SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

I've been thinking about this for some time now...

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Standard Procedure
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My father's desktop has been overrun with adware and malware. It just happened out of nowhere one day, and now I'm just fed up with Windows in general. I'm ready to put Linux on my dad's desktop, and I was wondering how to go abouts doing that. I'm ready to format the C drive, so can anyone walk me through what to do next and beyond?

The following statement is true
The above statement is false
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would suggest downloading and burning a linux live cd such as Ubuntu. It will allow you to play with it without installing it and if you like it can install it. This will allow you to see how it works with his pc's components. If you like it, Ubuntu will step you through the entire install process.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Click

As OD said, run it as a live CD a few times and see if he likes it, then you can install it if you choose to. The same CD will walk you through the installation process.

Ubuntu is just one "flavor" of Linux, there are many other's to choose from, but Ubuntu is probably the most popular, and the easiest transition from a Windows world.

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

When I read the thread title, I thought you meant 'sex' Embarassed

Fight My Brute
music man
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

SP- welcome back!!

There is a halfway method you can try if you are not certain that Linux is right for your dad. Dual booting means you have both OS's on the PC and can choose at boot-time which one you want to use. Best guide I know for that is this one http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/

Good luck- your dad won't regret it!

Switzerland x2 Netherlands x2 Filipino flag United States x104 United Kingdom x213 Portugal x4 Spain x20 Belgium x4 Canada Hong Kong Italy x2 x1 France x2 Russia x2 Luxembourg Australia x2 Sweden x2 Czech Republic x2 Mortar x13

You will rot in jail.watch your back- any shadow could be mine ! YOU ARE VERY EASY TO TRACK IN YOU NEIGHBOURHOOD ! DRUNKARD AND A SCUMBAG LIKE YOU!
mike lawrence (cheque scammer)

Go fuck your dead parents asshole!!!How can a deaf fool make clean money..The money that you have will never be spent on anything reasonable.
So fuck off..dont reply me again until the cops get your stinking ass...
Lyord Melson- cheque scammer
$4.002million and £214K in fake cheques taken out of circulation. (updated May 2009)
vaultdweller
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

People always blame Windows for everything, when they are too blind to figure that the pebcak.
But the serious issue is that linux is a path of nerdity that once you start down, forever it will dominate your destiny.
Do you really want to take that risk?

I have written Han because at Russian people so name beloveds. This word is meant by the leader. Also associates with force, courage, riches. Han this historical name of the man. Now I cannot write the big letter as I do not have money to the Internet. - N@t@ly@

'you most be a fool mother f*****' 'am not in a good mud now' 'i dont need can of man like you' -b3cky t|mmy

''lol ur my kid of huy will like too f*** u till u come - luvdoc

'yahoozeeeeeeeeeeeee' : secret word FOR SCAMMERS ONLY!
bigdrhu
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i bit the bullet and installed linux on my laptop... after a few flavours settled on kubuntu.
does what i want so far after a bit of playing around and finding me feet so to speak.
firefox for web browsing, theres various packages for IM programs, torrents, email. office, just takes a bit of time to find out what works for u, no antivirus needed, so far lol, no poups, malware, spyware... i'd recomend it
Standard Procedure
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My father is a prof and only needs the desktop to answer e-mails and write articles. The malware just popped up two weeks ago in force, and he always kept the computer clean. I taught him how to delete history, how to clean the harddrive, etc. but it just came.

My father is ok with linux being installed, but I'm wondering if there is a theme that Linux has in order for the desktop to look like a Windows desktop, so my dad doesn't see any differences...

As well, how similar does OpenOffice look like M$ office?

The following statement is true
The above statement is false
Nailgunner
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

there are a few differences with openoffice but much of it is very similar. Some options are in different menus etc. but these are minor.

I think Kubuntu offers a "redmond" theme but under this they are very different and the illusion will fail. Best just to get to grips with the OS and have a bit of a fresh start.

I use Ubuntu for home and work and i find it very good indeed. I have a dual boot laptop and i haven't used the WINXP side for months.

bigdrhu
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

http://distrowatch.com/

here you'll find enough linux distrobution links to look over.
most of them offer 2 flavours, gnome and kde desktops
also there are "live" cd's u can download and burn.
boot from them and u can play without altering the hard drive
gives u a chance to see if the harware works ok
before you commit and never look back lol
my main pc is going linux soon as i back up way to much junk of it
as it is, the laptop works fine under kubuntu
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic