SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Is this a scam? If so, what can we do?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Anne Eurism
Hello I'm New here!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm involved in a glass art community, and we are targetted for scams on a regular basis. One of our members recently received the following email:
Quote:

Dear Artist XXXXX

I�m Guoping Duan, General Secretary of Glass Art Committee and Editor-in-chief of Art of Glass. Art of Glass is the only academic publication in the field of glass art in China. It has a large crowd of readers both in China and the world. We have also opened our own webpage: Chinese Glass Art Net www.artglassnet.com. (Chinese) / www.fuliglass.com (English).
At the request of readers domestic and abroad, we have decided to open a new column called Artworks of Glass on our website. The new column consists of two parts: one for Chinese glass artists and the other for the glass artists from other countries. In the column are the artists� names and personal details, the photos of the artworks and the key achievements of the artists. All the information above will be published in our academic magazine Art of Glass with the prior permission of the artist.

You are one of the most famous glass artists throughout the world. We�d like to introduce you and your artworks to China if you are kind enough to consent our request. I hope we can have a pleasant cooperation and exchange.

The following are required to be offered for the artworks in order to be collected and sold:

1. Name of Art Works
2. Name and brief introduction of Author
3. Size of the Art Works
4. Craft and Material Used
5. Art Language
6. Price of the Artworks

Please offer the information and materials required above to us in CD so that we can arrange to publish your information without charges in time.

Thank you.

Sincerely yours,
Guoping Duan
General Secretary of Glass Art Committee
Editor-in-chief of Editorial Office of Art of Glass

It looks fishy to me. Have any of you seen something similar? If so, what's the scam? I'd like to advise my community on what this really is and what (if anything) we can do to combat it.
justjay
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

www.artglassnet.com (Chinese) / www.fuliglass.com (English)
Both domains appear legit
artglassnet.com Creation Date: 21-jul-2000
fuliglass.com Creation Date: 19-may-2000

What's the email address claimed to be and what do the email headers show?

Probably scammer using legit website for "authenticity"

Mugu Resellerpyramid Closed lad accountsAustraliaUnited StatesUnited KingdomNetherlandsSwitzerlandGhanaBelgiumChinaNigeriaSpain
Ivory CoastCanadaBurkina FasoSenegalHong KongSouth AfricaEuropean UnionBahamas, TheBeninMalaysiaGermanyItalyTogo|¿?|
Over 1000 - no longer counting since sometime in 2008 + #unknown# assists
WDPRs >150 Netcraft>115
----
pony pony pony - just because...
bill2
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Looks a bit strange to me too, but the Chinese website is not online, or I block too much.
It's info shows that it will end if not renewed before July, this might be a way to get the funds to renew it?
And the other one also ran for three years and runs out in May. Seems okay although not the best way to invest money or sell Glass art I would think.

Edit TOO SLOW A TYPER Laughing

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic