SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

I have the best bank ever

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Went out shopping today, like many others, now like many people i dont purchase online, so i went to argos, ordered a bed - went off had a meal with my gf, and my mobile rings, and its the bank asking me about my security

Me knowing about 419 told them i was on my way to the bank and if they didnt already know my details i could confirm them in the bank.

It really was my bank, as i had not bought a bed (value �149.99) before from argos they were checking i was in control of my card.

I explained why i refused to complete the security with the lady on the phone and they said i was absolutely right not to, gave me �20 for the inconvienice and sent me on me way.

1 transaction and within less than an hour the bank were checking - that has to be a good system. Yep its inconvienient but imagine if my card had been lost etc, i feel cosy now knowing they are on the ball kudos to the bank.

On the downside big brother is watching lol.

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

this transaction is 100 percent risk/hitch free - bobo

why no pay me - abum bello
because the cops will know it was you - me
ok this is good - abum bello
Max Power
Master of Master Baiters

Location: Toronto, (Standing Invisible on the corner of Bay St. & Bloor St.) Canada EH!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Its not like Big Brother is watching, there is a limit on all accounts and there is only so much you can spend on any given day. The majority of people have no idea what there limits are. What the bank sees is a flag on their system they call you to confirm. Its the same if you travel overseas, make sure you call your bank to let them know the dates you travel and when you get back.

Its really a good thing that banks watch your accounts.

if u allow ma ot raock ur world i will rock it to tha limit - Nog Peter (AKA Noggie)
some bad element want just to spoil the image of Nigeria - Victor Young
i am one of those fraud stars that are very eager to extract money from other people - Benet Mpakah
it is now i konw you are not winllil to help us to receivesing the trunk box - danie lnando

PLEASE PM ME FOR TOP QUALITY TECHNICAL SUPPORT GURU
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It wasnt the amount, i normally spend for the whole food and stuff at the start of the month, so 149.99 would have been a fraction of that, and when i was in the bank they actually said it was because i had used it in argos something i had not done before.

but i think your right too, perhaps it was the amount in a single purchase from a store id never used on that card before?

I make software that drives lads crazy. Thats my revenge on lads. (it all helps)

Stoker Thompson
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is now standard risk management for most financial institutions. Their security model has switched to validating the transaction.

Quote:
Flagged transactions can get bumped to second-factor authentication -- usually, a call on the telephone, something the user has. This has long been done manually in the credit card world. Just think about the last phone call you got from your credit card company's fraud department when you (or someone else) tried to make a large purchase with your credit card in Europe. Some banks, including Washington Mutual, are in the process of automating out-of-band phone calls for risky online transactions.

If you do not have time to run to the local bank calling back the number on the card is also a good way to make sure you are on the phone with your bank.
Nanny Ogg
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We had similar with my mum's bank
She's main cardholder but with me so a 2nd so's I can get her shopping, pay bills etc.
I had switched my routine and was using a different supermarket so the bank phoned to check she'd authorised this.
Mind you they never batted an eyelid when said OAP ordered 4 Reading Festival tickets Laughing
Lester
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I had a card with Citibank and i had lost it (did not know it) and then they called me asking if i filled up two tanks of gas (mid 90s - so this would have been $20-$25) and shoes at Payless Shoes (ummm no) and this was in a bad part of town..
told em no and that they saw a transaction taking place then...
well.. i justknow the other end had a very nice surprise...

$3,838,681.54 of fake checks taken off the street
Mortar x13 Tattoo x4 Sand Timer 4y 3m
_____
"Just open up and tell me the truth and stop tricking your dick." - Mr.Kofi Yousaof

"I'm a Muslim, Ok I'm a Christian, Mother F---. Get the F---- off my phone N-----, don't call me anymore." - A lad on the phone with "Homeland Security".
D11
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sad sorry they got your card lester.

I do think the banks should make it clearer that they are actually doing this - whilst it may appear inconvienient or even "big brother" I would rather have the warm fuzzy glow that my money is obviously being looked after by exactly the right people.

It would reduce CC fraud significantly as criminals would obviously think "no point using that card" because they would know as soon as they tried to purchase something the bank would more than likely query the owner.

RoyalFlush
Eater U Quiz winner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You would think that the bank I used to use would have been very interested in why I was purchasing household items here, then in a city 70 miles away, on the same day.

Or why I was all but maxing out the daily spending limit at all sorts of stores, Web sites, et cetera for a couple of days in a row.

But...no. No phone calls or inquiries or anything. Yes, I was really spending the money (hadn't been robbed). It was an odd pattern for me, though, because I typically don't go on shopping sprees. This was right before a new semester of college, though, so I had to acquire a lot of stuff that I had not needed until I moved into the on-campus apartment.

So I was hitting up stores and sites that I didn't typically visit. But apparently that wasn't suspicious enough to catch my bank's eye. And they wonder why I've closed the account and found a different bank to deal with my money.

It's you and your family that don't have ENOUGH BRIAN CELLS.

I am dying because of your love you,ve impacted in me.

pony
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I once tried to buy something online using my dad's credit card (with his permission) and entered the details incorrectly, at which point the bank rang him up to tell him someone was trying to use his card fraudulently. They're certainly on the ball, even if they can't clear a cheque in less than 5 days Wink

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic