SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Another possible scam??

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Gabby
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi i am selling my car at the moment and have it advertised on various sites. I have gotten ''obvious'' scam e mails about it, basically they are not interested in the car, they send on a fake bank draft of more than the amount for the car, and ask me to send back the difference. I am told by the bank that the draft cleared, but obviously didnt, in that time i send back genuine money. But thank God i didnt fall for that.
This other Mail i got(through one car website) was from a girl in France. Am i allowed to copy and paste it up here?
She also mailed on an ID card of herself and im not so sure about this. She said she is coming to work here and her new company allowed her to pick out a car and they pay for it.
Any advice appreciated.
mrsbean
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Gabby wrote:
She said she is coming to work here and her new company allowed her to pick out a car and they pay for it.

Same scam, more than likely, different story.

She'll claim her "employer" will be sending you a check/money order/some form of payment, and it will be fake. Of course, they'll probably just "happen" to overpay, and you'll be asked to send the excess to her/someone at the company.

Then the payment bounces and you're stuck.

In my experience, no one sends you an ID because they're interested in buying your car, and anyone who has to tell you an elaborate story about why they're buying the car and who will be paying for it (i.e. not them, but an employer, a purchasing agent, or their rich uncle Bob, what have you...) is a scammer.

And yes, you're allowed to post the message, but it would probably be best to remove any information that refers to the real you, including your email address, before you do.

Straightbait

Nifty anti-scam sites of interest
Artists Against 419 | Fraudwatchers |Scamomatic | Scampatroll Scam Victims United | Fake Checks Dot Org
Gabby
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok thanks for your reply MrsBean:
First Mail:

Hi,
I am so happy to hear from you. The thing is I am a french woman and I have to move in you country because of my work, and I need a car there ( right wheel like yours). I need it before the 1 of july ( that is the day when the company where I work will give me the money for the car). So I need to find and reserve a car before that date. I liked your car and the price is around the amount that my company aproved . So I will be able to buy it.
So could you keep me the car untill the 1st of july ? I will send you 1000 euros in advance if necessary, so that you can be sure that I will buy it. And you also have to tell me how would you like to be payed .
Just I want you to confirm me that the car is OK, that it has no problem with the engine, if it needs any repair or....if there is any problem of any kind.
If the car is ok and you agree to keep it for me, I will buy it.
Please let me know as soon as possible, so that I arange everything as soon as possible.
Thank you

Second Mail:

Hello,

I learned a new word in english today:SCAMMER.
I am not such thing, I don't imagine why you thought of this, I haven't asked you for money and I have no intention to do that.My intentions are to buy your car, that is all.
My question is: will you keep me the car untill I get the money or not?
I have to know if I should look for another car or not.
If you accept to kee it for me , I will need copies of the car documents ,so that I make my demand for the money to my company. I allready know that they will aprove that amount and this is just a formality.
Please send me the copies as soon as possible so that I deal with this fast, maybe I can get the money before the 1st of july.
Here is a copy of my identity card, so that you know who you are making bussiness with.
(Excuse me if my english is not so good, I will improve it when I will move there)
On the 1st of july ( or mybe earlier if it will be possible) ,we will meet , I will pay you and you will give me the car.
I even asked you what kind of payment do you prefere. I will come in person and pay you, tell me the method of payment that you prefere.

Emmanuelle

I replied to her saying, give me the name of the company she is to work for here and ill organise it through them(call her bluff)
No reply as of yet!
Gabby
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Also thing i noticed is the same writing technique used along with the other scammer i got. :

Hello,
Thanks for your swift response, I'm so glad to hear from you and would say that am really interested in buying your CAR and i will be happy if you can sell it to me, It's what i have been searching for for the last 6 months and thanks for everything.

Please help me take good proper care of it because i know by now its mine.And right now the month is drawing down to an END and i can see that i finally got one.

Please kindly send more pictures if available and if not its okay, I would have love to come and see it myself but due to the nature of my job and where i live' i won't be able to come down I'm from Hawaii in United State,But i live by the sea side and work as a SAILOR. I always come every 4 Months and travel back to my place of work in Belfast UK.

Pls kindly get back with your final asking price and i will be glad to issue out the payment to you which will be in bank draft/check for the payment. If you are okay with my arrangement, pls kindly get back to me with the following detail's

FULL NAME:

ADDRESS:

ZIPCODE:

MOBILE NUMBER:

FINAL PRICE:

I await your response soon, Thank's and GOD bless you and your family
OldBaglady
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Gabby. Welcome.

Yeah, it sure does sound like a new version of the same old scam. Do you know how to check email IP addresses? If her IP resolves to anywhere but France, you can be 100% certain it's a scam.

Find how your email service shows the IP address or header of sender emails and then copy and paste the results here: http://headertool.apelord.com/. That will show you the trail the email took to get to you. The last one is the sender's location. Sometimes it's not available because the sender is using a satellite connection or proxy, but in the case of selling something, that's even more reason to suspect a scam.

You could post her email here, but don't post her ID pictures. That might fall into other scammy hands for use again. We don't want that. Wink

My agent had a tribble actident.. he die on the process. ~M0s3s Ih3kw04b4

We two make compactible lovers. ~B!ll!e Vl4d!m!r J0nes

pony

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor hell a fury like a woman scorned." ~ William Congreve (1697)
Gabby
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks OldBagLady, how do i check the IP Address from the E Mail, ?
OldBaglady
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Which email do you use? They're all a bit different. Look around on the page for a place to click that says show header or show IP or show original.

pony

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor hell a fury like a woman scorned." ~ William Congreve (1697)
Gabby
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It is Yahoo i have, the E Mail came from GMail. Do i click show full header?
Gabby
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Aha got it. Thanks OldBagLady, ye learn something new everyday! Love your Avatar btw!
OldBaglady
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If the sender is using gmail - unfortunately gmail is one of the few services that strips IP addresses. But like I said, THAT is another good reason to suspect a scam.

pony

Gabby
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It says the originating IP address is in the U.S?!?!
OldBaglady
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, that is where Gmail servers are located. That's all you'll get with gmail, I'm afraid. So you have to ask yourself, why doesn't this honest and upstanding car buying gal just use her French internet service provided email or even her company's email? The reason is probably because she is a he and he is in some west African country, probably Nigeria. It's a scam.

pony

Gabby
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Makes me so mad, well they are not gonna get me! I despise these people.
See what she comes back with about her company name, i feel like messing ''her'' around!!
Thanks so much for your help.
OldBaglady
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mess her around all you want but just be sure that your email addy cannot lead anyone back to who you really are in real life. Google yourself and see what you get. If the scammer can't get any real life info then have some fun.

Also know that if you do bait with your current email address, that address will soon be passed around to other scammers and you will be targeted for all sorts of scams. Don't use an account your attached to for any reason. I've had to toss several accounts because I couldn't keep up with the spam and scams.

I'm off to work now. Have fun baiting. Keep the scammers busy spinning their wheels and not getting paid!

pony

Gabby
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Will do thanks for the info, AFAIK my e mail address doesnt draw up anything about me.
sellingrich
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ask for a picture.

"May your anuse turn back." Joe Morengi
"You better run for your life, because the FBI are coming to your house tomorrow to kick your ass out of your house." Barr. Jonathan
Mr kelvin Jordon that call you from our branch office in canada explain that the chicken background voice has been querried, claiming the voice was his telephone ringing tone, therefore accept my deepest appology for that.
ParaNoid
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Gabby wrote:
Will do thanks for the info, AFAIK my e mail address doesnt draw up anything about me.

Hi and welcome to Eater! Very Happy

If your ad had anything that connects to your real life, I would drop this scammer from that address. Set up a faked up email address with none of your real life information in the profile, then from that email address proceed as if you had been talking with them all along. You don't even need to refer to your previous contact. Scammers reply to a lot of these messages at a time and won't remember if the "new" you is new of old.

Do read a bit here about baiting safe and have fun at the scammer's expense!

Parlez vous Francais? Wink

If you want to know if you can be found, PM a Mod with that request, or some of us like to see what we can find for newer members.

pony pony Closed lad accounts Goat Goat Goat Goat Sand Timer Easter Egg Easter 2015
Mortar x 4 <b>Looking for a Mentor? Click here</b>

"If I get mad at you, please just understand me. I am just being ParaNoid because I love you so much." - unknown

Visit www.scamwarners.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic