SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Anyone gotten an "Army Corp engineer" before?

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
BoogiepopGirl
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm pretty new to the game of scam baiting, but I have gotten the 419 scam emails for years. Never have I seen one from someone claiming to be an American engineer, complete with Anglo-sounding name, with the Army Corps of Engineers, currently in Baghdad. Too bad his poor English and IP address place him in Ghana (surprise, surprise).

The email itself is hilarious; it sounds similar to the plot of that George Clooney/Mark Whalberg movie "Three Kings". Except that rather than running to the Iranian border with the gold, he needs *my* help

Being as one of my former college roommates is a real Corps engineer in Iraq, and in constant danger...well, this particular email really p*ssed me off, and I'd like to respond. This would be my first bait, a special milestone. I've got a character, a 30-something wife and mother who owns a computer store and sits on the board of directors for a private college. The characters, I find, are the easy part. I just wrote a generic "thanks for contacting me, tell me more" email...can anyone give me a hint or two on how to proceed from there?

Thanks in advance, everyone!
Saint Arnold
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

These do come up pretty frequently. Sometimes they include a hidden weapons cache, sometimes the cache includes nuclear armament.

You've started the right way by just asking for more information. Continue on the same way. How did he find your email? Isn't the Army monitoring his communications?

You can have fun with these - just take it slowly.

edit: since you are on a college board, perhaps you can commission him to do a scholarly report on how conditions on the battlefield affect the superego. This would take several slow steps, start by asking if he's seen battle, etc. Later in to this, you might ask how he's communicating with you and if he needs a laptop of his own because you have some you are about to scrap from your computer store. Good luck!

Our legal team are on standby for the next line of action in this very interesting case.already they are still studying the MTCN number that you sent,it will be used as evidence together with your full names and address,when this epic battle commences. - the one and only Charles Soludo

--------------------------
Cellphone x15 (RIP) United Kingdom x7 South Africa x1
Safari Lottery lad, Benin City - Abuja Safari A new minister, Lagos-Benin City Safari The same minister, Lagos - Tamale, Ghana
Safari Dr. Johnson - Abidjan-Abuja and back again (so far! - 1666 miles round trip)

pony <----because life can seem bleary and bleak without one. TS
pony Because Lotta is a great and beautiful mod!
Mortar x21
Juan Freizwidatt
Associate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Krona's advice is spot-on. Take it slow, and stay in control. Keep asking him questions and keep him off-balance, and just go with the flow. Be creative. Think of angles that sound interesting to you and experiment. If he twigs and disappears, there are (unfortunately) plenty more where he came from. Baiting is an endless learning experience. I've never used the same angle twice, I love trying new ideas, new characters, new attitudes. Use your imagination and have fun, while messing with scammers and wasting their time! Very Happy

"HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU THAT ANOTHER PERSON IS DEALING WITH YOU AND ASK YOU TO CONTACT ANOTHER PERSON AND NOW YOU SAID THAT YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER PERSON WITHOUT THE KNOWING OF THE PERSON THAT ASK YOU TO CONTACT THE OTHER PERSON"

I apologize again that I will lick the dust from your sandals - Shorty

Sand Timer x4: Shorty
Safari x 16:
US lad w/Capone: ( Golden Pith ) Black Ribbon
- ATL>DC>ATL>Vegas>Seattle>ATL>San Diego>LA>ATL>Seattle>ATL>WY>ATL>Aspen>ATL (21K+ miles, $11K+ expenses)
Shorty w/bohigal:
- Lagos>Abidjan
Random lads:
- Douala>Korup; Lagos>Cotonou>Parakou; Cotonou>Niger border; Cotonou>Pendjari>jail in Tanguietta; Asaba>Abuja; Accra>Tamale
Purple Flower Goat Jack Boot Whip
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Being as one of my former college roommates is a real Corps engineer in Iraq, and in constant danger...well, this particular email really p*ssed me off, and I'd like to respond.

I wish your friend well. It was a multi-gender dorm, I guess?

For baiting this, just stick to stuff you see in the movies. I particularly like the AT rockets going off in small spaces and everybody calling everybody 'Sir'.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

TS makes a good point. Whilst it is tempting to throw a bunch of real militaryspeak at these kinds of scammers, you will lose the bait if he thinks you know too much about the military.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
BoogiepopGirl
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Tsnerd wrote:
I wish your friend well. It was a multi-gender dorm, I guess?

Ahhh...you are assuming that my old roommate and I are of different genders, and I'm guessing you think I'm a girl and that my roommate was a guy. Very Happy That's good, that means my gender-specific handle is doing its job.

I wonder if the scammer would notice if I began calling him/her by a name from that movie. Heh heh.
BoogiepopGirl
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

~ Krona,

Oooh...I like this idea. Thank you!

And thank you, everyone, for the input! I'm anxiously awaiting my lad's reply.
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I'm guessing you think I'm a girl and that my roommate was a guy.

Yep.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to Eaterland!

I bet your lad is a Sgt. right? They all are. This modality is pretty common these days. As said above, I wouldn't go overboard on the military stuff as it will probably scare him off.

Have you signed up for a mentor? If not ,I would recommend that you do so.

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
BoogiepopGirl
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Signed up for a mentor yesterday. Haven't been assigned yet, but it looks like that's updated every 3-5 days or so, so that's fine. I'm patient.

He didn't call himself a sergeant in his initial email. Who knows what he'll call himself later. I'm not going to act like I know much about the military, I'm just a thirty-something wife and mother, after all! Laughing
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There has been a large influx of new members of late so it may take a few days for a mentor to be assigned. In the meantime don't be afraid to ask any 'stupid' questions. We promise not to laugh to loud and will try to help you. Laughing The good thing about this 'hobby' and this forum is that everybody has a different approach and opinion. However, we all have a common goal...lad misery. Twisted Evil

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik

Mr Wang
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome to eater, I'm also betting your lads a Sgt.
If you're like me, you'll enjoy the modality he uses because it's stupendously easy to waste their time questioning certain inconsistencies.
I always start by questioning why the news article they linked (and more often than not, they do) is dated from 5 years ago, then judging by their response move on to other questions.

Enjoy. Smile

Closed lad accounts x 3ish?
BoogiepopGirl
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I had a few errands to run this morning; nothing in my catcher account before heading out. But lo and behold, once I arrived home, there was a nice surprise in my inbox - my "Army Corps" lad had written back.

And he attached two little presents to the email, how sweet of him! I now have two small trophies that I didn't even have to ask for! So thoughtful, this lad. They are two absolutely horrid ID fakes; one for a Mississippi drivers license, the other for a civilian Army Contractor. I'll be sure to Photoshop "Fake" over them this weekend so I can share with the rest of the class.

So far, he hasn't claimed any real military status, and the fake Army ID says he's a civilian...which I'll remember if he suddenly claims to be military.

Just had to share that with the rest of you. Unless something really funny happens, and I do so hope it will, after posting the IDs I probably won't update again on this lad until I've got something substantial to post. Thanks everyone for the advice and support, I appreciate it!

p.s. I forgot to mention, he has told me he wouldn't "be in a position" to receive phone calls from me due to "security reasons." He's thought of everything. Rolling Eyes Ah well, that makes it that much easier for me!
packman
Elite Baiter

Location: In his own little world but it's ok, they know him there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

<--The king of stoopid questions... am I right? oops another stoopid question Embarassed
good luck on your first bait

The receipt you send is totally invisible ok-Kelly

FUCK YOU SMALL BOI YOU ARE POOR IN HEAD AND SOUL
AND GOD WILL PUNISH YOU FOR SCAMMING HOUNST MEN LIKE ME.. Segun Akintemi
Click here to support 419Eater.com
pony <-- I got a pony WAHOO Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x3
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

BoogiepopGirl wrote:
...And he attached two little presents to the email, how sweet of him! I now have two small trophies that I didn't even have to ask for!

Sadly BpG, they don't really count as trophies as they are not bespoke to you. He just sent them out as part of his scamming kit.

Let us know how it goes, and don't be afraid to ask for advice.

BoogiepopGirl
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^^^ Ahh, I see. I didn't know that didn't count, thank you for letting me know. Smile Now I won't look like an idiot in the future...at least on that front, heh.
Doodle Bug
Master of Master Baiters

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
waste their time questioning certain inconsistencies

Dont educate the lads Surprised

Who is this person Mickey Mouse???
trying to dercieve hoorable men like me. You are stupid man ok.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic