SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Craigslist car scam - how they do it? email attached

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
419funtimes
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They seem to have their ducks in a row, (see below), so where do they get ya?

This auction was for a 2004 Wrangler Rubicon for $3000, pictures and description show a perfect jeep.

I emailed and asked "why so cheap?"

She replied:
Hi,
My 2004 jeep wrangler rubicon is in great shape, no engine problems,damages or hidden defects. It is in a good condition, no scratches,no damages,never been implicated in any accidents, runs very well. It has an 6 Cyl. manual , 54,000 miles, clear title, a perfect jeep and the price is only $2,850 firm. I`m a single mother with 2 children because i divorced with my husband and after the divorce i own this jeep, i don`t need it and that`s why i`m selling it so cheap. We will use eBay`s protection program for our safety. I just need your full name and address so i can open a case. (with no further obligation or fees).Have a nice day!
P.S : Please don't forget to send your full name and shipping address if you are interested to buy.

I replied: "where is it?"

She replied:
hi,
I want to tell you that we will use eBay in this transaction in order for both of us to be 100% protected and insured by them.eBay will supervise this transaction so there won`t be any problems.They will take care of the shipping and all the small details.You will get the jeep and you will have 5 days of inspection in which you can decide if you buy the jeep or not.If you won`t like my jeep(not your case)you notify eBay and you send the jeep back on my cost,if you want to keep it you announce eBay you send the money(payment method and all the details will be set up by eBay)and you keep the jeep.
eBay will send you an invoice at your email in which you will see how to start the this transaction and in which you can see that this transaction is legit.Please get back to me with your full name,full address and phone number so i can forward your details to eBay in order for you to receive the invoice.Wait your reply
Akai Ryu
Chuck Norris

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Escrow scam.

Advert a nice vehicle at a ridiculous price, this is where they get the hooks in. Then when the transaction is ready to proceed, the scammer will direct the victim to an "escrow website." This is really a fraudulent site that the scammer themselves set up--an escrow is supposed to be a service that holds onto the money as the transaction is in process, but in this case, the victim sends the money to the "escrow" usually via WU--and into the scammer's greedy thieving paws.

Usually these types of scams are Romanian in origin.

Within a few more emails you would probably get a nice courier/escrow website out of the scammer. Craigslist is teeming with this type of fraud. So is eBay, for that matter.

aa419.org --dead a fake site today.

No, Akai, you're a wonderful bitch. --Reaper
419funtimes
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Im talking to 3 right now, so if I lose one, I still have two others to screw with.

Ideas on what I can do to keep this going?
Akai Ryu
Chuck Norris

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay, right now I'll operate under the assumption that you're dealing with Romanian escrow scammers, because this is a common MO for them, and I have dealt with this type of scam more than any other. Having said that....

To be honest with you the esrcrow scammers are not very "baitable" per se as far as getting lengthy baits out of them--if they don't get anywhere within several emails they'll move on. They tend to wise up fairly quickly that they're being played with or their would-be victim is too inquisitive and they will just find an easier target. I'll usually string them on long enough to get a website out of them and then cut them loose, and then go have their website killed.

What they will often also do is have something set up through hacked PayPal accounts--the Romanian scammers are also prevalent in the world of phishing schemes. Though hacked PayPal usually comes into play when buying, and not receiving payment.

By the way, if you do manage to get any websites out of any of them, post them up and I'll have the sites killed.

419funtimes
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Here ya go! This is from a different scammer than the one above. I haven't heard from her since I asked for a picture of her with the Jeep. haha.

Here is his email with the website:

As I told you in my first e-mail, I am in UK with my work. Before leaving US I had prearranged the deal with WorldPay http://www.worldpayauto.com so my
presence in US isn't necessary. The car and all the papers(title,etc..) are in their possession in US ready for delivery. You have 5 days to test and
inspect the car.

I will be honest with you from the start. You won't be able to see the car before you make the deposit with Worldpay. The shipping charges are already payed.

If you want to purchase the car please go to http://www.worldpayauto.com/accept-terms.php and follow the instructions. Also please make sure that you read the terms of the transaction before you purchase the car.

Regards!!
Robert Mann

To which I replied: "Thanks! I'm looking forward to FINALLY having a car. I've been without a car for a long time and it took me a while to save up! Its been a huge hassle riding the bus with my 2 kids!"
Akai Ryu
Chuck Norris

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you very much--it was exactly what I thought it was, classic escrow scam here.

This site is on the aa419 db already and has a thread over there.

It just so happens that this particular piece of shit is botnet-hosted, with a Chinese registrar, who are not exactly known to act favorably. Abuse has been sent on it but it's not looking too favorable that the site will be coming down any time soon.

Link to thread

Mad

419funtimes
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I got a hilarious one going. I am driving this guy nuts. When its over, I'll publish it. : )
doe
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There loads of scams like this on www.Mobile.de
I currently have one running round in circles

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic