SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

just wondering

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Iama Pimp
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

First of all....hello everyone,i have been lmoa at what your doing Very Happy
I must say i am staggered by how keen these people are to call a phone
number to try to get something out of you(they are very dedicated Wink )
But i was just wondering if anyone has ever set up a premium rate phone number
and posted it as their own and then got them to call??
Every second they are on the phone to you is pennies in the bank,scam the scammers as it were Twisted Evil

just a thought.

great website btw Cool
Nailgunner
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Interesting Idea and one that has been tried by fraudsters in a number of contexts. However (I read the stickies) 419eater.com has a policy of not encouraging its members to actually benefit financially from their scambaiting activities as (as i see it) this would essentially blur the line between them and their victims a litle too far. We may waste and obfuscate their resources, but not actually steal them. Profit must never be our motive.

This, however, does not preclude getting them to call any of the countless (and nearly as villainous) premium rate number already in existence. A pricey call from a nigerian mobile, I'll warrant.
Iama Pimp
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ah good point mate,i suppose it would make us no different to them then.
But it would be great to see their faces when the phone bill came through....lol
bombardier
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A good answer to a good question Very Happy
Welcome to you both

pony pony Mortar x18
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Iama Pimp wrote:
But it would be great to see their faces when the phone bill came through....lol
In my experience, they tend to use pay as you go type services, so its more a case of burning up their credit than landing them with a bill.

However, while I don't benefit financially, my baiter number (see "Pimp My Number" in my sig) costs 35p/min from the UK. Add the international calling charges, and connection fees from the scammer's mobile provider, and you're looking at a pretty penny for each call Very Happy

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
Obi-Wan Knievel
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nailgunner wrote:
I read the stickies
The admins are just gonna love you! Smile

You're right on the money (as it were) with Eater not allowing that sort of thing. The main reason is that it's against the law to receive money under false pretenses of any kind, and the law won't care that you're only receiving money from a dirtbag criminal. Other than that, yes it would kind of make us not much better than the lads.

@Iama: Your question was still a good one. Never feel bad aboot asking.
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Apart from those raised alaready issues.

Lads cant or wont call premium numbers, plus premium numbers are regulated, which means theres a big report online with your real details for anyone to read - much too risky in all aspects.

You can make it expensive for them to call by using some great baiter tricks of the trade - randomly during a call hang up - most companies charge a connection fee, that costs a lad money, put a lad on hold while you answer the front door etc etc, or the oldest in the book - get into a deep conversation when they call you and waste all there credit.

Another way is work out WHERE a lad should call you, for example if i use my BT landline to call a friend in usa its 2p per minute, but if that friend was in say Pakistan its 9p per minute, so a quick search online shows there are voicemail for pakistan numbers - which wont cost the lad 2p they will cost the lad 9p - over time you will get numbers found by members in dozens of far off lands and places, join them all.

IN USE: Hi lad, im going to a meeting in mexico for 4 days its urgent, can you FAX me the details as there urgent and ill be away...

Stuff like that all falls into the allowable rules, it just costs the lads more to do what lads like to do best - absolutely nothing.

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
Nailgunner
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Cheers Smile

I've always been of the opinion that the only stupid questions are the ones that people don't ask.

Phone wastage: many ways to skin a mugu. hang ups, direct to voicemail, dead-call him and force a return call; etc. Of course he may not be familiar with british premium rate numbers, or his provider may not be set up to block them. gay chat anyone? eh. thoughts... plenty of numbers on the walls of the motorway services bogs. are they fair game or "innicent third parties"?
Obi-Wan Knievel
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah, the beloved ITP rule! Unless I'm mistaken, a gay chat line (while it would be funny) would probably involve some third parties who would qualify as innocent. Same thing with the FBI for that matter.

I suppose my method (well, I didn't invent it) of having lads call a payphone might just violate that rule too when I think aboot it. Technically, if my mugu calls a payphone and somebody actually answers and starts talking to him, I guess that would violate the rule. I'm not sure where the line is drawn.

One of the great options available (if you don't want to set up a mobile phone for your lads to call) is the "pimp my number" service available from some of our generous members. They'll take calls from your lads, and often make sure there's maximum waste of precious phone minutes involved! This service, by the way, is even more available to those with a premium membership. Smile
Newdonym
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A public phone is not by its very nature all that private. No one in the vicinity is under any obligation to pick it up - although it is very tempting to answer a ringing phone - if they do then the exposure is somewhat self induced.

Also, i find it hard understanding most calls, i imagine that average Joe is probably just going to hang up when he hears someone babbling down the phone at him.

Hmm, the gay chat one also seems a bit on the fence to me. Whilst giving your lad the local police station number is not going to be of any use to the police, it will just waste their time and resources. It's the job of premium rate line workers to answer phones and talk to people about meaningless stuff. they are getting paid for their time whether it's a regular client or an irate lad. You never know, they might enjoy the distraction.

Well, that's my 0.02 pence
Jen Derbender
flabbergasted

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

In my early baiting days, I gave as my phone number the contact # of the local brothel... I regret that now, as the 'employees' there should not be involved. I justified it at the time with the reasoning that the brothel was new, almost all local citizens opposed it, and it was only in operation due to some unfortunate legal loopholes. However, they were clearly ITPs, and now I only use Skype and K7.net.

Got some nice responses from the lads, though: "I called that number you gave me and asked for Jen Derbender, and you were very rude" and so on.

I should mention that in North America, most pay phones won't allow incoming calls. So you may be wasting a minor amount of a lad's time, but none of his money.

I took out a K7 account, and recorded a 25-minute greeting (from the Moneygram customer service line, natch). I scoured the web for the most annoying music in existence. I found it, some Chinese music, and Korean music, and "The Song that Never Ends". Strung it together with an audio message... none ever made it through the whole message.

FUCK? FUCK AND FUCK YOU. YOUR NOTHING BUT SHIT OKEY, ARE YOU ARE OFF BACK TO SENDER... YOUR ARE A BIG RAT OKEY FUCK YOUR SELF UP AND WHOM EVER THAT SUPPORT YOU, FOOL FUCK YOUR MOTHER WITH NO SPAM, RAT. - Kaosiso Chukwu

"Folken sheet like you.Beach,your mother and your house maid are folken themselves... Folk your folks... you comes when you are been fingered which makes you an idiot of sex luncering.You will never understand that english because it is not made for people like you." - Insane Idiot

Does your lad have too much time and phone credits on his hands? Have him call the Integrated Customer Service Call Centre at +1 206 905 9742! Dissatisfaction guaranteed!

United Kingdom x2 China Nigeria United States Ivory Coast x2 Closed lad accounts x?
sheboppe
The Sparkly Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Obi-W�n Knievel wrote:
I suppose my method (well, I didn't invent it) of having lads call a payphone might just violate that rule too when I think aboot it. Technically, if my mugu calls a payphone and somebody actually answers and starts talking to him, I guess that would violate the rule. I'm not sure where the line is drawn.

Having a lad call a pay phone is not violating the ITP rules. We used to post a a link to a pay phone database. There is a chance that the phone won't even get answered, but it is a way to stall your lad for a little while.

| <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135992> Official Eater T-Shirts</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028> Premium Membership</a> | ScamWarners | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413> Forum Rules</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51> Baiting Tutorials</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118738> Baiting Help</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846> FAQs</a> |

star pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Mortar x22
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nobody yet has mentioned the fact that, apart from anything else, the scumbags are probably paying for the calls with either money stolen from a victim or with funds from a stolen credit card.

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
Newdonym
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well then surely it's a good thing to waste it on pointless phone calls.

If you are saying that as a reason against making them call an expensive line then you could use that argument against every aspect of baiting. Even a straight bait with no trophy is probably paid for with a victims money.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic