SmartFeedSmartFeed          

WELCOME - YOU ARE CURRENTLY VIEWING 419EATER AS A GUEST

By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics and access other forums reserved for members. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today by clicking here.

ScamWarners.com - Internet Anti-Fraud Center - now open!

These forums are READ ONLY. Click here to register on our new forums - aff.419eater.com

Clever people �are easier to con� - apparently

View next topic
View previous topic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
WhackMeister
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Spotted in the Times:

Clever people �are easier to con�

Doctors, architects, engineers and other white-collar professionals are being conned by e-mail fraudsters who lure them into contributing to fake ventures after taking their details from conference websites.

A report on e-mail scams indicates that the high-achieving professionals are frequently defrauded, contrary to the widely held belief that the poorly educated and financially desperate are most vulnerable.

The research, carried out by Ultrascan, an IT fraud agency based in the Netherlands, also showed a strong correlation between white-collar victims and a recent or life-changing family trauma, which appeared to have impaired their judgment.

The review of 362 of the most serious cases, in which victims lost more than �150,000, found that 85 per cent had suffered a parent-related trauma � either death or an acrimonious separation.

The report concludes that those who have suffered a bereavement appear to be more likely to be duped.

Advance-fee fraud � where the victim is asked to pay up before receiving benefits � is the most successful type of scam in the world and was responsible for victims losing an estimated �2.1 billion in 2007. There were 300,000 fraudsters active globally last year, a rise of 3 per cent from 2006.

Full article:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article3564520.ece

300.00 lads, ey? Phew..plenty left to do then

Very Happy

rootuser
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We should try to have them all safari to an elusive scammer-convention.

It's pretty weird that those people who are supposed to know better obviously don't.

"This is what i sent to them am not with any money to go back to nigeria pls help."

United Kingdom (0.25 go to fake_buster)

Safari x4 Wole A.: Akure, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, Akure, Nigeria to Tanguieta, Benin (both with Thomas-the-Tank and Simba), Akure, Nigeria to Kano, Nigeria (with TtT and OD), Akure, Nigeria to Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire (with TtT)

Mortar

pony pony
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN MessengerSkype Name
Ivor Grimey Colon
"Trophy slut"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

WhackMeister wrote:
The research, carried out by Ultrascan
It's trustworthy then Rolling Eyes

"If your bait does not cause an ethics thread, you are not baiting hard enough." - YeaWhatever

Pimp My Number | A Donation a Day keeps Nurse Nasty at bay
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

WhackMeister wrote:
The research, carried out by Ultrascan

Ultrascam, 'nuff said. Evil or Very Mad

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
WhackMeister
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh - why? Who they?

Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ultrascan isn't very well thought of, here. They charge AFF victims money with promises to recover funds or see that lads are punished.

I'd stay away from them.

Fakers: many, many, lots; an SSL and a couple of Resellers.
Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
WhackMeister
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh - thanks!

Maybe someone should have pointed that out to the Times...

Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The media is going to do what they want to do, regardless.

Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
SlayerFaith
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As much as I dislike Ultrascam, they do nearly have a point here.
For those here still laboring under the misconception that all scam victims are uneducated, it is very true that some VERY "book smart" people fall for 419s. Those who believe that they are of superior intelligence are harder for scammers to hook, but tend to also be harder to convince when confronted with the fact that they are being scammed.

Mugu Reseller Ukraine x2 United Kingdom x24 United States x7 Spain x5 Nigeria x5 Russia x96 South Africa x2 Ivory Coast x2 Netherlands x2 Ghana x2 Australia x2 cameroon x2 Japan x3 Germany Malaysia Canada Benin x3 Malawi France United Arab Emirates United Nations x2 x2 (in a team effort)

ANIMAL,MY FRIEND MY PRAYER IS THIS,LET ALL MY ENEMIES BE IN TROUBLE LIKE CHRIST INGIGE,AND LAZY PEOPLE LIKE YOU BE LIKE WABARA.THANK YOU- Kelechukwu Nduka
"Did he say they have an inflatable pig? That's sick!"- Crash, Vegas 06
"You can be a right Bitch sometimes SF"- Cherrie, GenChat 07

Naked Mod pics!
star
Klaasvaak
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Tsnerd wrote:
Ultrascan isn't very well thought of, here. They charge AFF victims money with promises to recover funds or see that lads are punished.

I'd stay away from them.

they aren't even registered at the dutch chamber of commerce

Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
There were 300,000 fraudsters active globally last year, a rise of 3 per cent from 2006.

Wow! A mugu census!

That is about the population of my home town. Now if we could just get them fraudstars all on safari in one place at the same time and drop a bomb on it we could all find something else constructive to do with our time.

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

300,000. I thought the last count was at 263,489? Confused These people are way off, it's obviously 263,489, I'm sure.

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion
Cellphone x15 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts 50+

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

- I am the King of Rome, and above grammar
Easter Egg
Yastreb
Common Street Thawth Vergabon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Remember, 89% of statistics are complete inventions*.

*Including this one.

May you never se the end of the year, May you sick and die in JESUS NAME AMEN.
MARK MY WORD, YOU SHALL FALL SICK, IF YOU DONT PLEASE WITH ME, YOU SHALL DIE OF THE SICKNESS, THIS IS MY FINAL WORD TO YOU
I HAVE PLACED YOU UNDER MY ORACLE GODS,
YOU SHALL CRY AND BEG FOR FORGIVENESS OR YOU DIE

United Kingdom x5 Spain New Zealand Senegal Ghana x2 Benin Closed lad accounts x 246
Safari x 5 - Oyenka Chidinma Lagos-Cotonou; Dickyboi Lagos-Accra; Femmy Lagos-Porto Novo; "Woody" Accra-Singapore; Henry Philip Abuja-Natitingou w/MG & DSW
Sand Timer x 7
Reaper
Hello I'm New here!

Location: Travelling in a fried-out combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually its 75% of Statistics are made up on the spot to make a point. Well it really varies, I've heard it could be 42.2 or 85% or even 90%, we know some percentage of statistics are.

110+United KingdomNigeriaSpainNetherlandsGhanaChinaIvory CoastUnited StatesSwitzerlandAustraliaFranceDenmarkSierra LeoneEuropean UnionSenegalUnited NationsRussiaBurkina FasoBeninCzech RepublicQuestion
Cellphone x15 Mortar x18 Closed lad accounts 50+

SafariSafariSafari Shola - 4.3k miles Lagos - Abidjan | Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos - Sokoto "i have not eaten anything except water"
SafariSafari Mr Floyd - Lagos - N'Djamena, Chad | Lagos -N'Djamena --> Abeche, with RS (7 days in hell Rolling Eyes ) "we are dieing here"

Art Trophies: <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129502">Eva Bust</a> - <a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135167">Reaper's Art Gallery</a>

- I am the King of Rome, and above grammar
Easter Egg
thud419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've just done a scientific and rigorous investigation. And based on this thread it currently stands at around 66%. Although that assumes that the Ultrascan ones are not invented. The other 33% are of course merely dubious.

Compare this thread wherein it is agreed that clever lads are easier to bait. Probably for the same reasons. Broadly speaking there is a scam for everybody. Nobody is immune. The people who are really at risk are the ones who think they are immune.

I did not f**k your wife in any way -- Nike Akanbi
I don't know what else to do or do I continue filling and filling forms. -- Barr. Koloti
you has been dribbling me up and down but I will show some thing you have never seen before, I think you breath air wait and see. -- Sand Timer Barr. Cole
Cellphone x14
United States x 0.25 won from Reaper in a sucker's bet

Hello Kitty! pony Mortar x8 Closed lad accounts x several
rootuser
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

thud419 wrote:
The people who are really at risk are the ones who think they are immune.

Which would be us, wouldn't it?

"This is what i sent to them am not with any money to go back to nigeria pls help."

Safari x4 Wole A.: Akure, Nigeria to Cotonou, Benin, Akure, Nigeria to Tanguieta, Benin (both with Thomas-the-Tank and Simba), Akure, Nigeria to Kano, Nigeria (with TtT and OD), Akure, Nigeria to Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire (with TtT)

Mortar

pony pony
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN MessengerSkype Name
YeaWhatever
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Completly Retarded Article wrote:
There were 300,000 fraudsters active globally last year, a rise of 3 per cent from 2006.

How in the world did they come up with this number? This statement alone should be a giant red flag that they have NO idea what they are talking about. Morons.

Safari<i>"i have arrive safe in namibia"</i> - Tony Kalabi - The Road to the Skeleton Coast
Safari<i>"he is in aswan"</i> - Larry Ken - The Road to Abu Sunbul
Safari The Road to the Hot Zone</a>
T.W.A.T<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89779" target="_blank"> The Making of a TWAT</a>
T.W.A.T<a href="http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100535" target="_blank"> The Second Coming of TWAT</a>
Golden Pith Mortar x17
JMRazor
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ultra received 10 scam emails last year as opposed to 9.75 in 2006 (one of the emails had a link to some funny internet joke so it wasn't considered a full scam).

Ultra then extrapolated that there's probably about 30,000 more people/institutions out there that received emails in 2007, so it just multiplied and got the 300,000.

Quite simple really. Rolling Eyes

____________________________ pony Pretty Prancing Pink Pony Master pony _____________________________

Tattoo Tattoo Tattoo
Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Pith Helmet Easter Egg 2013
Closed lad accounts x 43
Mortar x 16
Sand Timer x 3
bearkat419
Baiting Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tommo Shanter wrote:
Now if we could just get them fraudstars all on safari in one place at the same time and drop a bomb on it
Too bad certain governments are more interested in chasing phantom terrorists than going after real international criminals...

"Warned for lad hugging"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So why don't we send them on a safari to Waziristan?

You know - the united States military has left some monkey in a trunkbox. We could steal it!

Headlines in the news:: Nigerian Fraudstars Invade Pakistan/Afghanistan border

vLad's ebay auction states "Wonderful seller! Thinks "out of the box" to get item to you."
<br>
starstar Ghana Easter Egg 2013

Vcamera <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrsRobinson419"> Click to see the videos Ed sent me.</a><br>
<A href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/index.html"> Eliza's lad quotes, photos, and audio files</a>
Mortar x12
*this sig icon has been censored* <br><a href="http://members.419eater.com/~eliza_doolittle/809104_ML.pdf" > click here</a> for a Bank Account Transfer Form.
Golden Pith
rootuser
Elite Baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's mean that they keep the monkey in a trunkbox...

Mortar

pony pony
Ex.
Nature's Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

bearkat419 wrote:
Tommo Shanter wrote:
Now if we could just get them fraudstars all on safari in one place at the same time and drop a bomb on it
Too bad certain governments are more interested in chasing phantom terrorists than going after real international criminals...

Good thing the responsibility doesn't lie just with those certain governments, but with all governments.

JACK B QUICK YOU ARE NATURES ASHOLE DO NOT EMAIL ME ANYMORE OK - R0ger Jon3s (Right you are mate)

i much prefer s3x in the 4ss - B4rrister 0luwa

United Kingdom x28 United States x9 Nigeria Czech Republic Denmark Argentina Spain Australia Canada Benin Germany United Nations Portugal Question
Closed lad accounts x97 (Updated 02/20/09) pony pony
Tsnerd
Not quite a Newb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Folks, let's steer this thread back to the OP's point.

Mortar x 6
AH, AH, AH! Two little !
Ex.
Nature's Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Staying in topic, I can see how clever people are easily scammed. Most people know, whether they like it or not, that smarter people tend to be more deceptive and selfish and believe that they are way to smart to be scammed. Scammers depends on this ego and exploit it.

EDIT: BTW, whats the deal with Ultrascam? Feel free to explain in a PM if need be.

JACK B QUICK YOU ARE NATURES ASHOLE DO NOT EMAIL ME ANYMORE OK - R0ger Jon3s (Right you are mate)

i much prefer s3x in the 4ss - B4rrister 0luwa

United Kingdom x28 United States x9 Nigeria Czech Republic Denmark Argentina Spain Australia Canada Benin Germany United Nations Portugal Question
Closed lad accounts x97 (Updated 02/20/09) pony pony
Tommo Shanter
Baiting Guru

Location: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad. - Euripides

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Eliza_Doolittle wrote:
...You know - the united States military has left some monkey in a trunkbox. ...

If it's expired from asphyxiation I know where you can all order a new one, along with no end of other exotics...

http://forum.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132201&highlight=

"You need to visit a good psychiatrist very fast, because some nuts are missing from your brain." - PROF.SOLUDO
"...it is very important you forward the your cycling proficiency certificate which by right belongs to you." - Prof Charles Soludo.
"note i can still change my mind to blow you off and whenever" - T0ny 'The Killerman' Erik
YOUR GENERATION WILL ROAST IN ABSTRACT POVERTY,BASTARD IDIOT -Daniel Mensah

pony pony pony Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Pretty Rose Goat
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic