SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Mum Has Alzheimers.....

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
SherlockHolmie
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Last night Mum broke the news to (most) of the family that she has been diagnosed with Alzheimers. It was discovered in an MRI while they were testing for the possibility of a stroke (she's in her 70's). She was prescribed a drug called Aracept, and she told us she could feel a difference already. which makes me wonder what stage the disease is in. Will do some reading on clinical data.

She took me aside later and seemed very much at peace with it all; said she was really going to enjoy her garden (which she always did..) and enjoy her home...it was very sad, though I smiled a good deal and agreed with her.

I myself survived a brain tumour 15 years ago, and I took care of my spouse who died of cancer in 2002, but this is very different.....

Does anyone on the Eater community have experience with relatives suffering from this disease?

How do I cope with caring for another loved one in the final stages again?

Sorry to be morbid...just generally looking for an encouraging word, I suppose. Thanks, mates Crying or Very sad

"You are a stopid man." - Barr Choy Choong
"Hello Mr Dear and Dumb" - Usman Danququ
"We can not entertain any more insubordinations from you!" - Roberto Correras, United Nations, Cote d'Ivorie Branch
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry to hear that SH. I don't have much experience with the disease, but I'm sure there are others here that do.
I'll keep a good thought for you and your mum, though.

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry to hear it, Sad I haven't had a relative with Alzheimers, but my dad had clinical depression a while back,for a year or so, and that was tough.
My thoughts are with you.

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion
Cellphone x15 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts 50+

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

- I am the King of Rome, and above grammar
Easter Egg
sheboppe
The Sparkly Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm sorry to hear that. Alzheimer's is a very cruel disease - not only to the person that has it but to the family and friends too. I really feel for you and your family. Crying or Very sad

| <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135992> Official Eater T-Shirts</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028> Premium Membership</a> | ScamWarners | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413> Forum Rules</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51> Baiting Tutorials</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118738> Baiting Help</a> | <a href=http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137846> FAQs</a> |

star pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Mortar x22
Stepan Fetchit
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My Dad had various mental problems in his later years, including some diagnosis of 'pre alzheimers' or something.

He did end up in an alzheimers nursing home. It's tough, but you can find some very good facilities that provide good care, and the staff really cares. You have to do some serious looking around, though.

It's sad, but if you can swing the right facility, it makes a big difference.
He actually enjoyed the last place he was in, after being thrown out of 3 other places.

Laughing

Your mum will need to be eventually attended to most of the day, and in an environment that is safe. I don't know how to put this?
Luckily my Dad was slowing down a lot physically when he reached the advanced stages, so he wasn't prone to wander far.
Crying or Very sad Mixed blessing, though.
Enjoy the time you have with her.

<A href="http://www.dragonladies.org/bbs">Dragonladies.org</a>
Gnasher
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry to hear about your mum. It's always very confronting to learn that a parent or loved one has a terminal illness. Try to focus on making whatever time you have as full of laughter and happiness as possible. I'm sure your reading and research will give you a lot of the information you need about the disease but one practical suggestion is to start making plans for her eventual care and wellbeing now so when the time comes everything is in place for a smooth transition. My aunt was diagnosed in her early 70s and was determined to have a say in where she wanted to live when she could no longer look after herself. She was a fanatical gardener and she chose a facility well in advance that had a beautiful rose garden where she would eventually sit for many peaceful hours just enjoying the sights, sounds and smells. She didn't recognise any of her family or loved ones by then (it's a very cruel disease in that respect) but we knew she was happy and that's all that mattered. Good luck.

"Please pray harder for God to guide and protect us during our travelling because flight airplane i observe is a very big risky" Abdul Karibu
"WE DOESN'T LIKE HOW DISOBIDIENT YOU ARE!" Coco Law Chambers
"BE INFORMED THAT YOU WILL INCUR DUMMERAGE AFTER 9 DAYS FROM TODAY" Burkina Faso Air Secure Air Service.\
falnsb
419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Went through this with my mother too. It's a terrible illness for those around but it cushions the victim from the harsh realities of life, so that's a positive angle.

You may also in time find that at least in the early stages there are some humorous moments, make the most of those.

Do not let her convince you that she is OK and doesn't need help etc.

I wish you strength and hope you have some family support, that makes a huge difference.

YOU BASTED PIG HOW CAN YOU DO THIS TO ME I AM NOT SCAMMER

You are the pertetic fool with no ambition, you wasted our time, by doing this.
You white are reaping what you saw, by enslaving our forfather. if you like publish all your head white still fall for our trick, fool, is better you work with me because am demmm rich.
EAT SHIT IF DO NOT HEAR FROM YOU. MIND YOU YOUR NAME IS WITH MY SPIRITUALIST, YOU ARE ALREADY A MUGU.

you are a fool, your four father first scammed our four fathers. came to africa and stole our rich heritage. suffered us as slaves and killed us like ants. it is time to get back all what your four fathers stole from our four fathers.
we will not stop untill the europeans, americans etc . come begging for forgivenes.
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am very sorry.

I think that this is one of most scariest things that can happen to a loved one.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Mugatu
** Retired **

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My great Auntie May succumbed to Alztheimers a year ago. She brought me up, so I pretty much lost my Mum.

It was upsetting as she eventually forgot who I was. That is the hardest thing to accept, that the lady will eventually forget who you are, even though you may have spent 20 years or more together. The most recent memories fade the quickest.

My Grandmother (Mays Sister) took me to see May in her final months, and May didn't have a clue who I was. She could however remember her religion teacher from 70 years before.

I think that's what you have to be prepared for, as it's quite a shock. What you have to bear in mind is that the human brain is a fragile thing, and you can't ask it to do more than it already has. Just enjoy your time together as much as you can, and remember that memories are not forever, they dissappear eventually.

Good luck, and my thoughts are with you, it's not an easy thing to deal with.

pony pony - because you deserve them! Mortar x19 Closed lad accounts Nigeria Nigeria United States United States Benin United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom United Kingdom Malaysia Cellphone Cellphone
Thinking of using phone modalities? Attend the 419eater university on audio baiting.

"They made me to understand you are a Fraud Star" - Ikenna.
"I like traveling very much, it is so exciting and interesting to see foreign countries. but I have never been to foreign countries." - Marina.
"I will have you now I am highly reputable businness magnet." - Pam Doh
"Sorry,i do not know you are all that: a destitute and nuts" - Ben Chris
Connie L. Gus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am very sorry for you but there is hope. My Dad has it and is on the same medication. Its been helping him a lot as about 7 years ago he came over and when we all went out to say bye, he drove to the end of the cul de sac turned around and then we got to wave good bye to him again. He was getting lost all the time. It looked like long term nursing facility time but he's doing much better now. There's no stopping or reversing it but it can be slowed down. Both my parents exercise and play Brain Age every day .

LISTEN I CAN NOT TAKE YOUR SHIT ANY LONGER WE HAVE WHROTE A PETITION AGAINST YOU TO THE FBI WITH ALL OUR EVIDENCE YOU ARE INTO PROSTITUTION,DRUG DEALING, FORGERY, CREDIT CARDS FORGRY WESTEN UNION FALSIFICATION,DRUGING MEN,COMMETING MURDER, STEALING, DRUNCARD, ALL THIS WE HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO PROOF OUR CASE AGAINST YOU.-Johnson Hill
SafariI am not finding it any funny...Henry A., Lagos, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, WIMPed
Safari I am stranderd. Henry A. Lagos to Accra, WIMPed for 67 days.
* Help Keep Eater Running - Click here to donate
SherlockHolmie
Master Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks, mates.....your information and words of support are much appreciated....

"You are a stopid man." - Barr Choy Choong
"Hello Mr Dear and Dumb" - Usman Danququ
"We can not entertain any more insubordinations from you!" - Roberto Correras, United Nations, Cote d'Ivorie Branch
dr stephen williams
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am so sorry. I just wanted to give a cyber hug. [hug] Hug [/hug]

Golden Pith x2 Safari x7 Tattoo x7 Closed lad accounts Mortar Vcamera Sand Timer x6 Team Turd Lgs-Dla Bnn-Lbra Acra-Dkar Dkr-Bnjul- Dkr-Tmbktu-Abche-Adre-N'djmna Lgos-Cairo-Aswn-Jail Ctnu-Lgos Ctnu-acra Lgos-Jbrg-Drbn-Prt-Elzbth-CT-Sprngbk-CT-Drbn-CT-Hrre-Lska-DsSlm-Mmbsa-Nirbi-Kmpla 28,510 Miles
Golden Pith Safari x2 Tattoo x6 Vcamera Sand Timer x4 Team Woody Acra-Sngpre Acra-Dkr-Rsso-Bmko Acra-Ctnu
Safari Lgos-Dkr-Rsso Sand Timer Vcamera (wKLG)
Safari x22 SS Sand Timer x3 United Kingdom United States Nigeria x303 : Closed lad accounts pyramid Mortar
Nurse Nastys Audi TTpony Whip Mc Fry Jack Boot
bearkat419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I lost my grandmother to Alzheimers' in 2003. PM me if you need to talk... It's a long road, but there are a lot of things I know now that I wish someone had told us at the beginning of it. And the new drugs they have, supposedly, can really make a difference in the progression.

Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I had an aunt with Alzheimer's. All that you can do is make sure you have a good memory of her and give her something that she can see everyday(like the garden) to keep her happy, but just make sure your mind is at ease and spend as much time with her as keeps you happy. I feel for you.

419Eater is my life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a little with it, my Grandmother was diagnosed in the first stages of it last July.

She has passed on now, but what I was exposed to was not pretty or something I would like to experience again. In her case, the medicine did not help much at all. She had Multiple Myeloma, and renal cancer to add to her woes.

I wish you the best of luck with this. It isn't easy to see this happen to a person that you love.

B

[ <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12">Getting Started</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24605">FAQs</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5413">Rules</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32877">Ethics</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122306">Request Mentor</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81028">Premium Benefits</a> - <a href="http://www.scamwarners.com/">Refer Victims Here</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119780">Report Bank Acct</a> ] Mortar x25
jojobean
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SherlockHolmie wrote:

Does anyone on the Eater community have experience with relatives suffering from this disease?

How do I cope with caring for another loved one in the final stages again?

Sorry to be morbid...just generally looking for an encouraging word, I suppose. Thanks, mates Crying or Very sad

I lost my grandfather to that disease. It's hard to watch them go downhill. All I can say is that patience must be exercised. Remember the good times. My heart is with you and your family.

Omar Safari Edo-Abeche T.W.A.T
Adamu Safari Lagos-Abeche
Emi Safari- S Africa-Egypt-Sudan 10k miles
Chris Safari Jolly Roger Dakar-Niger-BF-Cameroon-Lagos-Mali-Nairobi 9.6k miles

Kevin Pith Helmet 10 Safari Accra- BF x2, Togo x2, Kumasi x3, Bolgatanga, Benin City, Tamale x2 Suitcase 5k miles Tattoo x 6
Kenny Safari Safari Safari 3k miles- dont f*ck me up about the payment plz. i have a policy about that. I JUST GOT A SMALL GOAT TODAY AND ITS IN MY HOUSE NOW. i lobve the goat.
Goat
Ben Safari Safari Safari 2.5k miles

Misc Pith Helmet 20 Pith Helmet 5 Pith Helmet 5 Safari Safari Germany-Holland, Atlanta, Beijing-ChangZhou, London-Glasgow, TIMBUKTU x 2
Seven of Nine
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Sherlock, my thoughts are with you and your family. My father is also an Alzheimer's victim Sad He was admitted to a nursing home last October and is in good care now.

Good luck; and seek professional help for yourself and your mum before it becomes too difficult.

maggiemay
Adamu's soulmate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am so sorry - my grandmother had Alzheimers for many years and sometimes she was Ok othertimes not so good. I do know that most recent memories get forgotten first whilst early memories remain.

If you are in the UK you might want to contact the Alzheimers Society who have lots of local support groups and can also give advice and support about caring for someone with the disease

Good luck and best wishes
GordonBennett
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My stepmother has just gone into a home after ten years of my father looking after her. As he said, it's not what he expected at his time of life.

It is hard, very hard, but at least you have the relative luxury of having caught it early on, so hopefully you will be spared the full impact.

There are funny moments, also sad ones and just bizarre ones, but I think everyone would say to make the most of what time you do have together.

Purple Flower
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic