SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Your opinion on Wikipedia

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
bearkat419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's a good tool for quick answers to general knowledge questions. As far as reliable facts for research, it can sometimes be a good place to pick up links to factual first-hand sources. Aside from that, it is limited.

Eater U Quiz winner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Bearkat: that's pretty much how I use Wiki. If the information isn't all that important, I'll go to Wiki. They're just as reliable as any other site for, say, a complete Janis Joplin discography.

But if it's *really* important information, I go to a more reliable source. Wikipedia does not come to mind at all when I get home from the doctor's office and want more information about what he just told me. Smile

It's you and your family that don't have ENOUGH BRIAN CELLS.

I am dying because of your love you,ve impacted in me.

pony
mrsbean
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wikipedia is great for pop culture stuff (like, references you might have missed while playing a video game or reading a novel), and good for the occasional curiosity stuff, but I take it with an entire shaker of salt and try to confirm it with other sources. So... in other words, it's about on a par with the internet in general. There are good sources and bad sources, and heaven help if you can't tell the difference. Anyone believing "It must be true, I saw it on Wikipedia/the Internet!" is probably in trouble.

As far as citing it for anything formal or requiring serious research, I probably wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. (Not that "traditional" sources are immune to errors either, either. But at least your professor won't bust a blood vessel if you cite a piece of errata from a "genuine" encyclopedia.) As a "cited source" or for anything more important, I'm more of the Penny Arcade opinion.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2005/12/16/

Quote:
What you've proposed is a kind of quantum encyclopedia, where genuine data both exists and doesn't exist depending on the precise moment I rely upon your discordant fucking mob for my information.

That said, the concept of a wiki in general, is a lovely thing. In fact, at work, we're busily documenting our procedures and setups (I work in IT) in a local wiki so documentation is central, searchable, and easy to update an format. But there, I can see who updated/added what, and I know my coworkers actually have a clue, and if all else fails, I can walk down the hall and look them in the eyes.

[/quote]

Straightbait

Nifty anti-scam sites of interest
Artists Against 419 | Fraudwatchers |Scamomatic | Scampatroll Scam Victims United | Fake Checks Dot Org
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It is great for a quick search, IMO. Some things are not 100% accurate. But still, for the ease of use and the VAST amount of information in there, it is a good tool.

EDIT: Krona, I was going to post that video. Laughing

Omar Safari Edo-Abeche T.W.A.T
Adamu Safari Lagos-Abeche
Emi Safari- S Africa-Egypt-Sudan 10k miles
Chris Safari Jolly Roger Dakar-Niger-BF-Cameroon-Lagos-Mali-Nairobi 9.6k miles

Kevin Pith Helmet 10 Safari Accra- BF x2, Togo x2, Kumasi x3, Bolgatanga, Benin City, Tamale x2 Suitcase 5k miles Tattoo x 6
Kenny Safari Safari Safari 3k miles- dont f*ck me up about the payment plz. i have a policy about that. I JUST GOT A SMALL GOAT TODAY AND ITS IN MY HOUSE NOW. i lobve the goat.
Goat
Ben Safari Safari Safari 2.5k miles

Misc Pith Helmet 20 Pith Helmet 5 Pith Helmet 5 Safari Safari Germany-Holland, Atlanta, Beijing-ChangZhou, London-Glasgow, TIMBUKTU x 2
callum
Director of Press Relations

Location: On the run from the asylum and this seems like a good place to hide. Blend right in...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I find it's usually accurate enough to accurately target my googling.

x 2 teeny part of a large effort Mortar x29 Nurse Nastys Audi TT x5
Trolling is usually symptomatic of bad character, mental problems or ugliness - RIP Jock_2009
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic