SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

A new twist, I replied to a job on Craigslist

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
glassglass
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I replied with a resume to what looked like a legitimate job posting on Craigslist. I got a follow up letter this morning and it is a 419 scam. Now they have way too much of my personal information!

I am not a total dummy when it comes to scams, but I am really disappointed to know that they are baiting on a job board...hitting me when I am down.

Sad

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just today I read a story about a local woman who was scammed on a (usually trustworthy) dating website. Like in your case, they try to get people who are down, e.g. without a job, without a partner, etc. It is a mean, mean business! I hope you can get over it and find a job soon! Thumbs up

Safari = Rev T0UR3Y - From Conakry GV to Monrovia LI and environs (960km) - 5imba Liberia Camp - "my friend who is with me sold his shoes and telephone to enable us go back to Monrovia since there is no money left for us" (current status: still in Monrovia, but nothing interesting is happening)

[ <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125498">Eater University</a> - <a href="http://formcentre.download.your-mail.com/">Forms</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028">Premium</a> - <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=142769>Tools</a>]
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't know how much info they have, but check/inform your bank/credit cards and report it as possible ID theft so your financial @$$ is covered.
Think about changing your phone number, block them from your email and let it die. They won't spend a lot of time on you when you refuse to answer them and they go on to other victims, so spread the word, family, friends and Craigslist of course.
Check your credit again and keep doing it every week for at least three months to prevent surprises. Also check all info the bank/credit company has on you, they can send the bank a notice, (in your name) that you moved and you'll never know what hit you later when you find that out.
I'm glad you caught on to it so soon, but it's still $#@$@ that they managed to fool you in the first place, tell your family how and why and prevent them from making the same mistake.

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am pretty lucky that I didn't give and information besides address, phone and employment.....no SS# or anything like that.
I appreciate you taking the time to read my post.
Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^If that's the case, you have nothing to worry about. Ignore them and they'll move on... sooner or later.

I'm guessing this was a job cashing checks for a commission? If so, there is no such job. No legitimate company would need an individual to cash checks for them. Any job that asks you to cash checks and send money back is a scam.

glassglass
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They posted a legitimate looking ad for an administrative assistant giving a local location. They replied saying that position was filled, but an accounting position was open...all I would have to do is receive checks....and the same old story. Rolling Eyes

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SO upsetting. You are looking for a job, using a local "Craigslist" search, you answer an ad for a local location sending a resume for consideration. The ad looked good, no miss-spelled words etc. A few days later, they reply saying the job is filled, but there is another.
I know about these scams, but they still got me!
I wouldn't reply again, seeing that it is a scam..... I often wonder how people are stupid enough to fall for their lines, but now they made me feel stupid and I am not a happy camper.
If they can get me to reply, it makes me wonder how many people they will get with this scam.
I posted it in the "Surplus Letters" forum.
Embarassed

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It cost them $25 to post the employment ad on Craigslist!

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

glassglass wrote:
Now they have way too much of my personal information!

Binned probably. They were only interested in email addresses. They didn't even use it to personalise their reply, which was addressed to "Dear Applicant". And which asked for it again from anyone who expressed interest in a cheque cashing job.
The webmail address "[email protected]" says this was a scam.
glassglass
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When replying to a job offering on Craigslist, you don't see the real email address...it is a reply-to forward.

Looks like a real ad, no misspelled words etc. No "giveaway" reply to address.

They paid to place the ad, making it look more legitimate.

Now I can't apply to job offerings via email without wondering who I am really sending the information to!

Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

glassglass wrote:
I often wonder how people are stupid enough to fall for their lines, but now they made me feel stupid and I am not a happy camper.

Let's see, how can I explain this...

glassglass also wrote:
If they can get me to reply, it makes me wonder how many people they will get with this scam.

There you go, well said. Wink

These scams work well on people who need jobs, but don't know much about how legitimate businesses operate, or how banking systems work. They generally are not stupid, just uninformed.

Feel free to report the add to Craig's list. They will probably take it down, and you might save a few people from getting scammed. Very Happy

bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As we live in the middle of nowhere we use the internet all the time, but don't give personal info until we have a reply, checked that out and had telephone contact with the person on the other side. And then we still like to visit the company in person.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

glassglass wrote:
When replying to a job offering on Craigslist, you don't see the real email address...it is a reply-to forward.

I didn't know that. It sounds like something that Craiglist should address. Not knowing who you are emailing strikes me as a serious flaw.
luckey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^For sussing out scammers, perhaps. For keeping members off of spam lists, and protecting them from getting harassed by nutters, it's a good thing.

glassglass
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You can use the auto-mailer, list a return email, or phone number...it's up to the poster. Most company's do list a HR email address, but not all.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Craigslist is infested with scammers Crying or Very sad where they have a limitless supply of potential victims. I would be very circumspect about providing any personal information until I could be absolutely sure the 'job' was genuine. Glad you realised before it was too late and good luck in finding something.

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
OldBaglady
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

glassglass wrote:
It cost them $25 to post the employment ad on Craigslist!

No, it doesn't. They use stolen credit cards! Craig's List should be notified immediately so they can pull the ad and close the account.

I have had stinkin scammers offer me 'good' credit card numbers for as little as $10 each - WU of course. Me, they'd steal my own bank or CC information and not deliver, but you can bet the bastards are trading amongst each other.

Last month I was baiting a lad who tried to get me into a multi-level marketing scheme operating just under the radar here in the US. I didn't go for it so he signed me up anyway as his downline. Then he signed up a bunch of other (probably) victims under me and paid for their membership with a stolen CC. My membership was paid with a stolen CC too. I had to do a lot of explaining to the CEO of the company who phoned me personally!

When I confronted the lad and asked him what the hell he was thinking??!!, he confessed that it was his 'friend's' card. Yeah right.

My agent had a tribble actident.. he die on the process. ~M0s3s Ih3kw04b4

We two make compactible lovers. ~B!ll!e Vl4d!m!r J0nes

pony

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor hell a fury like a woman scorned." ~ William Congreve (1697)
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well at least they din't fleece you like the poor lass in this story sunday Mail
glassglass
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The ad was already reported to Craigslist, they have not removed it.
Sad

Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh dear... take a look at the sponsored links on that site Nanny Ogg linked to. Somehow I really find it tragic that an article about job scamming actually has a bunch of 100% risky free job ads right next to it...

examples:

Work from Home - Earn $200+ Per Day No Experience Required - Start Now!
www.dataentry-worldwide.com
Data Entry from Home

Earn $200/day Working 30-45 Minutes No Experience OK. Simple Data Entry
DataEntry.Wannexllc.com

Stuff like that can really piss me off.

Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This sounds like one, too. I was too lazy to check. Sorry!

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/sls/726061329.html
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic