SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Update - what could be crashing my PC?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
SlapHappy
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yup. I would suspect power supply, or perhaps you got a bum motherboard? Are there any new chipset drivers for the board, any updates for known problems with that board that have fixes? Check motherboard website for anything new.
I still don't think it's a windows OS problem, but running a live cd version of ubuntu or puppy linuux for awhile to see what happens might give you another clue. If linux will run all day long with no problems, then i would think it was something in windows causing it.

Safari Safari Sand Timer (19 mo.) Tina and Joe's Safari - Accra to Niger & Timbucktu
Safari Safari Z@ke & Charlie -Wulugu Or Bust Safari- Lagos to Paga & Tokwari X2 - 3800mi.
Golden Pith x3 H3ctor & C@leb - Yankar1 & Parakou
Safari x2 Charles and Friend-Amsterdam to Vatican
Safari Issac to Chad
Be A Cool Cat, Like Me Trophy Videos Cool Stuff
pony pony Closed lad accounts Mortar Goat Easter Egg 2011
WillEater
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Did you check the power supply? Shocked

GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I hate to contradict SlapHappy but it can be software, though I'd suspect the hardware.

Try opening up the box and disconnecting everything but the hard drive, (power cable AND data cable) and removing all PCI cards that you aren't desperately in need of.
Assuming you have onboard graphics and LAN you should be able to take any and all pci cards out.
See if you can make it crash like that.

Also - does it crash if not connected to the net?

Do the memory tests and also follow OD's advice about Automatic Restarts. (Does it go to a blue screen; does it just switch off; does it restart?)

For the Arctic Silver, did you chuck great wodges at the cpu (like most guys) or tiny fairy drops as per instructions?

If it crashes after all that, go to Msconfig and use the diagnostics mode and the concept of halves to gradually isolate the problem.

In that order..

Purple Flower
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok, I'm away for a few days but I'll check it all out when I get back.

Reboot is a black screen, as if the plug was pulled. Setting XP to not reboot makes no difference.

AFIK, ALL resets have been while connected to the net, what makes me suspicious is that 95% have been while on one image sharing site, but not all.

On reeboot checkdisk finds some bugered up strings and entries it has to sort out, usually involving Firefox. The temp readings have been quite stable.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OK, now take out the bits - the pci cards etc - that aren't necessary and report back. That will minimise the effect of the load on the psu. Do you have a fancy graphics card? Some of the new ones are pretty psu intensive

Purple Flower
Roycropper
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Same graphics card as before, my Nvidia one. thats the only card I'm using ATM, there is a usb port card, nothing plugged into it. On this board the ethernet is biult in.

It just crashed again, this time it ate all my Firefox bookmarks, a lot of dead wood there, but still a bummer. I dont think it's crashed when not connected to the internet, that must be significant.

As the screen goes black there is a 'clink' either from the HDD or the fans stopping.

I WLL SEND AN AFRICA WITCH TO ATTACH YOU BASTARD
You go die like bird
i started shouting HALLELUJAGOBBLE but none of them notice me immediately police arrested me due to the shouting
f*ck u asshole ur damn mother will loose ur fcuking skull brain ur brain is nothing to compare with rat f*ck ur u
MY FRIEND ALEX WAS DETAINED IN POLICE STATION
I am not happy due to the question i answered at money office. Let me tell you do not play with me ok.
Pith Helmet 10
x4 United Kingdom New Zealand Mortar Closed lad accounts Sand Timer 6Yrs Tattoo x6 Flying Monkey
A Skinner
Texas Lad-Saw Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've had a similar problem, but mine doesn't continually happen as yours does. I traced it to the fact that I have McAfee NoScript installed and at certain (even non-prOn) websites the system crashes.

SINCE YOU MADE ME TO GIVE MY CAR AWAY AND ALL THE DISAPOINTMENTS YOU GAVE TO ME,WHICH MADE ME TO STOP CONTACTING YOU. PLEASE DO NOT INVOLVE ME WITH ANYTHING YOU ARE DOING WITH ANYBODY, PLEASE DONT INVOLVE ME.I DONT WANT ANYTHING THAT WILL JEOPARDIZE MY IMAGE IN THIS COUNTRY.I AM A HUMANITARIAN LAWYER.

infact am getting tired with all this speculation in this transaction, honestly if i had known that this is the kind of person you are i would not have contacted for an assistance

Urgent??? Impotent massage

* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
OxygenDeprived
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As a last resort to determine if it's software related, you could do a repair XP install, or even a full blown re-installation. If you just put it back together you won't have much to lose other than time.

Safari N4ncy & Yeb0ah - Accra to Abidjan | Safari Safari Safari Safari Safari Barrister Stone Sand Timer 13+ months
PD Results: Safari x18
AS Results: Safari x4
Closed lad accounts x 15
Mortar x 3
Cellphone x 56 Easter Egg 2013
United Kingdom 138 sites killed
Pastor Frank
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Try a live Linux CD and see if it crashes with that. You could then determine if it is a software or hardware issue.

There are many to choose from, http://www.slax.org/ is one example.

Edit: I see that SlapHappy already mentioned this.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't suppose you have SP3 do you? LINK

Purple Flower
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

and for those who want new motherboards but still have IDE hard drives, there is THIS

Purple Flower
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic