africa and in south africa.up Zulu. -- the angry Zulu lad

you are a foolish Man that is why people like you dont achive good things in Life forget it if do not want to jelp this young Man
Dog-botherer
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey, I just joined and I'm happy to see that I'm not the only Pratchett fan around Very Happy

I've got all the Discworld novels, except for Making Money which I haven't gotten around to buying yet. My favourite books are the ones about the Watch and my favourite character is, as you can probably tell by my name and avatar, Lord Havelock Vetinari.
Agi Hammerthief
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hello your Lordship

welcome to the forum

you may need a new avatar

http://forum.419eater.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2420

hug the trolls - maybe it will help them to stop being a worthless piece of trash

CellphoneCellphoneCellphoneCellphoneCellphone CellphoneCellphoneCellphone Cayman Islands United Kingdom x3 Nigeria
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
you may need a new avatar

Or to pick a user name and just stick with it. Wink

Please PM me which name you want; we don't allow duals here. Smile

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
mrsbean
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nelsonsbattle wrote:
Favourite character, definitely Lady Sybil Vimes !!! Behind every great man stands a greater woman. Vimes doesn't want to do anything but eventually he does, she gets her way.

Unless it's really important and he really, really insists, but that's a Married People Thing. (And I notice that generally seems to be on things that involve the nipper...) Just like swearing only the other person snores.

Quote:

A marriage is always made up of two people who are prepared to swear that only the other one snores. -- (Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant)

By the way, I'm beginning to suspect Sybil has a thing for legs. She's forever trying to convince Sam he has the calves for tights...

You know, I'm almost afraid of the possibility they might do a Watch movie at some point. I'm most afraid they would never cast a proper Sybil and the whole movie would collapse. Because if you don't believe this woman can smile the right way at a bunch of anthropoids in battered armor and make them feel like they just conquered a distant continent, well... then you just don't believe the whole thing.

Sybil had special character status with me for good at the bare bum slap in Guards! Guards!

Straightbait

Nifty anti-scam sites of interest
Artists Against 419 | Fraudwatchers |Scamomatic | Scampatroll Scam Victims United | Fake Checks Dot Org
ChainYanker
Collecting TShirts the Hard Way

Location: Shouting "Fire!" in crowded theaters across America

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Kabuto Sama wrote:
"I know what you're thinking, punk. You are thinking, 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement... but being this is a .44 Magnum the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky?... Well, do ya, punk?! Make my day, punk!!!"

No, no, no, it's "This is Lord Mountjoy Quickfang Winterforth IV, the hottest dragon in the city. It could burn your head clean off. Now I know what you're thinking. You're wondering, after all this excitement, has it got enough flame left? And y'know, I ain't so sure myself. What you've got to ask yourself is, am I feeling lucky? Well? Are you feeling lucky?"

On a slightly different note: I do not find many books that permenantly change the way I veiw something. But after reading Pyramids, I have never been able to think about the riddle of the Sphinx the same way again.

FEMALE

"This deal does not have anything to do with religion because we are talking about $10.150 million us dollars" -Bangu Mali

"YOUR DEATH IS AT HAND HENCE YOU LEARNT HOW TO DOUBLE CROSS OTHER GUYMAN KEEP IT ON AND WATCH OUT" -Don Jack

"why is it that you dont believed that the unicorn is avaialabe" -Victoria Smith

"i have seen that you are not financially capable to handle this great opportunity maturedly" -Muhammad Bla1se

Earned a pony, earned a bun, still not sure what they mean --> pony
Kabuto Sama
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ ChainYanker Laughing
Well, I was trying to highlight the original Dirty Vimes (oops, Harry that is).
Anyway, i find Sir Sam Vimes better that "Dirty" Callahan Harry.
And I hate being knurd, that's why I am AKA Sir Drinkalot.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic