SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

RAM upgrade for windows 98 advice

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Anyone techy with computers, maybe you can advise.

I have a BT broadband wireless home hub, what I want advice on is this, my mum gave me her old Windows 98 desktop, it's hardly been used since new and has just had a fresh operating system install, it's too good to ditch, and I wanted to set it up for my little boy to be able to use wirelessly.

The problem is, BT's minimum requirements are that your computer has to have a minimum of Windows 98SE and 128 MB RAM for installing from the BT Broadband set up CD, so, it will obviously not work with this being Windows 98, along with it only having 64 MB RAM, so it can't be set up via the BT CD.

I do have a Windows 98SE installation disc that I could use to install over the top of Windows 98, I also have a Ubuntu Linux live CD that I could possibly use if it's compatible, that would solve upgrading the Windows 98 part, I could then get a BT Voyager USB wireless adapter to pick up the signal from my hub to the desktop.

But, is it easy to upgrade it from 64 MB RAM to the required 128 MB RAM? Or, if I was to put 98SE or Linux on it, would it work and pick up the wireless signal with only 64MB RAM without me having to upgrade that, as I would be getting the signal via wireless and not from installing through the BT CD which does require the 128MB, or would I still need 128MB for it to work properly via wireless Confused

From what I understand, it is possible to add RAM, but the motherboard might not be able to take that much, unless the motherboard was also upgraded. Then again I also read that Windows 98 does in fact have a RAM limit of 2 GB, but as there is a bug in the memory managenment there may be problems when you install more than 512 MB, your thoughts, and is it easy to get hold of RAM for an old 98 computer?

Damn, just read through this and not sure if I'm making sense, hope so Laughing, failing that, anything else I could do with the computer, rather than chucking it.

[edit]

Scratch that bit about Linux, just checked their site and:

Quote:
System Requirements

Ubuntu is available for PC, 64-Bit and Mac architectures. At least 256 MB of RAM is required to run the desktop install CD. Install requires at least 4 GB of disk space.

The desktop only has about a 5GB hard disk.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger
Vcamera YMCA Vcamera Summer Holdiay + Bus Hijack

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
irishemigrant
** REMEMBERED **

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi SP, go here http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html and run the scan, it will tell you what you have installed, and let you know what you can upgrade to .

You should be able to get a bigger ram card for the 98 ok, my old puter was running 98se with 1024 installed, and you have the option possibly of getting an external 250Gb hard drive to plug also

http://www.scamwarners.com/ For when you want to remember why we bait

Goodbye Mike (Paranoid) Friend, confidant, partner. Till we meet again.
Personal Message From The Axeman
Easter Egg 2012 pony pony <-- Because you have earned them. Wink Goat Goat Golden Goat Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts a few x 13
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Irish, I can't go to that link, the 98 desktop can't connect to the internet without me installing BT's stuff on it, or upgrading the RAM so it can be used wirelessly.

40x Nigeria 4x South Africa 2x Ghana 2x Benin 10x Ivory Coast 34x United Kingdom 17x United States 9x Spain 1x Belgium 1x 6x European Union 4x Canada 1x New Zealand 6x Netherlands 1x pyramid 23x Cellphone Jolly Roger

www.scamwarners.com - www.scam-info-links.info - www.aa419.org - The Numpties Gallery
WillEater
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sadly, a 5 gig drive and 64 meg ram is a bit old school..
Might be slow CPU too.
Check around for a used computer with a Pentium 900 mHz minimum..

Here in the US, that 900 sells for $25 USD or less..

I would mail one to you, but that would double the cost..

Last month, I picked up a 3 gHz Dell, 160 gig SATA, 512 ram, DVD/CDr, XP Pro for $150..

bigdrhu
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

it should be easy enough to upgrade the system memory to 128mb, 256mb, 512mb or beyond. if u can find a stockist of the older type dimms. your motherboard manufacturer manual should be able to guide you on what size it can handle. if u dont know who made the motherboard this site may help you discover it www.wimsbios.com. if u plan to instal 98se i'd recommend a hard drive format rather than install over 98. make a note of all the hardware drivers aswell an check there still available for 98 before u do anything
WillEater
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

BigDr

Motherboard bios controls the max memory the system will allow..
Info needed prior to any purchase.
It's best if all memory is the same mfg and size.. (Not always needed, but best)

Scam
I have tons of older memory.. Post a size needed, pm a Box number, it's on the way free. (Christmas is coming)

wayne
Account closed at users request

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If there's only 64meg of memory in there, then it'll most likely be pc100 or pc133 RAM. Give me a day or so. I'm sure I have a few sticks somewhere that you can have if I can find them.

Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ SP Have you considered connecting with the ethernet cable?

You claim to be pure and never indulged in Juju, we shall see soon who will come beging for forgiveness, I cast you into the deapest hell and that is where you belong you Lunatic Monkey - Dr. James Carter

DIE NOW DIE NOW DIE NOW WITH YOUR WHOLE FAMILY USELESS MAN - Thambora Vwuku

what is ur problem u what do you do in life? pease dont worry me again otherwise u will die i wil reprot this mails to my boss. You are warned - Tony Kovan
Scam Patroller
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

@ Strongside, there is nowhere for ethernet connection on the 98 desktop.

Cheers for the offers Wayne and WillEater, but honestly, no need, just seeing if it's worth upgrading it or what else I can do with it.

I didn't think before, I just looked in the local free newspapers website and there have been several base units advertised on there recently, running XP with 256 MB RAM etc, only £20 and £30, I shall keep any eye on there and see what else crops up, cheers all, I'll lock this on my way out.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic