SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

First time baiter...managed to get a shipping label?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
huzzah009
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So this guy contacted me through a Craigslist listing, and immediately noticed it was a scam by his second email. I switched over to a new email, new name, new story, etc, but stuck with that item (bad idea?). As far as I can tell, he has no idea what my original information was.

Below is the shipping label I managed to weasel out of him. Should I just drop this and walk away at this point, or what? Obviously, I don't want to endanger myself, so I'm tempted to let anyone else take it from here.

Lad's (is that the right term?) email address: email address removed - SB

Real name and info of scammer:
Gbolahan Lawal.
21 Jalan Geliga. Teman Connaught,
Cheras, Kuala Lumpur,
Malaysia 56000

(as far as I can tell -- this was information he gave to me, in addition to the San Diego address in the shipping label).
luckey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I switched over to a new email, new name, new story, etc, but stuck with that item (bad idea?).

I doubt there's a problem with that, half of the time, they have no idea what the item even is.

If I understand you correctly, that label is intended for you to ship your item to your scammer? If it's legit, it's probably a mule, but I wasn't able to find that name, and the phone number is disconnected. Most of the Craig's list scams I've seen are overpayment scams. They don't want the item, they just want you to cash a check and wire money back to them.

I don't see any reason to drop the bait. Judging from the return address on the label, it seems you have done a good job of hiding your true identity. Wink

huzzah009
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Full quote of above post removed - we can see it^^ - SB Wink

*whew* Good to know Wink I had quite a time coming up with that name and address.

The label is quite intended for me to ship my "item". It is completely legit, see for yourself. Anyone have suggestions on what I should ship instead?

Some back-story:

I came up with a story that I'm just a "poor, hardworking father" trying to sell this laptop so I can buy food for my daughter, since "my wife and I don't make enough to feed 3." Of course, I even included a picture of "me, my daughter, and my niece" (a crappy mid-80s photo of a guy and 2 kids).

It was a classic fake PayPal scam, where they sent a fake receipt and the money "would be released" upon getting a shipping confirmation. I came up with as many excuses as possible to get the lad to pay for the shipping:
Quote:
I thank you for providing me with shipping information. Unfortunately, the UPS near here isn't too friendly and they aren't too happy with me (I tried to ship a cat in a box once...when they figured that out, they were pretty angry. The cat was too.), so if I went there with someone else's name/account, they'd kick me right out of the store, guaranteed.

In that same email I included a story about the picture I sent (pointless, I know, but it was fun to write). It actually seemed to work.

After sending out that email I got this:
Quote:
i need your full address and name to fill the neccessary forms online to purchase the shipping label.And havig considered your beautifull childs plight, i have decided to purchase the shipping label and have the item shipped to me directly inorder to hasten and speed up the processing of your payment inot your account by paypal. However i need your name and full address inorder to state the palce that the shipment is comming from to UPS, so that proper charges can be calculated.
Send me your name and address asap, so that i can purchase and send you the shipping label now, so that you can have your money on time for your lovelly child's use

To which I replied my "name and address" (hah!), and got back a Next Day Air UPS label. Expensive label too -- $180 for it.

This lad is really quite scum, complimenting me on my daughter and yet still moving ahead. Oh well, now to find 29 lbs worth of junk! Very Happy
luckey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Anyone have suggestions on what I should ship instead?

I wouldn't use it. If it is real, you can be sure it's a stolen account, or paid for with a stolen credit card.

That said, be sure to tell him it's on it's way. Twisted Evil

sheboppe
The Sparkly Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@huzzah009 - I removed the email address that you posted for the scammer. It's against forum rules to post an email address without the letter or correspondence that contained it because of abuse. We have had the email addresses of ITP's (Innocent Third Parties) posted maliciously as lad's addresses and these people got abused. There were ex-spouses email addresses posted and others... you get the idea. This rule is to prevent abuse.

If you want to repost it within the rules, you are welcome to do so. Very Happy

| <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135992> Official Eater T-Shirts</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028> Premium Membership</a> | ScamWarners | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413> Forum Rules</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51> Baiting Tutorials</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118738> Baiting Help</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846> FAQs</a> |

star pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Mortar x22
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic