SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Antivirus software - which? EDIT - Fixed

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Old No. 7
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Try looking at this
http://www.av-comparatives.org/index.html?http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/comparatives.html

Latest report shows only two are "Advanced+" - NOD32 and something else I can't remember.

Guess which AV I have on my Winblows machines?

200+ sites killed, from these countries => United Kingdom Netherlands Russia Nigeria Switzerland Ukraine South Africa Germany United States Canada Senegal Benin Spain Ghana Ivory Coast Cambodia Flag United Nations

pony pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar

Like my flags? Want some of your own? Let justjay teach you how to kill sites here (clicky).

Hobbes may have retired, but get his brilliant WriteJunk here (clicky) and never touch a .dll again

Proud to be a mouth-breather who posted a load of shit, disappeared into the night but mysteriously reappeared after a long absence
callum
Director of Press Relations

Location: On the run from the asylum and this seems like a good place to hide. Blend right in...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the link, the reports make for interesting comparisons. The other one you mention is AVIRA which gets top marks. Hmmm...

x 2 teeny part of a large effort Mortar x29 Nurse Nastys Audi TT x5
Trolling is usually symptomatic of bad character, mental problems or ugliness - RIP Jock_2009
Kabuto Sama
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

In alphabetical order:
Avast
AVG
Avira
These are the best free antiviruses.
Personal opinion: Kaspersky is a shit, and my national antivir, BitDefender, although is very good, takes up too much resources and is slow.
In the last 2 years I had switched between AVG and Avira several times. Right now I am using Avira.
Avast is a good one too, I saw it in action on the computers of several friends of mine.
In the end, it comes down to personal preferences, so I might try Avast next time I reinstall Win XP.

your father is a pig and your mother is a bicth.you are a bastad and you will die young.you shold ask your father where you bastad came from.South Africa is not for white.someday we will kill you all whites in africa and in south africa.up Zulu. -- the angry Zulu lad

you are a foolish Man that is why people like you dont achive good things in Life forget it if do not want to jelp this young Man
Asshole! - angry ghanaian "barrister"
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I use to use AVG but I had some problems upgrading one time (I don't remember what exactly happened now) and switched to Avast. I like it. Seems unobtrusive, checks everything, updates a lot, very customizable. The only down side is that you have to register then wait for a key to be emailed to you to install it. Not a problem as it is only the first install.

I have heard that you should never buy an anti-virus program as they are not worth the money. The free ones work just as well.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
packman
Elite Baiter

Location: In his own little world but it's ok, they know him there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with DrWho on the not buying a AV I get better perfornance from the free ones, without all the extras they want to bundle in. plus I'm a cheap bastard.

The receipt you send is totally invisible ok-Kelly

FUCK YOU SMALL BOI YOU ARE POOR IN HEAD AND SOUL
AND GOD WILL PUNISH YOU FOR SCAMMING HOUNST MEN LIKE ME.. Segun Akintemi
Click here to support 419Eater.com
pony <-- I got a pony WAHOO Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x3
TemporalDistortion
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I use Avast and love it to bits but have found one problem, don't know if anyone else has experienced this but a full system scan can show nothing, but when you schedule a boot time scan (ie the scan runs before the OS loads completely, that can find the occasional nasty, now these may just be false positives but even so I opt for the boot scan everytime now just to err on caution Wink

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Normally I'd go with Avast, but when someone named "Shiver Metimbers" doesn't recommend "Avast" as numero uno, I figure something's gotta be up. Wink

Either that, or all those pirate puns ARRRRRRR starting to wear thin.
Agi Hammerthief
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

get a mac Razz

hug the trolls - maybe it will help them to stop being a worthless piece of trash

CellphoneCellphoneCellphoneCellphoneCellphone CellphoneCellphoneCellphone Cayman Islands United Kingdom x3 Nigeria
callum

Location: On the run from the asylum and this seems like a good place to hide. Blend right in...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

System/Operator FOOBAR!

My wife is about to kill me for the following reason;

Step 1 - Download free trials
Step 2 - Locate risky free instructions and tool for removing Norton
Step 3 - Follow instructions, completed succesfully and without problems which includes 2 registry cleans with reboots (I use CCleaner)
Step 4 - Perform final registry clean and reboot
Step 5 - Discover on reboot system FOOBAR!

The last registry clean has screwed something up. I backed up changes to the registry with each clean and although I can start the computer using the XP CD and enter the recovery console mode, I can see the backup files but do not have rights to them.

Even if I could access the backup's, I have no idea how to go about repairing the registry.

However I am due for a HDD upgrade. Can I install a new HDD as a master, carry out a fresh XP install, and access all the data on the existing HDD's which will be slave units?

Or any other suggestions?

Trolling is usually symptomatic of bad character, mental problems or ugliness - RIP Jock_2009

Last edited by callum on Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nailgunner
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Callum: pretend this is true, if it turns out it is then you will be crowned in glory and if not it will buy you time to run.

Happy and comfortable with AVG Very Happy I tried Norton but it was like sharing a barrel with an amateur proctologist who never sleeps and talks incessantly and WILL NEVER EVER DIE, AND WORST OF ALL CHARGES YOU FOR HIS INSULTS *cough* sorrry, bad memories, must lie down v tired.

Kabuto Sama
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Callum
No need to do a fresh install of Window$.
You can use Partition Magic (or a similar program) to simply COPY your existing partitions on another HDD.
It is quite easy, I've done it meself several times.
Wink The right tool for the right job.

your father is a pig and your mother is a bicth.you are a bastad and you will die young.you shold ask your father where you bastad came from.South Africa is not for white.someday we will kill you all whites in africa and in south africa.up Zulu. -- the angry Zulu lad

you are a foolish Man that is why people like you dont achive good things in Life forget it if do not want to jelp this young Man
Asshole! - angry ghanaian "barrister"
Stoker Thompson
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

First off have you tried "Last known good config"?

This usually works for me:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

If you want to be more 'hands on' you could try this method:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/

. . . . . . Well, actually after reading through that post I'd opt for Plan A.
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't think a partition move would help because from what I read it's not having a problem accessing the partition.

Nor do I think a fresh install would be best because either you start from scratch or you copy the user profile - which takes you back to where you are now.

LKGC may be worth a try, but for my money I'd either back up and then replace the sam, system, security, software and default files or use the Ultimate Boot CD to do a system restore.

Or, if you can boot to safe mode, do a system restore from there. Try that first.

And you've just confirmed my prejudice against registry cleaners!

Purple Flower
Elphy Bey
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have used ESET NOD32 Antivirus for the past 2 years after getting fed up with Norton bloatware.

There are two options with NOD32:

1 - ESET NOD32 Antivirus
(£26.99 for 1 Year)(£38.99 for 2 Years)(£54.99 for 3 Years)

2 - ESET Smart Security (NOD32 Antivirus plus antispyware, antispam and a customized firewall)
(£39.99 for 1 Year)(£60.00 for 2 Years)(£84.99 for 3 Years)

I have never used the free Antivirus programs out there so I am unable to comment on them. But if you are happy to pay then get NOD32.
callum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I'm back up and running and all data is intact. Very Happy

Working through the MS knowlege base article on recovering from a corrupted registry didn't fix the problem (System Restore was unable to find a suitable restore piont, but apparently that's quite normal Rolling Eyes ). But it did allow me to boot into XP Safe Mode and make sure all data and critical profile info etc was safely copied and tucked away.

Then a complete format and fresh install, now with the NOD32 trial version installed (so far I'm impressed) and just about all my software reinstalled and configured as it should be. System runs noticeably quicker now as well, not that I had a lot of crap in the background before, but Norton must have really dragging it down. Even broadband performance seems to be better when downloading all the latest updates.

Thanks to Rover and lotta for allowing me to run my proposed recovery methods past you. Ended up being a good learning experience rather than a complete eff up!

Old No. 7
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Callum,

Don't know if you've got the old, complex-to-set-up NOD with the separate modules (2.7) or the new one, which I've been told has a better interface (3.0?), but it's worth joining here http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15 and reading this http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509

I use Blackspear's settings on my version of NOD; I'm not going to chance my arm by quoting how long it's been since I had an infection, but................

200+ sites killed, from these countries => United Kingdom Netherlands Russia Nigeria Switzerland Ukraine South Africa Germany United States Canada Senegal Benin Spain Ghana Ivory Coast Cambodia Flag United Nations

pony pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar

Like my flags? Want some of your own? Let justjay teach you how to kill sites here (clicky).

Hobbes may have retired, but get his brilliant WriteJunk here (clicky) and never touch a .dll again

Proud to be a mouth-breather who posted a load of shit, disappeared into the night but mysteriously reappeared after a long absence
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic