SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

spoofing real legitimate US banks

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
GracefulSin
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've browsed around through the forum and couldn't find anything, so I felt I needed to ask about this:

I've recently received what appear to be 'official looking' emails from real banks in the US. One from Bank of America, the other from Capital One. Both included the official corporate logo of the institution represented. I know these are phishing scams because neither institution has my email address to begin with.

After running a check on the IP's in the headers, they both showed to have originated in Nigeria. I have notified both institutions; one by phone--which I forwarded the message to (Capital One), the other I printed out and presented in person (Bank of America) along with the IP tracing.
Bank of America employees informed me they (nationwide) see about 200/day, and locally about 20/day.

So, my question(s):

Do 419 Eater members not persue these particular scams? Is it against 419 Eater policy to post these phishing scams because they're primarily after information? And because there would be a third party issue?
And also because there could/would be a legality involved with the particular institution and a 419 member?

Please advise.....thanks.
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We do persue them, in as much as we report them.

If it was a website we would have the site closed down, if you have a REAL BANK ACC forward it to [email protected] who needs the original email, etc etc and he will take action to have any bank site gone.

The problem we have with phising sites is there not like lads, you wont get a piccy or have them tattoo themselves, in fact by closing them down its well known the effect we had - we upset someone who paid a fortune to try to knock eater over - it didnt work, but it shows you phishing sites and lads are two very different animals.

Edit in my drunken state i wrote website instead of bank account.

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello

Last edited by D11 on Sat May 03, 2008 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We don't mess with phishing sites. Legitimate companies such as BofA or Paypal have far better resources for dealing with them than we do.

If you start reading from Meyer's post in the sticky from FB, it will give you a bit better of an idea of bank info that we do target:
http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=598185#598185

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
GracefulSin
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Done. I sent him both of them....

Thanks Very Happy
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry, I missed this bit:

Quote:
If it was a website we would have the site closed down, if you have a website forward it to [email protected] who needs the original email, etc etc and he will take action to have any bank site gone.

I'm sad to say, but that is bad advice. Alan doesn't deal with bank sites- he reports REAL account information to the authorities. Said authorities then deal with the bank account, the funds in the account, and the account owner as appropriate.

Please don't send him phishing emails or information about fake sites being used in advance fee fraud.

Please read the Alan sticky here:
http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=967356#967356

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
GracefulSin
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Tsnerd. I appreciate it.
GracefulSin
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oops.....

I sent alan an apology for the emails with an assurance it won't happen again........
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

too many beers is my excuse.

Ill edited the original, heck knows what i was thinking last night

Anyhow what i meant was we report sites, such as fake paypal to [email protected] - they have a whole team of people who take on the phishing sites.

With real bank accounts - those sent by lads such as pay me in account number xxxx - those we send to alan.

aa419 does list fake banking sites, but you dont send that to alan, i think in my drunk state i answered it very wrong.

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
benjaminbunny
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I just want to chip in and say that it's not necessarily phishing unless it has the usual 'click on this link'. I do know of quite a few lads that use the bank logos etc., sometimes very convincingly in a standard 419, often ATM card scams. A poor example but all I could find..

Scamwarners.com Advice and info about scams
Jolly Roger pony
AEarhart51
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I get lots of bank scams, one even from my real bank, and they're usually quite official looking. I've never seen anything like that.

I fail to understand how any reasonable person could fall for that gibberish filled with spelling and grammatical errors, let alone this:

Quote:
Paece be in Jesus name amen...

My bank never includes a blessing in any of our correspondance. Laughing
Obi-Wan Knievel
*** BANNED ***

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I love this thread! I love it because it was one of my first posts here when I joined. Smile

The phishing e-mails should be reported directly to the banks they're spoofing just like said above. But I've seen lots of benjaminbunny's examples too, and sometimes they'll even come from spoofed addresses reading @firstnational.com or the like. There are lads out there who know how to do this (I don't have any examples at the moment - sorry) and they're the more dangerous ones IMHO. I often notify the real bank or organization that this is going on and forward the messages to them in those cases as well. No I don't support having lad-accounts shut down, but it appears that the major banks do.
GracefulSin
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is what I received with the BoA logo at the top. I don't know why it (the logo) didn't copy to this post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Customer,

2008 Bank of America InterAct Confirmation Form

At Bank of America , we are poised to provide satisfactory services to our varing customers at all times. We are currently carrying out a routine systems upgrade on our SSL Server. We ask that you bear with us while we undergo this upgrade. There may be slight interruptions in some of your online activities during this short period.

Importantly, it is mandatory for our customers to reconfirm their online account details by completing our 2008 Bank of America InterAct Confirmation Form. This will ensure a hitch free account access and prevent problems while using the new Bank of America Online Banking service in the future.

Please click on the reference link below to access the Bank of America InterAct Confirmation Form.

Snipped link. TS

Richard Dennis
Online Banking Service
Bank of America

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accounts Management as outlined in our User Agreement, Bank of America will periodically send you information
Akai Ryu
Chuck Norris

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Phishing emails (headers) and URLs can be reported here:

http://www.castlecops.com/pirt

aa419.org --dead a fake site today.

No, Akai, you're a wonderful bitch. --Reaper
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic