SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

California county intends to prosecute scammers

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
CowboyBuck
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a relative living in a retirement community in California.
This article is from the community newsletter.
I have removed the names and addresses.
A "supervisor" is a county elected official.

Quote:
Supervisor (name) asks residents to send scam letters to her office

District 2 Supervisor (name) was guest speaker at the
Community Club's first Special Event on April 30. She primarily
discussed (county) County's money problems and proposed solutions.

She gave special emphasis to the issue of "elder abuse", the
attempt by scammers to defraud retired people of their savings.

Recent mailings from unknown companies urging residents to renew
their auto insurance or home insurance; requests for resident
social security numbers; and announcements of lottery winnings
from London, Nigeria, and other countries; are examples of attempts to defraud.

(name) would like residents to periodically send her copies
of e-mails and post office mailings that are suspicious.
Send them to (name), (address).
The e-mail address is (email).

The county intends to find and prosecute the scam artists.

United States United Nations
Ireland United Kingdom Switzerland Germany Netherlands France Italy Spain Ukraine
South Africa Nigeria Ghana Australia Japan China Malaysia
Argentina Columbia Panama
Right now I am getting pissed with your responses
And still you later claimed there are snakes on the road to the Western Union
Please for the sake of humanity help Mr. Felix and I to get this money
doc holliday
Squirrels Hate Me

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's a wonderful idea,and I wish them luck.So much of it is from overseas though,that I question what they will really be able to acomplish.

You have given me enough stress through the shit you sent to me
Jack the hitlad

What you sent to me is not real, don't you fucking understand simple english, that is not real slip from money gram, I have been using money gram before now, FUCK YOU. IDIOT. PLAY YOUR GAME WELL. MASTER OF ALL PLAYERS
Jack,the hitlad who keeps giving me fresh sig lines

Closed lad accounts x35 x2 Easter Egg 2012
Jellyroll
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have lived in California since 1954, when we were dragged here kicking and screaming from Oregon.

Believe this: absolutely nothing is going to improve....except possibly that particular supervisor's hand-over-hand climb up the political ladder.

In addition, this state's current attorney general is spectacularly ineffectual. Previously, he was an ineffectual governor, then ineffectual mayor of Oakland. Under his leadership, Oakland CA (way up there in crime statistics) had a police department that had no fingerprint lab. None. There is no program called CSI Oakland on TV.

We have also had spectacularly ineffectual Republican governors; it's not about which dopey political party is going to swindle us next.

419Eaters is doing more good work than the entire United States government in this area.

The US Federal Trade Commission has been castrated long since.

Anybody looking to (any) government to protect them from these laughable scam letters is in BIG trouble.

This is not merely cynicism; I know just a little about these things:
BS Electronic Engineering (so-so idea)
MA Public Administration (bad idea)
JD Law (worse idea)

Other than educational efforts, even a gung-ho government couldn't do anything. Do we want them monitoring and censoring the Internet? You wouldn't like the result. As Doc Holiday so correctly points out, most of it does not originate within the borders of this country (USA) or your country. If it did, the packets would still come through other countries.

I have a 90-year-old mama-in-law. She is the sweetest old bat on earth, but educational efforts would be wasted. It has taken decades before she finally stopped giving money to fake charities. Old folks who lived through the worldwide Great Depression of the 1930s are simply too trusting. They aren't stupid; they just cannot conceive of how vile these scammers are until it happens to them.

Imagine how fast your DSL connection would be if all the penis spam and mugu scams disappeared from the Internet tomorrow.

Wow.

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^ Well, we could just bomb Nigeria. That seems to be our typical modality for nations that piss us off Wink

[It's called sarcasm... I know not all lads are from Nigeria]

Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A word of warning; Keep this out of the political arena or it will be locked. Warnings would be distributed as this would be the first warning.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
sheboppe
The Sparkly Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It would really be nice if states started cracking down on scammers fleecing elderly people. They should be punished severely.

| <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135992> Official Eater T-Shirts</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028> Premium Membership</a> | ScamWarners | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413> Forum Rules</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51> Baiting Tutorials</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118738> Baiting Help</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846> FAQs</a> |

star pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Mortar x22
DrWho
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The problem, obviously, is that the scammers are outside of the state's jurisdiction. Who are they going to prosecute? As we already know, tracing lads and linking them to a real name is mostly impossible. And until an actual crime is committed, like money changing hands, they are not guilty. The victim usually will not report it and look foolish after that. Who is going to pay for the cost of international investigations?

The FBI actually already has a web site where you can send this type of information. They are collecting the same information this community is going to collect, and you see how far the FBI has gotten with this.

Basically what this is, is a few (or one) community member were scammed and they complained to the community board who said they are going to do something about it with no idea what is happening.

Creating a group that goes out to retirement homes and city councils and teaches the elderly about scams and how to protect themselves would be much more efficient and cost effective.

United Nations Mortar x12
"To Serve Man"
sheboppe
The Sparkly Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

DrWho wrote:
The problem, obviously, is that the scammers are outside of the state's jurisdiction. Who are they going to prosecute?

I was referring to scammers that are in the state's jurisdiction. There are many types of scammers that fleece the over 50 population.

One that comes to mind is a rental scam. This actually happened in the 80's before scamming became so high tech. A "rental finder" company opened in my city, and advertised its services heavily to "mature people that don't have time to do their own leg work to find a rental home that suits their needs." Let us do the work for you was their motto, and it attracted many people over the age of 50 who were busy and wanted to find a place to rent, but didn't have the time to put into it.

This company charged a rental finder's fee of $100 per customer. In addition to local residents on the move, there was an influx of retirees moving here from CA that used the service. After the scam was discovered, it was found that the scammers had made around $50,000. They left town in the middle of the night but were later located in the USA and prosecuted by the state in which the crime took place. The way this company located rentals for people was to use the rental ads in the local daily newspaper. The victims could have done that themselves at the cost of $0.25.

| <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135992> Official Eater T-Shirts</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028> Premium Membership</a> | ScamWarners | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413> Forum Rules</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51> Baiting Tutorials</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118738> Baiting Help</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846> FAQs</a> |

star pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Mortar x22
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

DrWho wrote:
Creating a group that goes out to retirement homes and city councils and teaches the elderly about scams and how to protect themselves would be much more efficient and cost effective.

This is an excellent suggestion, especially for scams like 419, where the scammers are well beyond the jurisdiction of local or even federal LEA. Many of the elderly that fall for these scams are not unintelligent or senile, they are simply new to the internet and too naive for their own good. Educating potential victims is, IMO, one of the best ways to keep the scammers from getting a payday.

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic